Coaching Carousel | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Carousel

Pretty much guarantees that we are getting another coordinator and that we will be at the bottom of coaches salaries in the P5 for the forseable future.

This and Houston are examples of what SU should do but just won't.

Not only won't we pay to keep a coach or follow through on promises made (Marrone) but we won't search out a good coach and pay enough so that he will come here.

Awesome, makes my night.

EDIT: SU would be perfectly happy to let a coach like that go, not Houston or Memphis. Good for them, I'm jealous of the commitment from the school.

Pretty much guarantees that we are getting another coordinator and that we will be at the bottom of coaches salaries in the P5 for the forseable future.

Not only won't we pay to keep a coach or follow through on promises made (Marrone) but we won't search out a good coach and pay enough so that he will come here.

Awesome, makes my night.

EDIT: SU would be perfectly happy to let a coach like that go, not Houston or Memphis. Good for them, I'm jealous of the commitment from the school.
Perhaps, but we have new Chancellor and a new AD.
Herman and Fuentes are the highest of the hot right now and they were never realistic choices for us. We can afford a Babers or Campbell and the Houston and Memphis moves might be just the wake up call that is needed.

Perhaps, but we have new Chancellor and a new AD.
Herman and Fuentes are the highest of the hot right now and they were never realistic choices for us. We can afford a Babers or Campbell and the Houston and Memphis moves might be just the wake up call that is needed.

Kind of agree with you there, but just think of what is going through Saban's, Meyer's and their agent's heads right now...if these new HC's are getting 3 mil for those jobs, what should they be getting paid?

I know that I wold be.

So in the last 24 hours Cristobal has stated following all of the UF and FSU recruits on twitter lol. Rutgers board is reporting he's following 11 of their recruits now as well lol.

Did anyone see the Charlie Strong to Rutgers thread on their board? Classic Rutgers lol.

CuseOnly said:
Pretty much guarantees that we are getting another coordinator and that we will be at the bottom of coaches salaries in the P5 for the forseable future. This and Houston are examples of what SU should do but just won't. Not only won't we pay to keep a coach or follow through on promises made (Marrone) but we won't search out a good coach and pay enough so that he will come here. Awesome, makes my night. EDIT: SU would be perfectly happy to let a coach like that go, not Houston or Memphis. Good for them, I'm jealous of the commitment from the school.

Where does this broken promises to Marrone keep coming from?

Where does this broken promises to Marrone keep coming from?

I made it up, it's fictitious. Nobody told him that facility upgrades were on the way.

Awesome, makes my night.

I thought the same thing. Herman is getting offered what our whole staff makes. That's embarrassing. If they decide to fire Shafer, which I don't think they should, they better come strong with the next staffs budget. We joined a big boy league to presumably play big boy football. With all the new ACC money coming in the school has no excuses to pay the football staff G5 money.

If you're going to try to win on the cheap, just keep Shafer and see if he can turn it around with this young team. There is really no point in hiring a cheap staff every 4 years and hoping you hit with one. The school needs to prove that they are willing to put up or shut up. At some point, I'll stop spending my time and money on going to games and just watch on TV if they don't show me they are at least trying to invest in winning football.

I thought the same thing. Herman is getting offered what our whole staff makes. That's embarrassing. If they decide to fire Shafer, which I don't think they should, they better come strong with the next staffs budget. We joined a big boy league to presumably play big boy football. With all the new ACC money coming in the school has no excuses to pay the football staff G5 money.

If you're going to try to win on the cheap, just keep Shafer and see if he can turn it around with this young team. There is really no point in hiring a cheap staff every 4 years and hoping you hit with one. The school needs to prove that they are willing to put up or shut up. At some point, I'll stop spending my time and money on going to games and just watch on TV if they don't show me they are at least trying to invest in winning football.
Correction, Herman will get paid MORE than our entire staff.

This 1000000%

Can't remember a more depressing thread, and based on the history of bad decisions made by SU regarding the football program, I don't see how it gets any better.

Smart is one thing, I believe that Coyle and Seyverud are very smart, but outgunned and hopelessly out-funded against some equally smart AD's and Chancellors/Presidents that actually give a SHLIT about their football program is not good for SU.

Wow, look at all these schools fighting to retain their coaches.

Remarkable.

We had one of those.

Syracuse had a clause where, if the head coach didn't like it, he could become the offensive line coach of a bottom three NFL team.

;)

Can't remember a more depressing thread, and based on the history of bad decisions made by SU regarding the football program, I don't see how it gets any better.

Smart is one thing, I believe that Coyle and Seyverud are very smart, but outgunned and hopelessly out-funded against some equally smart AD's and Chancellors/Presidents that actually give a SHLIT about their football program is not good for SU.

Are we out-funded anymore? Time to invest in the program / assistant coaches by paying market rate. There is no other alternative, other than to close our eyes and swing for the fences on yet another unproven coach, hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.

Time to put the increased ACC revenues to good use.

Are we out-funded anymore? Time to invest in the program / assistant coaches by paying market rate. There is no other alternative, other than to close our eyes and swing for the fences on yet another unproven coach, hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.

This is my fear.

The history of the program suggests anything but "swinging for the fences".

EDIT: And yes, we are out funded.

I am sure that some extremely smart people will gather in a room, meet, discuss, weigh the options, go over everything in detail, deliberate and come up with what they believe is a reasonable decision.

When that decision is announced, the fans will collectively say..."What were these morons thinking!"

CuseOnly said:
I made it up, it's fictitious. Nobody told him that facility upgrades were on the way.

Which facility upgrades weren't made? I can name $5m+ that were.

I am sure that some extremely smart people will gather in a room, meet, discuss, weigh the options, go over everything in detail, deliberate and come up with what they believe is a reasonable decision.

When that decision is announced, the fans will collectively say..."What were these morons thinking!"

Completely agree. I'm expecting / wouldn't be remotely surprised to see Coyle's eventually prove to be somebody that hasn't even been mentioned in all of these pointless threads.

I'm just glad that Coyle is in charge of making this decision instead of Gross.

Which facility upgrades weren't made? I can name $5m+ that were.

Yes, because upgrading to modern day facilities with regard to training facilities will move the needle because every school doesn't already have that. That and really nice lobby ans meeting room will reel recruits in like crazy.

Syracuse University and the "old farmhouse" strategy for facilities.

The SU AD is still paying Greg Robinson. Think about that. SU has mortgages on buildings on campus. Think about that.

CuseOnly said:
Yes, because upgrading to modern day facilities with regard to training facilities will move the needle because every school doesn't already have that. That and really nice lobby ans meeting room will reel recruits in like crazy. Syracuse University and the "old farmhouse" strategy for facilities.

Huh? You changing the subject? He wanted those upgrades to the teaming and medical facilities. The lounge. The locker room. The auditorium. Again, you claim we broke promised facility upgrades. What were they? And don't say an IPF cause he was culpable.

Last edited:
Huh? You changing the subject? He wanted those upgrades to the teaming and medical facilities. The lounge. The locker room. The auditorium. Again, you claim we broke promised facility upgrades. What were they? And don't say an IPF cause he was culpable.

Why can't I say IPF, that was the one thing that we needed that would have affected recruiting immensely IMO and brought SU into the 21st century.

Not that we didn't need them desperately but "upgrading" all of those areas was 20 years overdue. It's the same as getting a new roof on your house, it doesn't make it worth more but without it, your house is worth less.

Before those things were upgraded we were at an FCS level or lower.