Coaching Carousel | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Carousel

I wouldn't. No indication that UT is ready to move on. Charlie will be there next year.
From everything I'm hearing on austin radio the administration today fully supports Charlie Strong. If Strong is not coaching Texas it was his choice.

Strong's biggest issue is that a) his offense is a disaster and he needs a new OC b) his qbs all suck (sound familiar?). He looking at facing a year 3 where he has to win or else with a new OC and a freshman QB or a juco transfer. To pile on to his troubles, Texas has an interim AD and he might be getting a new boss this summer and he is losing all of the big recruiting battles in the state of texas. I could see why he would want to walk away. Still don't think it happens but it wouldn't shock me either.

Houston: The school’s Board of Regents has approved a raise for Tom Herman to $3 million annually with hopes of a long-term contract. Herman's current deal pays him $1.35 million annually, with a buyout of $2.25 million owed to the school if he leaves for another job. The raise will go into effect if he agrees to the deal. The cost for other schools hoping to hire him just went up. Athletic director Hunter Yurachek tells reporters, “He’s going to get our best offer, and we’re going to make it really hard for him to choose to go to another institution at this time.”
http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Last edited:
As predicted.
Miami (FL): Miami’s search firm is contacting program alumni at the school’s request, and former Miami player Joaquin Gonzalez tweets that the consensus among their interviews has Mario Cristobal and Butch Davis as the favorites among former players, followed by Rob Chudzinski and Greg Schiano. Reports have indicated that the school views Davis as a "fallback" candidate.

Last edited:
That Houston deal wouldn't stop USC from grabbing Herman. I hope Miami is dumb enough to hire Schiano instead of Chudzinski or Cristobal. Schiano will get decent recruits for a couple of years but since he's a "meathead" he won't win big.

That Houston deal wouldn't stop USC from grabbing Herman. I hope Miami is dumb enough to hire Schiano instead of Chudzinski or Cristobal. Schiano will get decent recruits for a couple of years but since he's a "meathead" he won't win big.
If you mean Southern Cal I would agree. However, I think he would not go to South Carolina. He really is in great shape at Houston. He will get paid, they have a new on-campus stadium, great recruiting right in the city limits and lots of wealthy boosters. He can build what Biles and Paterson have, maybe better.

Houston: The school’s Board of Regents has approved a raise for Tom Herman to $3 million annually with hopes of a long-term contract. Herman's current deal pays him $1.35 million annually, with a buyout of $2.25 million owed to the school if he leaves for another job. The raise will go into effect if he agrees to the deal. The cost for other schools hoping to hire him just went up. Athletic director Hunter Yurachek tells reporters, “He’s going to get our best offer, and we’re going to make it really hard for him to choose to go to another institution at this time.”

Since you are taking this directly from their site you need to provide the link also.

interim AD, Charlie Strong is staying with the Longhorns. Go Longhorns!!

he's staying until he's not staying.

I love my current job. If i got a call tomorrow about an opportunity that was a combo of closer to home, less work, more money, you better beleive im listening.

he's staying until he's not staying.

I love my current job. If i got a call tomorrow about an opportunity that was a combo of closer to home, less work, more money, you better beleive im listening.

The situation you paint sounds too good to be true. I'm not sure how it relates to the situation in Austin or the people involved, but if it does relate I would have to say it would be a substantial factor in what eventually transpires.

Btw, I am a big fan of Mack Brown. He won at UNC, and then he took his talents to Austin and probably wound up his tenure there as a HOF coach. I really enjoy his work in the booth as well.

Last edited:
As predicted.
Miami (FL): Miami’s search firm is contacting program alumni at the school’s request, and former Miami player Joaquin Gonzalez tweets that the consensus among their interviews has Mario Cristobal and Butch Davis as the favorites among former players, followed by Rob Chudzinski and Greg Schiano. Reports have indicated that the school views Davis as a "fallback" candidate.

I can see Cristobal getting the job, he played there, good recruiting ties there.

Memphis and Houston are both banking on realignment part III. And they WANT to be a part of that. Better to spend the money now and keep the success and be there waiting when the BiG12 comes calling

They know they have good coaches which makes all the difference in the world. Fighting to keep them. I'm sure their fans aren't bitching about talent right now.

They know they have good coaches which makes all the difference in the world. Fighting to keep them. I'm sure their fans aren't bitching about talent right now.
Would we ever offer $3M to keep a good coach?

Would we ever offer $3M to keep a good coach?
Probably not. Every conference has/needs a Syracuse. We (and Wake) are the ACC's Syracuse.

And this needs to change now!

I can see Cristobal getting the job, he played there, good recruiting ties there.

So in the last 24 hours Cristobal has stated following all of the UF and FSU recruits on twitter lol. Rutgers board is reporting he's following 11 of their recruits now as well lol.

Coach O might be a great fit for South Carolina. They need a good recruiter. Team is a real mess at the moment.

Wow.
Memphis: The school mcoaching-search-ticker
extraordinary offer” before last month’s game against Ole Miss, athletic director Tom Bowen tells the Memphis Commercial Appeal, which adds that the offer is more than the $3 million Houston is prepared to offer Tom Herman. Fuente has yet to formally respond, and Bowen and Fuente declined to discuss specifics. Last November, Fuente signed a five-year extension that pays him $1.4 million annually. Fuente tells the paper, “We haven’t signed it yet, but we’re honored to get it," adding that he'll evaluate it when the time comes. Both Houston and Memphis have now made their cases public. It sends a message both to the current coaches and coaches elsewhere that they're willing to spend big money.