Coaching Carousel | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Carousel

Jim McElwain says "hello".

Cusefan78 said:
Strong is a very good Florida recruiter plus would get along with alumni and boosters. Strong fits the Miami mold and would do very well there. After the grob experiment I'm a firm believer that coaches need to fit with the school. Syracuse is a blue collar school that has to bring in project recruits for the most part so we need a blue collar coach that understand our mold. Grob was a flash that thought he could run a spread with option players. Wasn't going to work. Marrone came in and blue collared the team and it worked. Shafer to an exstent is doing the same but between inexperienced players, injuries and stupid coaching mistakes isn't achieving the same as Marrone at this point. With time I think he gets it to click the question is does coyle and co want to wait around.

CNY might be a fairly blue collar area, but I'm not sure anything about SU or its student body screams "blue collar" to me.

When I think "blue collar" football I think of the guys who get erect over the notion of JJ Watt chopping wood in a cabin in the winter...old school "establish the run" and "ban the forward pass" footbaw guys.

I don't think that's what you meant though, because Marrone's last offense was fun once the light went on in his head.

Interesting. I didn't know Twitter existed in 1988.

Lots of twits, though.

image.jpeg

If Strong leaves, Texas is going to slide a blank check in front of Saban before they talk to anyone else.
Saban is going back to the NFL from all indications. Indy or Detroit it sounds like. Detroit's ownership wants to pay one guy a boat-load to run the whole show and have total power, and Saban is atop their list.Granted Saban had that in Miami and failed, but maybe he takes another shot. And in Indy Saban can probably win a Super Bowl within 5 years with Luck in his prime and it will be the best NFL coaching job open this offseason, he just has to have a talk with the owner to tell him to shut up and not tweet.

It would be like leaving the Dallas Cowboys to go coach the titans. No one is leaving Texas for Miami.
If he feels he is on the hot seat in Texas and might be entering his final season there before getting fired, then getting out now with your reputation still somewhat in tact when other major schools still want you is a wise move

It's not rumors. Mutual interest and UT is ready to move on. I'd be shocked if CS is at UT next year
Perhaps, but he can do better than Miami.

Full_Rebar said:
Right, but it won't hurt them to try it again.

Especially if they win it all this year.

He might be ready for a new challenge.

At his age, he probably won't want to try the NFL again.

Perhaps, but he can do better than Miami.
Really? Where? I haven't parsed through all the openings but which schools that will be open have the history, talent bed, etc, of Miami?

CNY might be a fairly blue collar area, but I'm not sure anything about SU or its student body screams "blue collar" to me.

When I think "blue collar" football I think of the guys who get erect over the notion of JJ Watt chopping wood in a cabin in the winter...old school "establish the run" and "ban the forward pass" footbaw guys.

I don't think that's what you meant though, because Marrone's last offense was fun once the light went on in his head.

For the life of me, i dont get this "blue collar" coaching mentality BS. Shafer tried to get buy in with this mantra, and all he did was lose a lot of football games. How is Shafer blue collar when he makes 2M dollars a year? What does anything about socio economic status have to do with football?

The school could demo flint/day and build the new coach a gated compound on top of the mount for all i care. I just want SU to win some football games. To pass for over 300 yards a game. To beat some P5 teams other than WFU. Its really not asking much.

Really? Where? I haven't parsed through all the openings but which schools that will be open have the history, talent bed, etc, of Miami?
Miami hasn't been good since they tore down the Orange Bowl in 2008. Actually, since Larry Coker. No fan support, no on campus stadium (and nowhere nearby to build one), huge recruiting competition and ridiculous alumni expectations.

Missouri and South Carolina come to mind as better jobs.

Miami hasn't been good since they tore down the Orange Bowl in 2008. Actually, since Larry Coker. No fan support, no on campus stadium (and nowhere nearby to build one), huge recruiting competition and ridiculous alumni expectations.

Exactly. This isn't the Miami of yesteryear that won multiple titles. They need a major backing by the admin and fans to becoming somewhat relevant again.

orangeinjersey said:
For the life of me, i dont get this "blue collar" coaching mentality BS. Shafer tried to get buy in with this mantra, and all he did was lose a lot of football games. How is Shafer blue collar when he makes 2M dollars a year? What does anything about socio economic status have to do with football? The school could demo flint/day and build the new coach a gated compound on top of the mount for all i care. I just want SU to win some football games. To pass for over 300 yards a game. To beat some P5 teams other than WFU. Its really not asking much.

I don't think it's so much about being blue collar on the field. It's more about connecting to the community. Shafer did that well. Just a lack of wins is doing him in.

Think about how Gross's southern Cal attitude rubbed the entire fanbase the wrong way.

Sounds a lot like USC prior to Pete Carroll.

I don't think it's so much about being blue collar on the field. It's more about connecting to the community. Shafer did that well. Just a lack of wins is doing him in.

Think about how Gross's southern Cal attitude rubbed the entire fanbase the wrong way.

this is all noise. If GRob or HCSS were winning games none of this would matter.

Sounds a lot like USC prior to Pete Carroll.

Hard to make that comparison other than for time between NCs. USC is on a much higher level and is one of the best jobs in football.

The LA Coliseum is literally across the street from the campus, a short walk from the student book store (through a beautiful rose garden nonetheless). Holds 100,000 with great site lines and some of the best weather in the country. Very wealthy alum and one of the absolute best football histories and traditions in the game. Great fanbase and some of the most fertile recruiting territory in the country. These kids have little reason to leave the left coast or CA for that matter.

The only downside may be very high expectations.

orangeinjersey said:
this is all noise. If GRob or HCSS were winning games none of this would matter.

Agreed. But I know who resonates with me more as a fan. Shafer > Gross

I think you guys took it the wrong way. What I meant by blue collar is we need a guy that will put the time in to find the diamond in the rough then develop them into better player by junior year. I'm not saying shafer has done that with te older guys but he does seem to be able to target and bring in players with upside. Dungey was over looked by all the pac 12 schools. Lester saw his video and saw something no one else saw. Syracuse has never been the team that gets the high star talent we have always been the team that brings in like the arthur jones types. Over looked beacuse of something then blossomed into a force.

It's not rumors. Mutual interest and UT is ready to move on. I'd be shocked if CS is at UT next year

I wouldn't. No indication that UT is ready to move on. Charlie will be there next year.

Why is Strong a fit at Miami? He was a better fit at Louisville!
I see Strong going to Miami just to get away from the Texas alumni and boosters. The pressure there must be several times greater than pressure at Miami would ever be. Miami football is a spectator sport. Texas football is a religion.