Coaching Salaries and us... | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Salaries and us...

gtwoodley

Walk On
I was watching Requiem for the Big East earlier today and it really got me thinking about the state of our beloved football program...
The move to the ACC is supposedly bringing in a ton more money than we would have been bringing in had the Big East remained intact and yet the mood that I seem to get from this board is that we cannot afford to bring in a top level head coach and that we should settle for an up-and-comer or some alumni who comes back to coach. I don't understand why that is. I am not here complaining or saying that Shafer should be fired, I just really don't understand why we should be "settling" and I was hoping that someone here who may be more in-touch with the finances of our sports programs could enlighten me.

I tried looking up where HCSS ranked among the other head couches in D1 but the USA Today article didn't list his salary.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Thanks and Go Orange!

I was watching Requiem for the Big East earlier today and it really got me thinking about the state of our beloved football program...
The move to the ACC is supposedly bringing in a ton more money than we would have been bringing in had the Big East remained intact and yet the mood that I seem to get from this board is that we cannot afford to bring in a top level head coach and that we should settle for an up-and-comer or some alumni who comes back to coach. I don't understand why that is. I am not here complaining or saying that Shafer should be fired, I just really don't understand why we should be "settling" and I was hoping that someone here who may be more in-touch with the finances of our sports programs could enlighten me.

I tried looking up where HCSS ranked among the other head couches in D1 but the USA Today article didn't list his salary.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Thanks and Go Orange!
You might want to check out this thread? http://syracusefan.com/threads/syracuse-budget-report-and-athletics.83891/

Also how was Req for The Big East? Does it cover a lot of football? Thanks

I don't think we "settled" with Shafer.

It was a continuity decsion.

Given the challenges facing the university, it would be a bad move to pay above-average for HC talent in non-revenue producing sports at the expense of the football coaching staff (especially the assistants)... Not that our AD would do anything like that ... So he could win the Directors Cup for example (is there a ticket tape parade for that?)

I rarely post threads and it would figure that when I do, there would be a thread similar from the day before. I should have used the search feature.

About Req for the Big East... I really liked it because I am nostalgic but it did seem like they placed a lot of the blame on Syracuse. The segment about Pearl was pretty awesome though.

I don't think we "settled" with Shafer.

It was a continuity decsion.
I think that is correct. I am also starting to suspect that given what now appear to be rather severe budget constraints Shafer did the best he could hiring staff - given the time constraints as well.

What we are probably faced with as a result is the inevitable learning curve for some of our guys. Lester appears to be a smart guy and while he may not have the best experience for a P5 OC, he will probably adjust pretty fast. I probably wouldn't just judge him by what he runs next year becasue if he has a brain in his head he will have to adapt his preferenes to the talent at hand.

Unless or until a QB develops that can actually read and pass at a P5 level, he will probably be very conservative.

We are realistically looking at 2017 before we have a season with the potential of 2012. As long as we see steady improvement and continued success in recruiting, I can handle that.

Last edited:
I think that is correct. I am also starting to suspect that given what now appear to be rather sever budget constraints Shafer did the best he could hiring staff - given the time constraints as well.

What we are probably faced with as a result is the inevitable learning curve for some of our guys. Lester appears to be a smart guy and while he may not have the best experience for a P5 OC, he will probably adjust pretty fast. I probably wouldn't just judge him by what he runs next year becasue if he has a brain in his head he will have to adapt his preferenes to the talent at hand.

Unless or until a QB develops that can actually read and pass at a P5 level, he will probably be very conservative.

We are realistically looking at 2017 before we have a season with the potential of 2012. As long as we see steady improvement and continued success in recruiting, I can handle that.

I'm open to the possibility that the QB problem is a result of horrible offensive coaching than a lack of innate talent. Drew Allen has me convinced of that more than anything, but our QBs were all rated to be D-I talent when got their commits and they all look like bad high school level QBs in game here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom