Coaching Staff | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Staff

Wonder how many of these kids went to catholic schools, a place where BC excels in recruiting.

of the 12 OL listed on their 2020 roster 6 are from Catholic/Christian Schools. (DePaul Catholic, St Peters Prep, Paramus Catholic, DeMatha Catholic, Riverdale Baptist, St Pius X) and at least 2 others from private schools Avon Old Farms and Lawrence Academy.)

So it looks like we're down to not knowing what they're going to do with Lynch and hiring another assistant on the defensive side of the ball.
Looks like the only question is if Martin remains in an on field role. Guessing everything's not settled if they haven't made an announcement yet, unless Dino's keeping it a secret to keep everyone off the trail. Also, haven't heard of a Landon Salem replacement. No signs of Boller interest.
RB: Lynch
OL: Cavanaugh
Outside WR/ST: Lustig
Inside WR/TE: Ferri
DC/LB:Arnett
DT: Reynolds
DE: Stanard
DB: Monroe and ?

Last edited:
Looks like the only question is if Martin remains in an on field role. Guessing everything's not settled if they haven't made an announcement yet, unless Dino's keeping it a secret to keep everyone off the trail :)
OC/QB:Gilbert
RB: Lynch
Outside WR/ST: Lustig
Inside WR/TE: Ferri
DC/LB:Arnett
DT: Reynolds
DE: Stanard
DB: Monroe and ?
So, the OL doesn't need a coach?

McCloud and Ward are both out. Arnett is in to replace Ward.

Martin is in limbo, but prob gone with Gilbert taking his spot.

That leaves McCloud's spot as the final spot to fill.

The only remaining question mark is if Lynch stays or goes. I don't recall seeing references to him being on the 'crootin' trail, but I may have missed it.

I'm not expecting the final hire to be influenced heavily by "gotta get a good recruiter". No facts to back this up, but it doesn't feel like that is what DFB focuses on.

Would've been nice to get this DB coach done so he can get out on the road and recruit.

I'm not expecting the final hire to be influenced heavily by "gotta get a good recruiter". No facts to back this up, but it doesn't feel like that is what DFB focuses on.
I agree, unfortunately. You can't keep ignoring recruiting when hiring assistants and expect it to improve. We need a Troy Weaver-type.

Last edited:

Thanks, I'm a little slow with all of the moving pieces

Thanks, I'm a little slow with all of the moving pieces

F9A3592A-E747-489F-80FB-CBF083B70FE5.jpeg

There a several additional changes to position coaches that needs to occur.
Cavenaugh needs to be replaced. Now an argument can be made that the line improved over the last three games, however, I see a number of issues that I attribute to him. First, the penalties were out of control and that is a coaching issue. Time and again we were flagged for false starts and holding. A number of these penalties killed drives. I do not see this getting better.
Second, was the decision to not have a back up center. In spring ball Heckel went down with an injury. That would have been the perfect time to get another center ready instead he inserted AS back at center. That decision came back to eventually affect the entire line when heckle went out the first game. AS had to move back to center. This was a problem since he lost about 20 pounds to play tackle. The move affected the run game and ability to protect td for most of the season.
Third player development does not seem to be occurring. Our best addition to the line was a freshman. D Davis came in but we did not have quality upperclassmen to fill rolls. That should have occurred.

concerning Reynolds. I am not sure why he is being retained now that we are switching to the 3-3-5. Is he only going to coach nt. Remember he was the d line coach and then standard had to be brought in to assist and he was moved only to coach dt. It would seem better to bring in another coach besides mccloud’s position that is familiar with the 3-3-5. It does not seem fair to arnett to have him implement a new d but having to use position coaches with no familIarity. One possible solution would be to move monroe to wr coach. Ferri could coach te and lustig could be assist head coach and special teams. This would allow arnett to higher a cb and s coach with experience in the 3-3-5.
The final change could be lynch. You could bring in a young energetic coach for rb that can recruit.
I know most of these changes will not occur but here is to dreaming.

If Martin is staying that would mean our new OC and DC would be bringing in exactly zero coaches from the outside which would be shocking to me.

There a several additional changes to position coaches that needs to occur.
Cavenaugh needs to be replaced. Now an argument can be made that the line improved over the last three games, however, I see a number of issues that I attribute to him. First, the penalties were out of control and that is a coaching issue. Time and again we were flagged for false starts and holding. A number of these penalties killed drives. I do not see this getting better.
Second, was the decision to not have a back up center. In spring ball Heckel went down with an injury. That would have been the perfect time to get another center ready instead he inserted AS back at center. That decision came back to eventually affect the entire line when heckle went out the first game. AS had to move back to center. This was a problem since he lost about 20 pounds to play tackle. The move affected the run game and ability to protect td for most of the season.
Third player development does not seem to be occurring. Our best addition to the line was a freshman. D Davis came in but we did not have quality upperclassmen to fill rolls. That should have occurred.

concerning Reynolds. I am not sure why he is being retained now that we are switching to the 3-3-5. Is he only going to coach nt. Remember he was the d line coach and then standard had to be brought in to assist and he was moved only to coach dt. It would seem better to bring in another coach besides mccloud’s position that is familiar with the 3-3-5. It does not seem fair to arnett to have him implement a new d but having to use position coaches with no familIarity. One possible solution would be to move monroe to wr coach. Ferri could coach te and lustig could be assist head coach and special teams. This would allow arnett to higher a cb and s coach with experience in the 3-3-5.
The final change could be lynch. You could bring in a young energetic coach for rb that can recruit.
I know most of these changes will not occur but here is to dreaming.
Lots of assumptions you're trying to pass off as fact, new guy.

maybe new to posting to the forum but long time die hard fan. Concerning my post was based on assumptions.
It is not an assumption that AS was moved back to center in spring ball (fact). Not an assumption that AS lost weight and was down to 270ish to play tackle. Not an assumption that we were one of the most penalized teams (fact) and a majority was on the offensive side of the ball. Not an assumption that a freshman took over as our starting tackle after a transfer left the team (fact)

concerning Reynolds it would make sense to let arnett bring in position coaches that are familiar with his system.

maybe new to posting to the forum but long time die hard fan. Concerning my post was based on assumptions.
It is not an assumption that AS was moved back to center in spring ball (fact). Not an assumption that AS lost weight and was down to 270ish to play tackle. Not an assumption that we were one of the most penalized teams (fact) and a majority was on the offensive side of the ball. Not an assumption that a freshman took over as our starting tackle after a transfer left the team (fact)

concerning Reynolds it would make sense to let arnett bring in position coaches that are familiar with his system.

It’s also a fact our 3rd string center got hurt and our 4th string center wasn’t close to ready.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom