Cole Swider returning ??? | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider returning ???

The basketball portal is nothing like the football portal in terms of quality. If you’re relying on a hoop portal you’re going to be sorry.

The basketball portal is nothing like the football portal in terms of quality. If you’re relying on a hoop portal you’re going to be sorry.
I don't think you pluck your star from the portal. At least not at this level. But, there are tons of guys that can improve our roster and fill needs.

I couldn't disagree more. Baylor, Kentucky, Illinois, Iowa State, LSU, Auburn, and Marquette are all where they are because of transfers. Just look at this list from midseason alone:

I couldn't disagree more. Baylor, Kentucky, Illinois, Iowa State, LSU, Auburn, and Marquette are all where they are because of transfers. Just look at this list from midseason alone:

Yeah Tshiebwe(sp?) Is one of the best players in the country for UK.

I get it, we wouldn't want to have too many good players. At the end of the day, didn't JB learn his lesson about having a full roster? Guys will get injured and we need to have players practicing against good players so that they can get better. Competition is good.

You fill the roster with the best players you can get, no matter what the source.
The young guys they have recruited expect a chance to prove themselves and get playing. If you recruit decent portal guys, they won't come unless they are guaranteed playing time. Then the young guys will decommit. Personally, I would recruit only portal guys, except maybe 1-3 developmental players.

I have heard that we will not hit the portal hard because we don't want the younger guys "blocked" by new players. I think that is a ridiculous.
But again, and I just posted it in the 2022 Portal thread - how/why was he going hard after Mintz? If we'd gotten his commit, he'd have "blocked" the younger guards - what's the difference between Mintz and a high-level portal guard?

But again, and I just posted it in the 2022 Portal thread - how/why was he going hard after Mintz? If we'd gotten his commit, he'd have "blocked" the younger guards - what's the difference between Mintz and a high-level portal guard?
Mintz has a lot more upside than any guy they could get in the portal.

The young guys they have recruited expect a chance to prove themselves and get playing. If you recruit decent portal guys, they won't come unless they are guaranteed playing time. Then the young guys will decommit. Personally, I would recruit only portal guys, except maybe 1-3 developmental players.
The young guys have signed letters of intent. They will have every opportunity to compete for playing time. If they want to play for an incomplete roster with an easy road to playing time, then they can leave.

I don't think you pluck your star from the portal. At least not at this level. But, there are tons of guys that can improve our roster and fill needs.

I get that, it’s what we did last year. The results were poor and will continue to be poor until we recruit ACC level HS talent. Hoop portal guys are largely complimentary players to help plug a hole.

Cole is a role player and now being viewed to be the number one option and then we’ll backfill more role players. It’s not a good recipe.

I know everyone says that our Frosh are not going to be ready but im very high on Copeland and im high on the power forward coming in. I think we are lacking a really good forward. Hopefully Benny boy kicks into gear.

I get that, it’s what we did last year. The results were poor and will continue to be poor until we recruit ACC level HS talent. Hoop portal guys are largely complimentary players to help plug a hole.

Cole is a role player and now being viewed to be the number one option and then we’ll backfill more role players. It’s not a good recipe.
I think we can get a starting level point guard and power forward. I think Cole can be a featured player, but he has to be surrounded by players that can compliment his skills. Surrounding him with other athletically challenged players doesn't work. There are really good players in the portal.

The young guys have signed letters of intent. They will have every opportunity to compete for playing time. If they want to play for an incomplete roster with an easy road to playing time, then they can leave.
Better players in the portal aren't coming to compete for PT, they are guaranteed PT to get them to commit, or else they will go someplace else. You have to look at a portal transfer guy as a veteran guy who is already on the team from the year before. They will have a vested spot.

I think we can get a starting level point guard and power forward. I think Cole can be a featured player, but he has to be surrounded by players that can compliment his skills. Surrounding him with other athletically challenged players doesn't work. There are really good players in the portal.

IMO we did find a starting level point in Symir so that might be a start. Though most people think he's a role player which sort of supports my opinion on the portal.

Featuring Cole to me would be like featuring Jason Cipolla and Cipolla may have been better.

We've had some quality transfer over the years, LeRon Ellis, Blackwell etc, but I think filling multiple holes every year is a recipe for disaster. We took 3 role player portal guys last year and had a losing record this season.

Better players in the portal aren't coming to compete for PT, they are guaranteed PT to get them to commit, or else they will go someplace else. You have to look at a portal transfer guy as a veteran guy who is already on the team from the year before. They will have a vested spot.
For a portal point guard, you sell them on Joe moving over to his natural position, but the PG spot is open. We have a freshman pg that we really like, but that spot is open competition. If a college senior doesn't think he can beat out the unproven freshman, then we don't want him anyway. For a forward, it is a little different, because we (hopefully) have an incumbent senior forward and a sophomore who had a rough freshman season along with some freshmen. So, the competition is a little stiffer, but promise him open competition for one of the forward spots.

lol what do you think the sales pitch to Mintz was?

I dont think Jim will take anyone out of the portal who will start. Maybe if Cole leaves but hes pretty set/Lazy and is on record that this is his best class ever. My .02 Jim will roll with these guys.

I dont think Jim will take anyone out of the portal who will start. Maybe if Cole leaves but hes pretty set/Lazy and is on record that this is his best class ever. My .02 Jim will roll with these guys.
why in the hell was he going hard after Mintz then?

It's pathetic that folks in person or on social media directly attack any player.

Sadly more than not far too many want their pound of flesh and social media is the equivalent of everyone having your phone number to come directly at you or your family.
Or you could just avoid the whole juvenile cesspool altogether!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom