Cole Swider returning ??? | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider returning ???

I couldn't disagree more. Baylor, Kentucky, Illinois, Iowa State, LSU, Auburn, and Marquette are all where they are because of transfers. Just look at this list from midseason alone:

I haven't analyzed any of those teams at all so I don't know what their situations are or were. I think just off the cuff many of those teams were solid tournament teams before they added a guy who ended up being good and some of the teams on the list didn't fair much better.

We're not Kentucky.

IMO we did find a starting level point in Symir so that might be a start. Though most people think he's a role player which sort of supports my opinion on the portal.

Featuring Cole to me would be like featuring Jason Cipolla and Cipolla may have been better.

We've had some quality transfer over the years, LeRon Ellis, Blackwell etc, but I think filling multiple holes every year is a recipe for disaster. We took 3 role player portal guys last year and had a losing record this season.
I like Symir, but I think we should always try to get talent better than what we have. I know that the effort is often behind the scenes, but I would like to see the roster building effort. Of course, high school recruiting is almost nill, but our roster does not look competitive. Maybe it will prove to be better than most of us expect, but if there are roster spots available, our guys better be trying to fill those spots with better players than what we have, no matter where they come from.

I haven't analyzed any of those teams at all so I don't know what their situations are or were. I think just off the cuff many of those teams were solid tournament teams before they added a guy who ended up being good and some of the teams on the list didn't fair much better.

We're not Kentucky.
Wake. Forest.

I mean, yeah, I've considered that too, and have event posted that theory - but Mintz is good enough that he could easily emerge as a one/done, almost surely not around for more than 2 yrs
I think they are talking with Mintz about a 2 year stint.

Wake. Forest.
Great example. Alondes Williams didn't average over 7 ppg or 19 mpg at Oklahoma. The kid is from Milwaukee. How does he end up at Wake Forest? Their staff must have seen him, evaluated him and thought he could be great. I thought that was what Griffin was going to be for us last year. He showed signs of being a star at Illinois, but he was blocked by some good players. Turns out it was kind of a miss here. But, we need to go after those guys in the portal, we might get lucky.

Great example. Alondes Williams didn't average over 7 ppg or 19 mpg at Oklahoma. The kid is from Milwaukee. How does he end up at Wake Forest? Their staff must have seen him, evaluated him and thought he could be great. I thought that was what Griffin was going to be for us last year. He showed signs of being a star at Illinois, but he was blocked by some good players. Turns out it was kind of a miss here. But, we need to go after those guys in the portal, we might get lucky.
Not just Williams either - LaRavia who was at Indiana St - was really good there but not like high on the radar of portal-poaching high majors last spring - and then Sy out of Mississippi too - Forbes and his staff did quite a job putting that group together

Yeah I don't know - its 5 guys vs 11 - one guy can make a difference easier in hoops in my mind.

I agree it only takes one guy to turn things around in hoops, but in football rosters are so huge it's easier for impact guys to be buried on a depth chart.

For hoops I think the impact guys transferring is a smaller set and if they can start on a better team that's where they're headed. Syracuse is a tough sell right now, so everyone's 'just look to the portal' answer is false hope.

I'm all for taking a transfer but when you're relying on 3 of them as starters I just don't see much success in that because they're not likely to be high impact guys.

(*please lets not bring up Kentucky.)

We're not Kentucky.
Ugh so you aren’t paying attention to have an accurate enough view. It’s more than Kentucky. Every guy mentioned in that list are starters on tournament teams. The same can be said for Texas Tech. They basically replaced their entire team and are a 3 seed.

Not just Williams either - LaRavia who was at Indiana St - was really good there but not like high on the radar of portal-poaching high majors last spring - and then Sy out of Mississippi too - Forbes and his staff did quite a job putting that group together
The portal is tough, because guys are entering all the time. The staff has to monitor the portal daily and quickly evaluate the player and jump on him quick.

All that said both those guys racked numbers up in our pathetic ACC as well. Not saying they aren't decent players now just Wake is still just an NIT team.

All that said both those guys racked numbers up in our pathetic ACC as well. Not saying they aren't decent players now just Wake is still just an NIT team.
but still, look at the jump Wake made over the prior year - and you could easily argue they should have made the tourney field - they had some really impressive games (smoked @ V-tech by 20) but then some ?? games (blown out by us)

I liked the reported approach of FHCDM, who supposedly told all recruits that it was his (Doug's) job to recruit someone better than them, so get ready to compete!

Of course, recruits who got recruited over usually still had a chance to play a fair amount. Not so, the way JB does it.

Ugh so you aren’t paying attention to have an accurate enough view. It’s more than Kentucky. Every guy mentioned in that list are starters on tournament teams. The same can be said for Texas Tech. They basically replaced their entire team and are a 3 seed.

there's a handful of teams on that list not in the tournament either. Wake, Minnesota, Virginia, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Xavier

there's a handful of teams on that list not in the tournament either. Wake, Minnesota, Virginia, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Xavier
I don’t smoke because I don’t want cancer or heart disease.

My mom smoked and didn’t die of either.

but still, look at the jump Wake made over the prior year - and you could easily argue they should have made the tourney field - they had some really impressive games (smoked @ V-tech by 20) but then some ?? games (blown out by us)

Yeah I think my main point was I do think we would be best aiming higher and absolutely could succeed getting kids a step above those ( based on their previous numbers). Still if you went out and brought in 2 like that and one ringer.. that is the kind of haul that makes a serious difference.

The bottom line is if we aren’t using the portal to try and get better then JB is mailing it in.
Honestly from what dasher has been indicating, and in line with what kcsu posted above, I'm really starting to believe he's essentially treating next season as a sacrificial transition season, throwing his "fab 5" to the wolves so that they've got that experience for the next coach, so they're the foundation of the program for the next few years

This is roster building season. The coaching staff knows who is staying and who is going, so they know how many spots we have open and I am sure they have looked at the roster and figured out which positions need improvement. I know that guys don't just jump at any open spots, we have to sell them on the opportunities we provide. Every open spot is an opportunity to improve the roster. I would expect our coaching staff is chomping at the bit to improve this team.

Honestly from what dasher has been indicating, and in line with what kcsu posted above, I'm really starting to believe he's essentially treating next season as a sacrificial transition season, throwing his "fab 5" to the wolves so that they've got that experience for the next coach, so they're the foundation of the program for the next few years
Then the next head coach is already on the bench, I'm sure you considered that too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom