Coaches vs Cancer moving to Brooklyn. | Syracusefan.com

Coaches vs Cancer moving to Brooklyn.

What's a word that is similar to, but much more negative than, downgrade?

I don't know. The Garden is absolutely awesome, but the Barclays Center might end up being the nicest basketball arena in the country.

I don't know. The Garden is absolutely awesome, but the Barclays Center might end up being the nicest basketball arena in the country.

That may be true, but it's not the Garden.

Barclays is going to be big-time. People just brushing it off and saying "it's not the Garden" should wake up. There's a reason the Garden is under construction.

Also, Brooklyn is happening. And Atlantic Station has has more direct lines to the subway than Penn Station does, making it easier for people anywhere in the metro area to commute.

As somebody who lives about ten subway stops from the future site of the Barclays Center, I approve.

That may be true, but it's not the Garden.

It's not the Garden, and I love the Garden, but Barclays is gonna be pretty damn sweet anyway. No reason we can't play at both, we are New York's College team after all.

It's not the Garden, and I love the Garden, but Barclays is gonna be pretty damn sweet anyway. No reason we can't play at both, we are New York's College team after all.

I'm fine with that, but I do think it's a downgrade.

But I'll admit to being biased; to me the Garden IS the Mecca. Far from perfect, and definitely in need of a face lift, so to speak, but there's no where else I'd rather watch a basketball game and I think there is definitely something to be said for playing at the Garden meaning a lot mroe than playing at the Barclays. (While understanding this sentiment could change as time goes on).

But it's not like it's a big deal; this is a stupid preseason tournament we play in like every 3 years. I'm not going to not go because it's in Brooklyn (though it will be more of a pain in the ass to get to, but whatever) or anything like that.

It may work for you guys in the City who can get there by subway. But it is a very unattractive drive for those in the northern suburbs like Westchester and Fairfield Counties who can easily get to MSG. And I bet the folks at the Blarney Rock don't like the idea either.

Cannot get there from Bayside (even though I don't live there)...and the whole Amtrak thing has gotten more complicated.

The Garden is under going a renovation, afterwards capacity will be smaller with prices higher. Although it is the Garden, going to the Barclay's Center is probably going to be a little less $$$.

The novelty of the venue being brand new will be attractive, and it's not like Cuse plays in this event every year. And they don't even open up the 400 level at MSG for these events. In recent years I've been impressed though with how full MSG has been for November/December SU games, I can remember not all that long ago where the 300 level was mostly empty for these games. Not sure what the turnout is for these when SU isn't playing there, but I would guess that the fact that this event isn't one that can fill the Garden may also be driving this move.

To be clear, if I had to choose between the two for SU to play at, I'm choosing MSG. I just think the opportunity to play at both is sweet. We know we're playing at MSG every year (for now at least).

The more I think about it, the more absurd it is. MSG = Penn Station = Jersey commuter trains and Amtrak and LIRR = short walk from GCT = easy drive from northern suburbs = easy subway ride/bus ride/ walk from anywhere in Manhattan. Atlantic Yards might be marginally better for some folks who live on east side of the East River and those who drive from Staten Island (for those multitudes of fans who live on Staten Island). But that's it. Obviously this move is driven by some kind of financial arrangement, i.e., a bigger piece of the action for Coaches vs Cancer.

Ok, everybody can crash at my apartment. I'm sure my wife will be fine with it.

At the Cuse NC game at the Garden, I sat next to an older couple from Germany who just went to the game because they had to go the world's most famous arena. They didn't know a thing about college basketball. There is nothing else like the buzz in MSG. Brooklyn cannot compete. Plus, CTO is right... it's a royal pain in the ass for most people to commute into Brooklyn. I'm sure that the majority of people from Jersey won't bother.

The Barclays Center is THE reason MSG is getting a major makeover... MSG has rested on its history and was turning into a dump compared to the newer venues.

Maybe truTV will finally go HD on all carriers by the time these games get played...:bat:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom