Coaching Lost the FSU Game | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Lost the FSU Game

The fact that the game was close was on coaching staff (clock management, poor special teams, and play calling). We put ourselves into position for the refs to screw us and lose the game (the game should have gone to OT). Not the first time we’ve seen either issue this year or previous years (excluding special teams).
No ST coach - Babers likely decision. At minimum Wildhack signs off on it.
No Clock management expert on staff - Maybe Babers call but by now on Wildhack
Continuous poor refereeing by ACC and ACC partners(!) - That’s on Wildhack.

JB goes off on refs (when deserved), the conference, the NCAA, national media, and local media because he’s basically untouchable at this point of his career. It’s not fair to expect Babers to do the same.

It’s just a logical critique, albeit a pessimistic one. I just don’t get the new aggressive style of going for it when your back isn’t against the wall. Just take the easy FG. If not it can come back to haunt you. This is conventional thinking.
A lot of those calls are gut ones and you can’t always make the right call. Try not to get caught up in the pessimism, doom and gloom and negativity after a loss.

I have always thought opposing fans who cried about a missed called being the reason their team lost call was weak. So I am not going to do that. Yes, it was a missed call, but that did not cost them the game.
It’s very simple, poor play calling, especially in the first quarter, poor clock management skills and missed tackles were all a much bigger factors.
cost them an opportunity to decide the game in ot

A lot of those calls are gut ones and you can’t always make the right call. Try not to get caught up in the pessimism, doom and gloom and negativity after a loss.
You’re right. I was super salty at Dino after this loss but I’m starting to calm down now. I just have to remember to take a few minutes after a tough loss before I post. Lol.

You’re right. I was super salty at Dino after this loss but I’m starting to calm down now. I just have to remember to take a few minutes after a tough loss before I post. Lol.
nothing has been easy in the kicking game this year

The coaching staff does not put SU in a position that would offset terrible officiating.
When you play conservatively, and don’t try and extend leads and bury your opponent when you have the chance, you are simply working without a net. Clock management, poor play calling, bad officiating, and missed opportunities can all bite you in the end. Unfortunately, the team got bit today.

Shrader said after the game we were too predictable in the first quarter and when we started trusting people and moving the ball around our offense got much better. Interesting thoughts.
Wonder what DB and Gilbert will think about that comment. It’s true, but still wonder if they speak to him.

My son ,once a high school football official, watched the game with me. He correctly called in the moment what DB should have done at the end of the first half and yelled when they snapped the ball with 25 seconds left on the play clock after the game clock didn’t start when it should have at the end of the game giving FSU 20 more seconds to get in field goal range.

When you play conservatively, and don’t try and extend leads and bury your opponent when you have the chance, you are simply working without a net. Clock management, poor play calling, bad officiating, and missed opportunities can all bite you in the end. Unfortunately, the team got bit today.
I just wanna know what the heck happend to dino, when he first came here he was all about going for it on 4th down and racking the score up and being extremely aggressive . Lewis , leaves and now he’s like a scared cat

I questioned a lot of play calls in the moment, so I know it's not just hindsight for me. Why did it take so long to throw the ball like we did in the second half? That clearly loosened things up for Tucker. Hopefully, the coaches have gained a bit more confidence in it now. We're not going to throw it all over the field, but mix in a bunch of rollouts where Shrader has the option to run and make the defense play honest. That second and goal where Shrader just ran into the pile frustrated me. I liked what I saw from a few different wideouts. I wonder if Benson gets to that one pass that Mang wasn't able to.

I just wanna know what the heck happend to dino, when he first came here he was all about going for it on 4th down and racking the score up and being extremely aggressive . Lewis , leaves and now he’s like a scared cat
Its obvious. Lewis is a much better play caller and in game coach. Lewis doesn’t stick with TD. Lewis doesn’t Turtle. Lewis knows how to manage the clock.
Lewis beats Rutgers and FSU. At this point go watch Kent State play. KENT STATE the worst job in college football. Worse than KU and ask yourself who is the better coach.

I saw 3 things by players that really frustrated me. One was when an FSU receiver had his hands on the ball and should have caught it but dropped it. I knew it was likely incomplete but just in case it was a fumble I expected our D to cover it up just in case because that's what you do. They didn't. No harm but ... not long after FSU throws a backward pass (lateral) which the back muffed. The ball goes to the grass and our players just look at it thinking it is incomplete while the FSU player picks it up and runs in for a TD. Then on the one play with the FSU QB running tight to the sidelines... looking like he would go out of bounds... so our D just assumes he would and don't touch him. So he gets a huge gain. Undisciplined and lazy.

I saw 3 things by players that really frustrated me. One was when an FSU receiver had his hands on the ball and should have caught it but dropped it. I knew it was likely incomplete but just in case it was a fumble I expected our D to cover it up just in case because that's what you do. They didn't. No harm but ... not long after FSU throws a backward pass (lateral) which the back muffed. The ball goes to the grass and our players just look at it thinking it is incomplete while the FSU player picks it up and runs in for a TD. Then on the one play with the FSU QB running tight to the sidelines... looking like he would go out of bounds... so our D just assumes he would and don't touch him. So he gets a huge gain. Undisciplined and lazy.
I agree 100, with one caveat. Had the SU player who was in a position to shove the FSU QB out of bounds near the sideline done so he would have been flagged for a personal foul - 15 yards and an automatic first down. The FSU QB would have flopped much like they do in the NBA.

I questioned a lot of play calls in the moment, so I know it's not just hindsight for me. Why did it take so long to throw the ball like we did in the second half? That clearly loosened things up for Tucker. Hopefully, the coaches have gained a bit more confidence in it now. We're not going to throw it all over the field, but mix in a bunch of rollouts where Shrader has the option to run and make the defense play honest. That second and goal where Shrader just ran into the pile frustrated me. I liked what I saw from a few different wideouts. I wonder if Benson gets to that one pass that Mang wasn't able to.

Mang is SIX FOOT SEVEN.

Shaq wasn’t getting to that pass, it was so far over his head.

Each of those plays caused me to lace together long and loud strings of profanities.

We are a young team; so we have to live through their learning curve. In the beginning of the season, calls were being made to announce the QB’s would be protected. It could be that notion was stuck in their heads and that’s why they assumed he was going out of bounds and didn’t touch him.
Football coaches are traditionally conservative and when under pressure they may elect to go conservative.
The teams that are rising up are the risk takers who play with passion!

That holding non call killed us; the announcers were livid about it.

Being predictable is killing our offense.

The players are passionate about winning; the coaches must support this passion with creative play calling.

"The Orange coaching staff certainly knew there was a chance the speedy Travis would return but seemed more tuned in to defend McKenzie Milton, a more traditional pocket passer who was FSU’s quarterback for the past three games."

And that right there is the money quote from Axe on this week's prep

What especially pssed me off about the non holding call is that the lineman made the call for the official but he ignored it. Right after he disengaged with Wax, he threw both hands up to indicate he didn't hold. That's' basically an admission of holding and a plea not to call it. They gave a gift to them. I know that happens but on such an obvious violation it just seemed shady.

I agree 100, with one caveat. Had the SU player who was in a position to shove the FSU QB out of bounds near the sideline done so he would have been flagged for a personal foul - 15 yards and an automatic first down. The FSU QB would have flopped much like they do in the NBA.

Marlowe Wax. The kid who was already flagged once for a BS late hit on the QB.

The refs set the tone early.

If Wax so much as breathes on the QB out of bounds it'll be flagged as targeting and Wax has to sit the 1st half of the Wake game.

Mang is SIX FOOT SEVEN.

Shaq wasn’t getting to that pass, it was so far over his head.
looked like a combo platter shrader rushed the throw but mang also took to long to release

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom