Coaching Staff | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Staff

CU44SE

All Conference
Due to the excitement of the new season, I went back and watched the Clemson game from last year because they were one of the best teams we played all year and I wanted to see how close we really are to the next level because I really think 8 games is attainable this year. There is no denying this staff grew throughout the year but its amazing just how many mistakes we had in this game. Especially in just the first quarter and first 4 mins of the second quarter alone. In that 19 minutes of game play we had 4 pre snap penalties to Clemson's zero, we used all 3 of our timeouts and Clemson used none, Desir lined up for a punt return on 3rd and 15 which resulted in a timeout which we proceeded to jump offsides on the very next play from scrimmage. Not to mention the 2 instances of miscommunication and undisciplined play which lead to 2 blown coverages and touchdowns. And after that we were still only down 21-7 with the ball on the 50 yard line before Hunts interception d/t the previous plays false start which made it 3rd and 14. Like I said, I think the coaching staff improved throughout the year and I believe the team will be more prepared for these types of situations in the future. This is part of the reason I believe 8 wins is attainable this year. If we clean up these things, then we can win the games people don't expect us to.

Forget was 21-7 and our ball at 50... It was what it was... But first half wasn't a masterpiece

The team crapped their pants in the first quarter that is for sure...I think we stay within 14 points this year.

even after all that it was 35-14 and we didnt score down at the 10 after a first down at the 19 we got a holding and that caused the drive to stall out. we had all kinds of momentum and then we failed on 4th down and then had them at 2nd and 14 from the 9 and the bomb pass to watkins happened. at 35-21 it would have been far from over.

the 2 blown coverages really set us back and you never know if that was issues caused by film study or by miscommunication. The watkins play was just a play made by a NFL rcvr.

Exactly Mike...I think much of this is fixable. Also, no Watkins.
Clemson will have a top 5 defense in the country this year. Still not a game i think we have a chance to win

I think we actually have a chance to win this game this year down at death Valley, if we can cut down on all the stupid mistakes, and Hunt really has improved as a thrower as we all think he has. Our backfield ran up and down Clemsons throat last year to the tune of 323 yards on the ground. Hunt just couldnt get the ball to an open receiver. So if we can cut down on the boneheaded mistakes and Hunt can throw the ball, we have a chance to win because Clemson wont be able to stop the run.

I think we actually have a chance to win this game this year down at death Valley, if we can cut down on all the stupid mistakes, and Hunt really has improved as a thrower as we all think he has. Our backfield ran up and down Clemsons throat last year to the tune of 323 yards on the ground. Hunt just couldnt get the ball to an open receiver. So if we can cut down on the boneheaded mistakes and Hunt can throw the ball, we have a chance to win because Clemson wont be able to stop the run.
They will have one of the best if not the best defense in the country next year. We're not going into their house and winning that game.

Clev04 said:
Due to the excitement of the new season, I went back and watched the Clemson game from last year because they were one of the best teams we played all year and I wanted to see how close we really are to the next level because I really think 8 games is attainable this year. There is no denying this staff grew throughout the year but its amazing just how many mistakes we had in this game. Especially in just the first quarter and first 4 mins of the second quarter alone. In that 19 minutes of game play we had 4 pre snap penalties to Clemson's zero, we used all 3 of our timeouts and Clemson used none, Desir lined up for a punt return on 3rd and 15 which resulted in a timeout which we proceeded to jump offsides on the very next play from scrimmage. Not to mention the 2 instances of miscommunication and undisciplined play which lead to 2 blown coverages and touchdowns. And after that we were still only down 21-7 with the ball on the 50 yard line before Hunts interception d/t the previous plays false start which made it 3rd and 14. Like I said, I think the coaching staff improved throughout the year and I believe the team will be more prepared for these types of situations in the future. This is part of the reason I believe 8 wins is attainable this year. If we clean up these things, then we can win the games people don't expect us to.

Dear god, please, please, please let this be the year that the offensive linemen stop accumulating so many false start penalties.

I expect our coaching staff to look much better this year. Most were in their first year in their current capacity. Add to that a fair amount of veteran talent returning. I really hope this is the year we stop helping our opponents so damn much.

Wow. Clemson had nearly 300 yards...in the 1st quarter! Boyd threw for 365 and 4 TDS in the first half; with nearly 450 overall yards at half. It was complete and total domination. Whatever shoulda/coulda happened in the 2nd half was irrelevant because the game was already over. Look no further than SS 's tirade for confirmation.

bnoro said:
They will have one of the best if not the best defense in the country next year. We're not going into their house and winning that game.

I tend to agree with you. I just hate the "no chance" mantra. There's always a chance. What if our O is 20-30% better, theirs is 20% worse - and both defenses are as good as last year and it's raining with 50mph gusts of wind?

You just never know.

If we play them 10 times they win 7 or more we have that kind of chance

image.jpg
9 1/2

I don't think Clemson is that good this year... I really think that #2 spot in the atlantic will be ours. I have a funny feeling...

I said 8-4 last year (i didn't mean it) i will say 8-4 this year and I mean it.

I don't think Clemson is that good this year... I really think that #2 spot in the atlantic will be ours. I have a funny feeling...

I said 8-4 last year (i didn't mean it) i will say 8-4 this year and I mean it.
I love your optimism, I don't think they're as good as last year, and their schedule is brutal. They play @Georgia and @FSU in two of their first three games, and South Carolina at the end of the season. Theoretically they could lose all 3. But they're still really good. Their only in-conference loss will likely be FSU, and I can't see us only losing one conference game.

CanadianSU said:
I don't think Clemson is that good this year... I really think that #2 spot in the atlantic will be ours. I have a funny feeling... I said 8-4 last year (i didn't mean it) i will say 8-4 this year and I mean it.
That looks more like the wishful thinking of a fan than an informed prediction.

I keep hearing about their defense, and it will be good - but our defense was very good in the last half of the season. Blow out losses to FSU, Clemson, and GT cloud an otherwise clear picture: You could not run against us, you'd better be able to identify and pick up multiple blitz packages, and we had a secondary that came together as the season progressed (although we still gave up too many blown coverages to the Golden Rodents).

We had 2 less sacks than Clemson and 3 less interceptions, but we were on par otherwise.

If you look at 2013 sports-reference stats, our DSRS* is better than Clemson's on the year (4th in the conference at 6.76 vs Clemson 5th at 5.77). As noted in the OP, they were not good against the run last year.

The real gulf was on the offensive side of the ball, where they have a OSRS of 9.21 (1st) and we're at -3.95 (good for 12th).

So - if they get marginally better on D and we stay the same (big if without Bromley), it might be considered a wash - if not for Vic Beasly (who is special) and it seemed that Chad Morris (OC) out coached Bullough in the game last year to such an extent that it looked like he was toying with our D a little.

On O - if we take a jump (should be way better than last year, but not sure by how much) and they take a few steps back (they lose a lot of play makers) - we will bridge the gap somewhat. I think they will end up better than us on O, by virtue of coaching and better recruiting. And I'm thinking we're still a year away with Custis and Ishmael.

To me, given the above - this year should be a much closer contest. But the 1st game at their place with that crowd and game-day experience could be too much to overcome. The slight sliver of hope we might have is that the fans seem a tad fragile (aside from their being offended that our guys had confidence last season) as evident in the was FSU took the fans out of the game completely last season. If we get a quick score, followed by a TO - who knows what will happen?

So I see us losing 8 out of 10 vs this team at their place. I know many have this pegged as an "auto-loss" - but that's assuming a lot, just two days into camp. Injuries and off-field issues can wreck havoc on preseason prognostications too.

*Simple Rating System; a rating that takes into account average point differential and strength of schedule.

We will go into the game a 17 point dog

I keep hearing about their defense, and it will be good - but our defense was very good in the last half of the season. Blow out losses to FSU, Clemson, and GT cloud an otherwise clear picture: You could not run against us, you'd better be able to identify and pick up multiple blitz packages, and we had a secondary that came together as the season progressed (although we still gave up too many blown coverages to the Golden Rodents).

We had 2 less sacks than Clemson and 3 less interceptions, but we were on par otherwise.

If you look at 2013 sports-reference stats, our DSRS* is better than Clemson's on the year (4th in the conference at 6.76 vs Clemson 5th at 5.77). As noted in the OP, they were not good against the run last year.

The real gulf was on the offensive side of the ball, where they have a OSRS of 9.21 (1st) and we're at -3.95 (good for 12th).

So - if they get marginally better on D and we stay the same (big if without Bromley), it might be considered a wash - if not for Vic Beasly (who is special) and it seemed that Chad Morris (OC) out coached Bullough in the game last year to such an extent that it looked like he was toying with our D a little.

On O - if we take a jump (should be way better than last year, but not sure by how much) and they take a few steps back (they lose a lot of play makers) - we will bridge the gap somewhat. I think they will end up better than us on O, by virtue of coaching and better recruiting. And I'm thinking we're still a year away with Custis and Ishmael.

To me, given the above - this year should be a much closer contest. But the 1st game at their place with that crowd and game-day experience could be too much to overcome. The slight sliver of hope we might have is that the fans seem a tad fragile (aside from their being offended that our guys had confidence last season) as evident in the was FSU took the fans out of the game completely last season. If we get a quick score, followed by a TO - who knows what will happen?

So I see us losing 8 out of 10 vs this team at their place. I know many have this pegged as an "auto-loss" - but that's assuming a lot, just two days into camp. Injuries and off-field issues can wreck havoc on preseason prognostications too.

*Simple Rating System; a rating that takes into account average point differential and strength of schedule.
Is it as simple as looking at stats. They played Georgia and South Carolina out of conference. Georgia was a much healthier/better team early in the year when Clemson saw them than they were the second half of the year. Did we play anyone that was close to being as good as either of those two?

sufandu said:
Is it as simple as looking at stats. They played Georgia and South Carolina out of conference. Georgia was a much healthier/better team early in the year when Clemson saw them than they were the second half of the year. Did we play anyone that was close to being as good as either of those two?

Their rating system takes SOS into account. We both played FSU and our defenses had similar games. Our O looked beyond inept, while they looked better - as the stats bear out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom