Cole Swider returning ??? | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider returning ???

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but from my POV, the portal for guys that are immediately eligible is much different than those that had to (or have to) sit a year. It's fundamentally two different things.

I don't think JB has ever really loathed the transfer that had to wait a year, but had to be sure that that person could truly grow into a contributor (at the very least). Seems like he was very discerning with who he brought in.

The new portal for those that do not have to wait he grabbed two guys that he had previous connection with that weren't going to threaten the status quo. Which is fine, you need bodies and I think, at least with Cole, there was upside compared to his output from Nova.

But I think it's TBD to see where JB lands as it pertains to that latter version of the portal/transfers and what he embraces vs what he does not.

This.

To date, his only portal forays have been players with a strong prior relationship.

That’s inherently lazy.

And ridiculously self-limiting.

We need to do better.

JB dislikes the portal so much that he brought in kids like Swider, Torrance, Griffin, Eli, Gillon, White, Silent G, Chewie, and Wes.

Liking something and choosing to use it are different things. I'm not a fan of the fact that Trump's 2017 tax revision has a 25% deduction for real estate income. I still take the mark down when filing my taxes ever year.

Weren't most of those pre-portal before kids could transfer on a whim?

A transfer is a transfer. You still have to recruit them and convince them to come to your school. The difference is how long they have to sit out.

A transfer is a transfer. You still have to recruit them and convince them to come to your school. The difference is how long they have to sit out.
Which is a huge difference. If the current portal rules (or lack of same) remain, I think the "regular" transfer market will disappear.

Which is a huge difference. If the current portal rules (or lack of same) remain, I think the "regular" transfer market will disappear.
Doesn’t change the fact you have to recruit them and sell them on your program.

Personally, I think it is much different when you are competing for guys to play right away rather then recruiting them to play in a year after sitting out.

Mintz
Joe
Benny
Cole
Jesse

Sy
Competent Transfer Center
Whoever is ready of Taylor/Bunch/Brown

I'm not sure what the ceiling of that rotation is but I have almost no doubt that it's better than what we just had.

The way Cole finished this year from the UNC game through the ACCT was close to as impressive as Buddy finished the previous the season. Especially when you factor in his ability to rebound from the forward spot. We neeeeed him back and if he decides otherwise JB has to grab a forward capable of averaging 15+ ppg. Steal his car keys, have his passport rescinded so he can't play overseas, idk whatever you need to do to make sure he's on our roster.

Mintz
Joe
Benny
Cole
Jesse

Sy
Competent Transfer Center
Whoever is ready of Taylor/Bunch/Brown

I'm not sure what the ceiling of that rotation is but I have almost no doubt that it's better than what we just had.

The way Cole finished this year from the UNC game through the ACCT was close to as impressive as Buddy finished the previous the season. Especially when you factor in his ability to rebound from the forward spot. We neeeeed him back and if he decides otherwise JB has to grab a forward capable of averaging 15+ ppg. Steal his car keys, have his passport rescinded so he can't play overseas, idk whatever you need to do to make sure he's on our roster.
Is Cole coming back?
Did I miss something?

Cole,
Bored GIF

Jk, I really do hope he comes back though.

Cole is iffy. I think he wants to come back. I know the coaches want him back. And yet, it's been told to me that it is less than 50/50 that he comes back. I don't understand that. Hopefully, he sees that he will have a bigger role on a better team. He had to enjoy the end of the season and the progress he made. He is a difference maker for us.

Cole is iffy. I think he wants to come back. I know the coaches want him back. And yet, it's been told to me that it is less than 50/50 that he comes back. I don't understand that. Hopefully, he sees that he will have a bigger role on a better team. He had to enjoy the end of the season and the progress he made. He is a difference maker for us.

His game grew so much too. Not something reserved for a guy during his senior year but it was very evident. Kid grinds and has that drive to succeed. He and Joe both could have big years if he comes back.

Any idea as to when he might decide?

I was told May if you can believe it

The early entry deadline for underclassmen wishing to declare for the draft is April 24, 2022.

Of course, he's not really an undergrad since he'll have his degree.

Portal deadline is May 1, 2022.

NBA Combine is May 17, 2022.

The early entry withdrawal deadline for underclassmen that wish to maintain their collegiate eligibility is June 1, 2022.

Think there's any chance he could become the 2nd ball-handler bringing it up? A la Mirek?

Any reasons for him to leave?What upside is there?I guess making decent money overseas but it’s not like he is going to lose out on big money.
To me it only makes good sense to see if he can continue to improve like he did this year and maybe get picked in 2nd round next year.

Any reasons for him to leave?What upside is there?I guess making decent money overseas but it’s not like he is going to lose out on big money.
To me it only makes good sense to see if he can continue to improve like he did this year and maybe get picked in 2nd round next year.
You have to secure the bag while you are still in your prime years. He is getting off to a pretty late start as it is. Even more important to do so if you will only be playing overseas where there is less money. Obviously want him back but I would understand

He improved so much as the year went on and he was encouraged by the staff to shoot more. I wasn’t certain early on with him when he always would get the ball knocked out of his hands 3x a game. But he became such a focal point as the year went on and his confidence was apparent. Really hope he comes back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom