Votes: 73 54.5%
  • His terms

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • Gets a pass this season (Covid)

Votes: 34 25.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
While JB has probably dragged out his career a few years longer than he should have, he really should have one more year. Get the crowds back and the Dome and give him a glorious send off with 37,000 fans the first Saturday in March 2022.

He should not coach beyond next year. It’s time to end the Boeheim era. I just hope we can make the NCAAT next year, as I’d hate to see him go out not playing in the tournament the last few years of his career.

Pretty much what I was going to write so I'll just quote you. I'd vote "give him a pass due to covid", but it's obviously not that black and white. JB is all I've known as a 'Cuse fan in my lifetime, and he absolutely deserves a proper send off with fans in the seats even if it means another mediocre season. However, I truly hope that he and JW can come to the realization that next year is it. The time has come.

For '22, if the next coach is sitting on the bench (i.e. Red), then name him the coach-in-waiting and perhaps, that keeps a potentially solid '22 recruiting class in play. If not, then we do a national search and hope we hire the right guy to get us back to early 2010's status.

I didn't think about the possibility of JB retiring shortly before a new season and forcing JWs hand making Red the next HC at least for that season. Don't lose out on recruits bailing and JB gives his choice an audition for the year. I can see this scenario playing out. Sorry guys, didn't think of that one to add to the poll when I made it but definitely a likely possibility.

I didn't think about the possibility of JB retiring shortly before a new season and forcing JWs hand making Red the next HC at least for that season. Don't lose out on recruits bailing and JB gives his choice an audition for the year. I can see this scenario playing out. Sorry guys, didn't think of that one to add to the poll when I made it but definitely a likely possibility.

Hypothetical...

If Wildhack had given JB the gold watch in 2018, he would have had two options:
  • Promote Red. The fanbase has a fit giving the keys to an unproven assistant.
  • Hire an outsider. Like Forrest Gump said, you never know what you're gonna get.
By letting JB stay a few years longer, Wildhack has had plenty of time to evaluate Red as a #1 assistant. When the time comes, Wildhack knows just how seriously he should consider Red as a candidate.

And maybe, just maybe, JB already knows exactly when R-Day will be. And Wildhack knows too.

Hypothetical...

• Hire an outsider. Like Forrest Gump said, you never know what you're gonna get.
By letting JB stay a few years longer, Wildhack has had plenty of time to evaluate Red as a #1 assistant. When the time comes, Wildhack knows just how seriously he should consider Red as a candidate.

And maybe, just maybe, JB already knows exactly when R-Day will be. And Wildhack knows too.

Stop it. Red is not going to be the next HC. From the family it will be Hopkins, outside Oats will get first call. All likely it will be Hopkins who will get the first call before Oats. Why people over think this is beyond me.

I have no doubt he will attempt #3. I’m sure he thinks he should choose who inherits HIS program. And he will also try to do right by Red or Gerry.
With the roster he is likely to leave that would actually harm whatever assistant inherited the roster and had to have their chance to be a HC be like that.
It’s not like Dean Smith leaving Antwan Jamison and Vince Carter for Bill Guthridgd.
Hypothetical...

You completely ignore Mike Hopkins.
There is a lot of stuff that isn’t talked about internally that were major factors to what happened in 2018.
I am not going to say them.

If you think Hopkins left in 2018 and didn’t know Jim Boeheim wanted to continue coaching you aren’t giving the whole picture.
Hop prevented an ugly situation by doing what he did.

There is a lot of stuff that isn’t talked about internally that were major factors to what happened in 2018.

If you think Hopkins left in 2018 and didn’t know Jim Boeheim wanted to continue coaching you aren’t giving the whole picture.

Hop wasn't here in 2018, and was no longer an option if Wildhack was going to force JB to stick to the Coyle plan after the 2018 season ended.

Hulk stop it or just say this is your opinion.

Not just my opinion it's fact. Just think bout it. Hopkins finishing last last year and likely this year at UW, and probably near bottom next year at UW of the Pac 12 won't matter.

Hop wasn't here in 2018, and was no longer an option if Wildhack was going to force JB to stick to the Coyle plan after the 2018 season ended.
Why do you think Hop wasn’t here.

Also there was no way Wildhack was letting JB coach that last season without a contract extension.
We had no ability to recruit without Wildhack giving JB the extension when Hop left.

Hop saved an ugly situation.
He wasn’t being given the keys when he was suppose to be taking over.

Not just my opinion it's fact. Just think bout it. Hopkins finishing last last year and likely this year at UW, and probably near bottom next year at UW of the Pac 12 won't matter.
He was talking about a hypothetical. It’s not a fact. Hop had already left. Autry wasn’t going to get the job. JB would have never retired when he said he was supposed to because Hop had already left.
Or else Hop doesn’t leave. Hop was getting the job if he stayed.

Why do you think Hop wasn’t here.

Also there was no way Wildhack was letting JB coach that last season without a contract extension.
We had no ability to recruit without Wildhack giving JB the extension when Hop left.

Hop saved an ugly situation.
He wasn’t being given the keys when he was suppose to be taking over.

How did Hop get dragged into this conversation in the 1st place? I was responding to a poster who suggested that JB might try to stick it up Wildhack's ass by retiring at the last minute forcing Red to get promoted.

I proposed that Wildhack might feel more comfortable making Red the HC in 2023 then he was in 2018.

Not sure why you felt the need to defend Hop when he wasn't even on trial.

How did Hop get dragged into this conversation in the 1st place? I was responding to a poster who suggested that JB might try to stick it up Wildhack's ass by retiring at the last minute forcing Red to get promoted.

I proposed that Wildhack might feel more comfortable making Red the HC in 2023 then he was in 2018.

Not sure why you felt the need to defend Hop when he wasn't even on trial.
You said if Wildhack gave JB the gold watch in 2018.

If that happens Hopkins never would have left.

Wildhack has a really unenviable task.

Replace Jesus but recognize that the disciples have zero HC experience and may be likely to resort to a continuance of what has been so unsatisfactory this last half decade, because that’s all they know... That they haven‘t been recruiting 5-stars, so may not have the clout/confidence of players who might have the impact we need... But, going outside means you likely are firing a staff of loyal alums. That’s very close to unimaginable and untenable.

Then, how does he factor in Hopkins’ struggles at Washington? If Hop was the beat and brightest of our alum crew and ‘can’t hack it as a HC,’ why would he trust that the second on the previous pecking order might be better-equipped?

If I had to guess, I’d say Red gets the job. Because JB‘s road from alum assistant to HoF HC is the model, and because it would kinda stink to can ’our people.’ I’m not saying this is the right thing to do for the program, but in the absence of any clearcut better solutions, that’s the one that makes the most sense and is the least ‘offensive.’ And it sorta almost guarantees it’s a move that lasts, whereas an outsider might view it as just a job en route to the next job.

JB tried to get a deal for GMac to be the HCIW after Hop left.
Wildhack didn’t do it.

After the loyalty from Wildhack it would be super rude if JB announced his retirement in the off-season right before season unless it was for health or personal families reasons.
JB won’t do that.

Wildhack has a really unenviable task.

Replace Jesus but recognize that the disciples have zero HC experience and may be likely to resort to a continuance of what has been so unsatisfactory this last half decade, because that’s all they know... That they haven‘t been recruiting 5-stars, so may not have the clout/confidence of players who might have the impact we need... But, going outside means you likely are firing a staff of loyal alums. That’s very close to unimaginable and untenable.

Then, how does he factor in Hopkins’ struggles at Washington? If Hop was the beat and brightest of our alum crew and ‘can’t hack it as a HC,’ why would he trust that the second on the previous pecking order might be better-equipped?

If I had to guess, I’d say Red gets the job. Because JB‘s road from alum assistant to HoF HC is the model, and because it would kinda stink to can ’our people.’ I’m not saying this is the right thing to do for the program, but in the absence of any clearcut better solutions, that’s the one that makes the most sense and is the least ‘offensive.’ And it sorta almost guarantees it’s a move that lasts, whereas an outsider might view it as just a job en route to the next job.
I think RF is correct.
It’s not going to be a current assistant.
Wildhack will do a national search.
I like Autry but it’s got to be somebody not on the current bench.

You said if Wildhack gave JB the gold watch in 2018.

If that happens Hopkins never would have left.

Hop left in 2017. While JB still had one year to go.

Would it shock you to know that JB tried to talk Hop into staying.

When Hop got the offer from UW, he was really conflicted, and he went over to JB's house to talk about it (since they lived across the street from each other).

JB tried to convince Hop to stay in Syracuse and take over the following year.

At the end of the day, Hop chose to be closer to his ailing father with an opportunity to coach in his father's hometown of Seattle. Even if Wildhack fired JB on the spot and named Hop the new HC in April 2017, it wouldn't have made a difference.

I will never fault a guy for choosing family over alma mater.

What happens in 2022 or 2023 is anybody's guess. As long as Hop is still concerned about his dad, he might not want to leave the West Coast.

A lot can happen in 1-2 years.

With the roster he is likely to leave that would actually harm whatever assistant inherited the roster and had to have their chance to be a HC be like that.
It’s not like Dean Smith leaving Antwan Jamison and Vince Carter for Bill Guthridgd.

Good point. Let’s just say Boeheim and Hop are still good “Buddies” for a reason...

When Hop got the offer from UW, he was really conflicted, and he went over to JB's house to talk about it (since they lived across the street from each other).

At the end of the day, Hop chose to be closer to his ailing father with an opportunity to coach in his father's hometown of Seattle. Even if Wildhack fired JB on the spot and named Hop the new HC in April 2017, it wouldn't have made a difference.

What happens in 2022 or 2023 is anybody's guess. As long as Hop is still concerned about his dad, he might not want to leave the West Coast.

No offense I know what happened.
I don’t post it because you don’t burn sources.

There is stuff I am sure you don’t know that is part of the puzzle.

Also there is stuff I REALLY want to want to respond in this but won’t. It’s not the complete picture.

To be clear I said, "JB retiring shortly before a new season and forcing JWs hand making Red the next HC at least for that season." I didn't necessarily mean JB sticking it up JWs ass. Meant more like JB being loyal to his guys and making sure they get a shot.

To be clear I said, "JB retiring shortly before a new season and forcing JWs hand making Red the next HC at least for that season." I didn't necessarily mean JB sticking it up JWs ass. Meant more like JB being loyal to his guys and making sure they get a shot.
JB isn’t going to screw over JW and retire right before the season for a non-emergency reason.

Especially if he is given 2 more years.

And, there are a few more potential moving parts to Hop and whether he'd come back:

Is his Dad still alive then?
Is he still the HC at UW then?
Is his wife hankering to get back home to NY State?
Has JB left yet?

Hypothetical...

We already went down this road with Jim before. He already had "his day" picked out and announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom