Cole Swider returning ??? | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider returning ???

This.

To date, his only portal forays have been players with a strong prior relationship.

That’s inherently lazy.

And ridiculously self-limiting.

We need to do better.
TBF, the players that we landed had prior relationships. One turned out to be a really good player. The other had some moments and some growth as a player. Let's look to results

One year of making let’s say 150k versus coming back and maybe improving to the point of getting a look from the NBA seems like a no brainer.
I also think he probably could get a NIL deal if he stayed that would help offset that 150k he might make overseas. I understand he might have his reasons but financially I don’t see why he would leave.
He's a marginal, end of bench FA guy. Not athletic enough

Good comparison, but Andrew was the top option and Cole got to be the 4th option. Will be interesting to see what Cole would do as top option. I could see it not quite working out for him, but also he might seize the moment. Hard to tell IMO.

Last 10 games, if that is the player he can be I think he will excel. His biggest thing is finding a way to get 10 pts on an off night vs just rebounds and hustle plays.

He's a marginal, end of bench FA guy. Not athletic enough
I agree he probably isn’t making a NBA roster, but the point was there really isn’t an upside of leaving for financial reasons. Might as well try to improve and you never know what could happen. It’s not like he is passing up 7 figures or even high 6 figures if he stays another year.

I agree he probably isn’t making a NBA roster, but the point was there really isn’t an upside of leaving for financial reasons. Might as well try to improve and you never know what could happen. It’s not like he is passing up 7 figures or even high 6 figures if he stays another year.
I don't think it is just that. After all, money is still money, if he can make 100k or more over seas, why not? But I would advice, at my ripe old age, stay in college as long as you can and enjoy the heck out of it. We might be pretty good next year if things bounce our way.

I don't think it is just that. After all, money is still money, if he can make 100k or more over seas, why not? But I would advice, at my ripe old age, stay in college as long as you can and enjoy the heck out of it. We might be pretty good next year if things bounce our way.

Also - the pandemic ain’t quite over yet, and there’s a war in Europe so going abroad right now may not be as attractive as it might have been in more normal times.

Cole can be THE MAN here next year, on what could end up being a pretty damn good team.

There’s a lot to be said for being BMOC at Cuse playing hoops.

The $ will still be there that next year.

This seems kinda parallel to Eli’s career in Orange:
(Not counting the year he sat out)
He was the sidekick his first season, then THE MAN the second one.

And that ended up being enough for him to stick around in the NBA.
Maybe Cole can follow a similar path.

Cole is iffy. I think he wants to come back. I know the coaches want him back. And yet, it's been told to me that it is less than 50/50 that he comes back. I don't understand that. Hopefully, he sees that he will have a bigger role on a better team. He had to enjoy the end of the season and the progress he made. He is a difference maker for us.
Have we made too many promises?

Maybe that Benny's going to start AND one of the frosh forwards is going to start?

Also - the pandemic ain’t quite over yet, and there’s a war in Europe so going abroad right now may not be as attractive as it might have been in more normal times.

Cole can be THE MAN here next year, on what could end up being a pretty damn good team.

There’s a lot to be said for being BMOC at Cuse playing hoops.

The $ will still be there that next year.

This seems kinda parallel to Eli’s career in Orange:
(Not counting the year he sat out)
He was the sidekick his first season, then THE MAN the second one.

And that ended up being enough for him to stick around in the NBA.
Maybe Cole can follow a similar path.
Plus he could prob cash in on some decent NIL bucks

Maybe that Benny's going to start AND one of the frosh forwards is going to start?
I hope that they didn't make either promise.

But I know nothing of recruiting tactics.

dash do you happen to know if Cole is guaranteed the starting F spot across from Benny if he returns?

Good comparison, but Andrew was the top option and Cole got to be the 4th option. Will be interesting to see what Cole would do as top option. I could see it not quite working out for him, but also he might seize the moment. Hard to tell IMO.
I think Cole is option 2 next year, if he comes back.

Option 1 is going to be Joe.

My preference would be Jesse is option 1, but that ain't happening.

dash do you happen to know if Cole is guaranteed the starting F spot across from Benny if he returns?
Well, I would think so. What I worry about, because it has actually been said to me, is that Cole might have been told that his minutes might be lower next year in an effort to give the young players more time. Now, I find that hard to believe that Jb would ever say anything like that. But, it was said to me. I hope that isn't the reason he doesn't come back because I can guarantee him that he will play a lot. JB says things. If he said it. Which I doubt.

But what did he make?
Who cares, the poster said that Cole is too inconsistent to play in Europe, another player who isn’t a tenth of Coles talent was able to play for half a decade. You don’t think Cole will make a mil or two before it’s said and done playing?

I really can’t believe I need to defend Cole’s pro options……

Well, I would think so. What I worry about, because it has actually been said to me, is that Cole might have been told that his minutes might be lower next year in an effort to give the young players more time. Now, I find that hard to believe that Jb would ever say anything like that. But, it was said to me. I hope that isn't the reason he doesn't come back because I can guarantee him that he will play a lot. JB says things. If he said it. Which I doubt.

That would be a shame if he was given that message. The absolute best outcome for Cole and the team is he is a 30mpg or more player.

No matter how bad you want to keep Benny on the roster, after last season it would be difficult to make that promise and would be hard for him to expect it here, or any place he could transfer to. That said, he has a big advantage starting ahead of any freshman that plays forward.

His biggest issues are between the ears. When he gets it going he’s lights out.

I can deal with his marginal hands and lack of athleticism if he’s paired with more athletes. He really reminds me of Andrew White a lot. Same essential skill sets in a different frame.
Much better rebounder, though.

I was told May if you can believe it
Yea, Syracuse.com reported yesterday that a decision from Cole probably won’t be coming anytime soon. In the meantime, I would imagine the staff will look at some forwards in the portal to see if there’s any mutual interest in ones we identify as good fits and have an “in” with.

It’ll be interesting to see how the staff handles it. Will we start to see them making contact on some forwards to force Cole’s hand? Or maybe they give him a right of first refusal before making a formal offer to his replacement?

I think I’d prefer Cole over anyone we’d be reasonably be expected to get to replace him. But at the same time we can’t put all our eggs in the Cole basket and come back empty handed.
If they find a quality forward in the portal they think they can land and has mutual interest, I think they’ll pursue that. But Cole returning would be ideal since he has the experience and a year in the system.

Last edited:
Not sure where Cole stands with his degree but if he can get a masters by staying he should stay.
He will get a masters, improve his chance at making the N B A as 6 9 shooters have a role. He will probably make decent NIL money and playing in Europe will be there for the future in hopefully a safer world. I really dont see any reason for him to leave.

Who cares, the poster said that Cole is too inconsistent to play in Europe, another player who isn’t a tenth of Coles talent was able to play for half a decade. You don’t think Cole will make a mil or two before it’s said and done playing?

I really can’t believe I need to defend Cole’s pro options……
I must have misread his career. Three years in Britain and one in Scranton...don't know what Cole will make, do know there are a ton of pro leagues that pay crap.

Maybe we should all make sure and get some Swider NIL gear..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom