Cole Swider returning ??? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider returning ???

I’ll be honest. My take is the kid (cole) will be 23 next year. It’s time for him to move one. It’s getting a little crazy some of those kids / men are ending up at 23/24 and still acting like college kids
I was more like this, but now that I'm older with kids, my perspective has changed entirely. What's the reason for the rush? These kids have amazing opportunities so why limit themselves due to some arbitrary variable like age?

If my kids want to take a year or two off after high school because they don't know what they want to go to college for, I fully support that. Similarly, if these kids want to stay an extra year or two to get a free Masters or just further their education AND play college basketball, that sounds awesome to me. Not to mention the Chris Weinke's of the world and the path he took.

Last edited:
I get it too...but how about we look at it from Cole Swider's dad's perspective or Benny Williams' dad's perspective or any of the incoming recruits dad's perspective. You think that's fair to them?
That’s all you ever do. Of course we get that. We’re not saying their perspective is grim.

All due respect, he’s paid millions to be objective. He got this year with them. We did poorly. Etc etc.

Also, if what you say is true, why can she see what’s up and JB can’t? They are both the kids’ parents?

This is past being a dad, imo.
You might be surprised to hear this, but husbands and wives don’t always agree.

I mean, there’s this strange phenomenon where they start dressing the same as they get older, but that doesn’t mean they think the same.

In early January, word was that JB was going to do everything in his "power" to get Jimmy an extra year. If/when that happened, JB wanted Buddy to come back too (depending on his draft status).

I'm guessing the petition was denied, as it seems clear that Jimmy and Buddy are moving on
Wouldn’t that be public information?

You can hate the way JB handles his pressers. You can get on JB. He gets paid a lot of money and is a big boy and coaches catch chit all the time. But if people are lashing out at Julie or Buddy or Jimmy, that’s garbage. Those people aren’t SU fans and are just aholes. When SU loses they probably kick their dog too.
I think they kick their dog when SU wins.

That's such a lazy response. Ask Fran McCaffery of Iowa if he has any kids...then get back to me. ;)
Lazier response. As if every parent is exactly the same.

It’s much more likely what Jake said than the JB knows Jimmy’s not getting another year.
Juli can see the temperature of the situation more objectively than JB can.

Honestly if Jimmy doesn’t want to enter the real world yet JB should offer him a grad assistant job. Jimmy and JB watch tape together.
If Jimmy wants to be around college hoops and potentially become a coach then he could consider it.
Nobody in their right mind is upset at this and JB gets another year with his boy. Jimmy could get that year from the NCAA and as i said in another thread if we have a rash of injuries play games.

That said him being a grad assistant could get JB to engage with his assistants in game more. Jimmy clearly is a smart kid.

Who knows if he wants it though.

It’s much more likely what Jake said than the JB knows Jimmy’s not getting another year.
Juli can see the temperature of the situation more objectively than JB can.

Honestly if Jimmy doesn’t want to enter the real world yet JB should offer him a grad assistant job. Jimmy and JB watch tape together.
If Jimmy wants to be around college hoops and potentially become a coach then he could consider it.
Nobody in their right mind is upset at this and JB gets another year with his boy. Jimmy could get that year from the NCAA and as i said in another thread if we have a rash of injuries play games.

That said him being a grad assistant could get JB to engage with his assistants in game more. Jimmy clearly is a smart kid.

Who knows if he wants it though.
Juli, JW, the boys themselves…somebody put a stop to it.

Also, if there’s a max exodus, Buddy and Junior might have to come back. I don’t think it happens, just putting it out there.

That's such a lazy response. Ask Fran McCaffery of Iowa if he has any kids...then get back to me. ;)
In hindsight, I may have missed a joke here.

Juli, JW, the boys themselves…somebody put a stop to it.

Also, if there’s a max exodus, Buddy and Junior might have to come back. I don’t think it happens, just putting it out there.
If Cole, Benny leave and we don’t get Judah then Buddy coming back to play the 3 i could see.
We can’t have Buddy come back and plan for him to be a guard.

We need a PG and Joe on the floor.

If Cole, Benny leave and we don’t get Judah then Buddy coming back to play the 3 i could see.

Buddy most likely needs to get to work around a different set of players and system to keep working towards professional goals( in a pro setting/team). I think the Jimmy as a GA makes a lot of sense. Moving forward without them suiting up makes it clear that Jesse, Frank, Benny, Cole, Joe and Symir are the core guys with the frosh ( hopefully Mintz) adding at least 1 if not 2 guys( Taylor)to that core and filling in from there based on how well they adapt.

Lazier response. As if every parent is exactly the same.

Ha. It's funny though how you ask a rather generic question in, "do you have kids" and then subsequently reply, "as if every parent is exactly the same." Somewhat inconsistent/contradictory thinking of yours.

The true intent of your particular question was indeed to group "parents" universally, and, that if you "do have kids," you would then clearly understand and relate, implying that all parents act/behave relatively in the same manner.

Perhaps, the fact that JB is of the age to be Jimmy and Buddy's grandparent, more than parent, had a lot more to do with his clouded judgement. We all know how grandparents treat, spoil, etc. their grandchildren in relation to their child.

I think even JB would recognize next season must be his last if it goes down that way.

(Also, mass exodus. I’m still not allowed to edit my posts.)

Ha. It's funny though how you ask a rather generic question in, "do you have kids" and then reply here "as if every parent is exactly the same." Somewhat inconsistent thinking of yours.

The true intent of your particular question was indeed to group "parents" universally, and, that if you did have kids, you would then clearly understand and relate, implying that all parents act/behave relatively in the same manner.

Perhaps, the fact that JB is of the age to be Jimmy and Buddy's grandparent, more than parent, had a lot more to do with his clouded judgement. We all know how grandparents treat, spoil, etc. their grandchildren in relation to their child.
You can understand how/why other parents act without acting the same way. It’s really not inconsistent at all. We’re talking about empathy.

The grandparent analogy is interesting.

There are guys playing college hockey at 25 if they played juniors before going to college. Some Mormons are 24 or 25 in college after completing their post-high school missions. Rhino on our football team will be 30 this year and I love it!
And if we go to a bowl I believe Rhino will turn 31 before that game is played. Incredible

It's pathetic that folks in person or on social media directly attack any player.

Sadly more than not far too many want their pound of flesh and social media is the equivalent of everyone having your phone number to come directly at you or your family.
Totally agree. Al McGuire used to preach that amateur athletes should never be booed or publicly ripped on. He said boo the coaches, the refs or the team's performance but never single out an individual player.

Sadly, those days are long gone. Especially since many of the internet tough guys/know-it-alls hide behind their key boards using fictitious screen names.

Totally agree. Al McGuire used to preach that amateur athletes should never be booed or publicly ripped on. He said boo the coaches, the refs or the team's performance but never single out an individual player.

Sadly, those days are long gone. Especially since many of the internet tough guys/know-it-alls hide behind their key boards using fictitious screen names.

I don't think there are many on here- or at least that we see. One interaction yesterday reminded me we do have those kind of whackjobs on the board though. They don't last long.

I was more like this, but now that I'm older with kids, my perspective has changed entirely. What's the reason for the rush? These kids have amazing opportunities so why limit themselves due to some arbitrary variable like age?

If my kids want to take a year or two off after high school because they don't know what they want to go to college for, I fully support that. Similarly, if these kids want to stay an extra year or two to get a free Masters or just further their education AND play college basketball, that sounds awesome to me. Not to mention the Chris Weinke's of the world and the path he took.
I don’t know any kid that took a year off after high school reaching enlightenment on their future path. More often a kid just needs to step into an academic track to know if it’s a good fit or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom