CoachDMustStay.com... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

CoachDMustStay.com...

This is thread is highly entertaining for multiple posters so thanks to everyone in this thread.
I'm glad it's amusing you. I figured a change from fretting over what uniform the team will wear would be a good distraction before Friday.

Like I said, only in Syracuse will fans get this passionate about a 27-39 coach.

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC

Like I said, only in Syracuse will fans get this passionate about a 27-39 coach.
I'm not passionate about Babers, I'm passionate about not hiring a new f@ccing coach every 4-5 years. There are things within this current staff and team that are fixable and will make them competitive. Why not try everything to make that happen?

Nick Saban ain't our next coach, nor is the "next great thing" coming here for any amount of time, and if they do they're just as likely to be Scott Frost as they are a big success. No thanks, been through all of this too much since P was fired. I'd rather shoot all the shots rather than just be ready for another re-do.

True, and that's a good point but it also comes back to his decisions using timeouts and clock management which have been horrific, even you have to admit that. The choice to go for 2 or not is up in the air and one you can argue effectively either way but some of the other stuff is not. The bigger concern I think people have is that Babers publicly saying he agrees with all his decisions and wouldn't change a thing is a real bad sign and doesn't lead to much confidence in him getting right moving forward more times then not.
I don’t think people actually watched the press conference. He said all decisions can be second guessed when you look back at them. He said in the moment he made them, he was sure he was making a good call

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC

Wait, that win total can’t include all the freebie OOC games right? I mean, there’s no way we’re arguing over a coach with that record including games like Albany. Are we….?

I am serious I appreciate a good argument by the original poster and I mean come on CousCuse going full CousCuse
I hate to think Gilbert has to leave and then goes on to be as successful as Hacket and Lester. Which I think he will. Gilbert is 42, same age as Hafley.

Sterlin Gilbert has brought in a stable of excellent QB's, as good as SU has ever had. Tony White is doing a solid job as DC, but those QB's, Gilbert has to be retained. Move him up if Sino doesn't work out, you need a southern coach in the ACC.
I hope our QB Room is as good as you say it is.

I'm not passionate about Babers, I'm passionate about not hiring a new f@ccing coach every 4-5 years. There are things within this current staff and team that are fixable and will make them competitive. Why not try everything to make that happen?

Nick Saban ain't our next coach, nor is the "next great thing" coming here for any amount of time, and if they do they're just as likely to be Scott Frost as they are a big success. No thanks, been through all of this too much since P was fired. I'd rather shoot all the shots rather than just be ready for another re-do.

I am not even advocating for the guy to go...maybe he will work out, maybe he won't.

But we are a P-5 team and its been 6 seasons. Neither our winning percentage nor our recruiting has improved over that of his predecessor, and he regularly is making questionable decisions that cost us games.

It's a worthy discussion with points on both sides.

I don't want to keep firing coaches every 4-5 (or in this case 6) years either. But that's just what big conference teams do when they aren't winning. Look at all the other power conference doormats. Pretty much all of them have a shorter tenured coach than we do because that , at some point, its time to try to improve.

Last edited:
Okay, okay, I'm as frustrated as anyone about Dino and his in-game coaching woes. He has always had them, and they really haven't gotten a ton better. But I want everyone to try and look at this in a different way.

As the esteemed SWC75 has discussed numerous times here, Virginia Tech basically gave Frank Beamer an ultimatum - change your coordinators or we'll change the head coach. He did, Bud Foster came in, and the rest is history.

I actually think Dino has done what he needs to do on the assistant coach front.

1) Tony White seems like a solid DC and he firmly believes in getting a lot of guys playing time. That helps with depth and with growth. A very solid hire.
2) Swag Daddy is a dude this team can't afford to lose. Top-notch recruiter and has done a FANTASTIC job at coaching up the safeties and nickels. He has been here right along with Dino, and they need to do everything they can to keep him in the fold.
3) Chip West is a long-time top recruiter in the Delmarva area and has done well in recruiting and coaching up the corners.
4) Sterlin Gilbert is an OC that wants to run the ball. It's also what Dino wants to do. Unfortunately, the Offensive Line has always been too thin, or not up to ACC standards. This year he has a scheme, a QB, an RB, AND an OL that makes this approach work. Defenses look nervous and confused out there. They have to pick their poison.
5) Mike Schmidt is the solution to Sterlin's OL issue. The dude is a top-notch OL coach. He has coached up the young guys and also has done a great job getting the vets to play with more aggression out there. This OL is a huge reason why Tucker and Shrader are running so well. I've been watching replays of each game, and man they are road graders.
---

The assistants are in place to coach up players. That's exactly what SU needs. This will never be a destination for fully formed top-level D1 athletes. They need to be made into those through coaching and S&C. I'm encouraged by how this coaching staff is handling all the young players and is helping them develop. It bodes well for the future.

Dino is a great leader of men, off the field, in the locker room, and with his morals and beliefs about how a program should be run. I believe his values match what SU wants in a head coach. He is also beloved by the ACC press corps. I'm friends with quite a few of them, and they all love Dino. Great guy, a fun storyteller, a nice dude who takes the time to talk to these reporters. He's a great ambassador for SU and SU football.

His one glaring weakness isn't his inability to change. He's been willing to fire people on his staff and look for upgrades where he needs them. He almost always holds onto his recruiting classes because he creates a family atmosphere and is a trustworthy guy.

His one weakness is his cluelessness in in-game decision-making. He has actually impeded this team's progress by making (or not making) some decisions during the game. For whatever reason, he seems flustered and nervous about the type of decisions he makes in-game. It's obvious he's self-conscious about it given his presser on Monday. No dude with confidence in those abilities would say they did nothing wrong in-game. Someone with confidence is willing to say "Yep I made a mistake there but won't next time." He doth protest too much.

He needs someone to take over those decisions or needs to be hearing just one voice in his ear about what to do with things that run the gamut from calling timeouts, to taking or not taking penalties, to clock management, etc... Big picture game plans have been fine this year (with the possible exception of Rutgers). It's the in-game calls that are questionable.

Wildhack needs to get someone in here who can help focus Dino in making the right calls, and more than anything having a consistent attitude about how to handle game situations. What I mean by this is he needs someone to help him be more consistent in his decision-making process because currently, it seems as if a lot of his decisions are "fly by the seat of your pants" and not something that is a part of what they believe the culture of the team is. Are you going to be a riverboat gambler or a conservative coach who plays it close to the vest? What are the strengths of your team and the weaknesses and are you constantly going to take advantage of those strengths and weaknesses throughout the game and not just willy-nilly when the feeling hits?

I'm not sure who that person is or what their designation is, but he needs a Czar of In-Game Decision Making in the worst way. Let Dino have the final say, but make the czar be the one voice in his ear who pays attention to all of the above so Dino can make the most well-informed and analytical decision that the situation requires. Do that and I think this program starts cooking with grease.
One thing I thing we need to recalibrate is the long rope Beamer had.

That was before the crazy advances in year-round S&C at the high school level. Before the portal. Before the Internet became crazy. Everything has become accelerated.

Coach Mac may not have made it to year five even with a Nebraska win in todays world.

By no means is patience a bad thing, but in year six, in a regime that got 10 wins with mostly the previous coach’s players with some savvy transfers, and not be able to get to that total in 3 1/2 years thereafter, people are more than allowed to go into What mode.

Which stinks..mostly because it means posts about hiring Dazzler or other coaches than do not make a grain of sense.

I don’t think people actually watched the press conference. He said all decisions can be second guessed when you look back at them. He said in the moment he made them, he was sure he was making a good call
On the radio interview right after the game he was much more definitive about the issue, Would do it all again, etc.

I still think we find a way to 6 wins but there is no doubt key decisions will play a part in that and I’ll be watching closely (shocker there). We won’t be blown out this season imo. With the current style we’ve adopted, we’ll at least have a shot, and with that comes decisions. When you’re down 28-7 in the fourth it’s not nearly as important or magnified as much. But as I type this I remember when dino didn’t use timeouts last year in a two score game.

Seriously, I love the run heavy RPO/ Option offense. This isn't Dinos offense or what we've seen previously. Gilbert must have a heavy influence.

The motion, the misdirection, blocking schemes are fun to watch for this rushing attack. If play action and rollouts start hitting it could all work.

This is the offense I think works for this program. The thought that because we have a Dome means we have to throw the ball all over the place or run 90 plays is bogus imo.

Any time your QB is a true dual threat the defense has to account for him and that makes a huge difference for a talent deficient offense like ours. Imagine if they start incorporating the jet sweep more too. Not to mention we can't recruit enough skill players to run a pro-style offense. Our QBs aren't playing in the NFL and recent WR history has been sketchy.

So, in a long winded manner, I'll take any coach that wants to run this offense or a similar run based scheme.

On the radio interview right after the game he was much more definitive about the issue, Would do it all again, etc.
I’ll have to find it to listen. In his weekly press conference on Mon it wasn’t that way at all

Seriously, I love the run heavy RPO/ Option offense. This isn't Dinos offense or what we've seen previously. Gilbert must have a heavy influence.

The motion, the misdirection, blocking schemes are fun to watch for this rushing attack. If play action and rollouts start hitting it could all work.

This is the offense I think works for this program. The thought that because we have a Dome means we have to throw the ball all over the place or run 90 plays is bogus imo.

Any time your QB is a true dual threat the defense has to account for him and that makes a huge difference for a talent deficient offense like ours. Imagine if they start incorporating the jet sweep more too. Not to mention we can't recruit enough skill players to run a pro-style offense. Our QBs aren't playing in the NFL and recent WR history has been sketchy.

So, in a long winded manner, I'll take any coach that wants to run this offense or a similar run based scheme.
I don’t think this is the takeaway. We had plenty of great WR under Dino. He’s not trying to run a pro-style offense.

The quick tempo game works when a) you can block and b) no one knows how the system works. It got found out and needed an infusion of fresh thinking. Some of what we’re doing now is an evolution. And some is using what you have (big fast RB and QB, better OL). The OL is better and it’s allowing the system to work.

I think you’ll see some tempo return then more comfortable GS gets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom