Cole Swider signs with Heat | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider signs with Heat

Cole scored 11 points last night in only 13 mins. Shot 2/7 from 3 and had 2 rebs and 1 ast.
He looks like he belongs and he is not bashful about hoisting shots which I think is smart on his part. Will be interesting to see what his regular season holds.

Cole scored 11 points last night in only 13 mins. Shot 2/7 from 3 and had 2 rebs and 1 ast.
I only watched the first half. But, it looks like he outplayed Matt Ryan.

He looks like he belongs and he is not bashful about hoisting shots which I think is smart on his part. Will be interesting to see what his regular season holds.

His shooting hasn't been as good as you would like but unlike Matt Ryan he is out there rebounding and hustling his tail off every minute. His plus minus after the first game suggests he is mostly a positive out there and not at a liability. I'm sure he has been targeted and will be on pick and rolls thus his role will be situational at best to start if he makes the regular season roster to start.

His shooting hasn't been as good as you would like but unlike Matt Ryan he is out there rebounding and hustling his tail off every minute. His plus minus after the first game suggests he is mostly a positive out there and not at a liability. I'm sure he has been targeted and will be on pick and rolls thus his role will be situational at best to start if he makes the regular season roster to start.
I agree that overall he is doing more than Ryan. It will be interesting to see who will initially make the roster. Both will most likely go back and forth to the G League affiliate. But, I wish that Cole was still in Orange. Add Cole to a lineup of Jesse, Mintz, Benny and Gerard...what a difference.

Last edited:
I agree that overall he is doing more than Ryan. It will be interesting to see who will initially make the roster. Both will most likely go back and forth to the G League affiliate. But, I wish that Cole was still in Orange. Add Cole to a lineup of Jesse, Mintz, Benny and Gerard...what a difference.

Wish the same with Cole but unlikely he would get much more lift in his pro status. Plus another year older and he is already 2 or 3 years older than most rookies.

He made the right call.

I only watched the first half. But, it looks like he outplayed Matt Ryan.

Yea, Ryan was 0-3 after making 6 the other night.

Nothing against Cole or this Matt Ryan ($1.67 million) guy but why wouldn't the Lakers prefer to have a Top 10 all-time scorer on the bench to shoot and space the floor?

Melo would cost more in salary (Melo was paid $2.6 million last year and would be $2.9 million vet this year) versus the league minimum for a rookie ($1.0 million) but there's got to be a way to cut some salary (a trade) on the Lakers to find $2 million. (Although the Lakers are currently $18 million over the luxury tax threshold so maybe there is virtually no chance for Melo to return to LA.)

Nothing against Cole or this Matt Ryan ($1.67 million) guy but why wouldn't the Lakers prefer to have a Top 10 all-time scorer on the bench to shoot and space the floor?

Melo would cost more in salary (Melo was paid $2.6 million last year and would be $2.9 million vet this year) versus the league minimum for a rookie ($1.0 million) but there's got to be a way to cut some salary (a trade) on the Lakers to find $2 million. (Although the Lakers are currently $18 million over the luxury tax threshold so maybe there is virtually no chance for Melo to return to LA.)

I have to wonder on Melos interest too though given what a mess LA is. I would think he would want a contender or bust at this point to keep putting his body through all this in what will be his 20th year in the league if he plays.

The Lakers had the following players over 32 who played 300 or more minutes off the bench for them last year:
- Carmelo
- Avery Bradley
- Dwight Howard
- Wayne Ellington
- Kent Bazemore
- Trever Ariza
- Deandre Jordan
- DJ Agustin
- Rajon Rondo

And last season was a disaster for them - so it appears they decided to move on from all of them as they make a concerted effort to fill their team with younger players (even if they are just journeyman or moderate prospects).

Carmelo, may have not have been a big (or any) issue amongst the bunch above. But seems like he is just a consequence of a new philosophy -- which given last year was needed.

The Lakers had the following players over 32 who played 300 or more minutes off the bench for them last year:
- Carmelo
- Avery Bradley
- Dwight Howard
- Wayne Ellington
- Kent Bazemore
- Trever Ariza
- Deandre Jordan
- DJ Agustin
- Rajon Rondo

And last season was a disaster for them - so it appears they decided to move on from all of them as they make a concerted effort to fill their team with younger players (even if they are just journeyman or moderate prospects).

Carmelo, may have not have been a big (or any) issue amongst the bunch above. But seems like he is just a consequence of a new philosophy -- which given last year was needed.
I want Melo on either the Warriors or Bucks. This might be his last chance to win an NBA championship.

People forget that he's a big kid, so the ability to rebound was going to be there for some NBA team's second unit.

Not just that but a big kid with a high motor to go with.

I thought he played a really solid all-around game for us last year. He clearly would have been the star of this year's team, and we could have been a better team, IMO, if he had returned. But he was outstanding in the Summer League, and he has found the right fit. I think he is really going to help the Lakers this year, and I believe he will be a regular on their second unit.

I thought he played a really solid all-around game for us last year. He clearly would have been the star of this year's team, and we could have been a better team, IMO, if he had returned. But he was outstanding in the Summer League, and he has found the right fit. I think he is really going to help the Lakers this year, and I believe he will be a regular on their second unit.
Yeah, he was great all things considered. Felt like he had an Andrew White-type flow to his season where it wasn't super pretty early but got better as the year went on. It didn't matter much since we were under .500 but from the last game of Jan through the end of the year (13 games) he averaged 16.5 ppg, 6.5 rpg (down a little from his season average) on 50/51/86 shooting (in the first 20 games he was 12 and 7 on 40/34/87 shooting). He also made a ton of hustle plays and improved on the defensive end, generally, in the second half.

Not sure what it means, but that's a pretty damn good stretch of games.

To be fair, Matt Ryan must be exhausted trying to pull double duty between the Lakers and QBing for the Colts.
That's a tough sked. I'll tell you what, though, he still looks pretty spry.

To be fair, Matt Ryan must be exhausted trying to pull double duty between the Lakers and QBing for the Colts.

In fairness with the way QBs are protected these days I'm not surprised he can manage it.

9BA26B32-30E3-4722-98D1-A8518485871A.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom