Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse

I’ll go with capable. I figured Buddy was in the excellent category, other than that I don’t know Cole very much and I am not familiar enough with Benny to know how his perimeter game translates.

Yes, I'm counting Swider as excellent. Swider shot .388 from three last season in Big East conference games. He also had 2.6assists per 40 with a 2.4 a/to ratio so he isn't a bad passer for a big man either.

By comparison, Richmond averaged 6 assists per 40 in ACC games with a 1.9 a/to ratio. PF to PG assist to turnover ratios are not created equal, but Swider has good ball discipline. Guerrier had 1.1 assists per 40 with a .9 ratio. Swider is a significantly better passer and shooter than the guys who are leaving. For fun, Sydir Torrence had 5 assists per 40 in Big East games, with a 2.1 a/to. Better than Richmond by this measure. (Torrence shot 9.3% from 3 in conference games last season... Yikes!)

I think our offense is much better with Swider, our rebounding will likely be worse and defense remains to be seen. Anecdotally, Swider was a liability in Villanova's defense. The zone probably helps him a lot, but we won't know until we see.

We may be a "trade their two for our three" team next year. Which means we'll have some very fun games and some very not fun games next year.

Like every year.

Yes, I'm counting Swider as excellent. Swider shot .388 from three last season in Big East conference games. He also had 2.6assists per 40 with a 2.4 a/to ratio so he isn't a bad passer for a big man either.

By comparison, Richmond averaged 6 assists per 40 in ACC games with a 1.9 a/to ratio. PF to PG assist to turnover ratios are not created equal, but Swider has good ball discipline. Guerrier had 1.1 assists per 40 with a .9 ratio. Swider is a significantly better passer and shooter than the guys who are leaving. For fun, Sydir Torrence had 5 assists per 40 in Big East games, with a 2.1 a/to. Better than Richmond by this measure. (Torrence shot 9.3% from 3 in conference games last season... Yikes!)

I think our offense is much better with Swider, our rebounding will likely be worse and defense remains to be seen. Anecdotally, Swider was a liability in Villanova's defense. The zone probably helps him a lot, but we won't know until we see.

We may be a "trade their two for our three" team next year. Which means we'll have some very fun games and some very not fun games next year.

Like every year.
Yeah, I love having shooters but when you become so reliant on that aspect, you are going to have tough games. And the problem, still for me, is the ceiling is capped. Eventually you'll run into teams with athletic guards that can simply shut down certain players by exploiting their limitations. Houston was the perfect example.

Like every year.
Many here consider the addition of Cole as a plugin for Quincy and insist on comparing weaknesses in each player's game. For me, (while I'd love to have Quincy come back) the bottom line is CS is a better, more versatile basketball player than QG is.

Many here consider the addition of Cole as a plugin for Quincy and insist on comparing weaknesses in each player's game. For me, (while I'd love to have Quincy come back) the bottom line is CS is a better, more versatile basketball player than QG is.
Definitely a better shooter. Time will tell about the other parts of his game. I'd be thrilled if he could be as physical and rebound as well as Q.

Last edited:
Definitely a better shooter. Time will tell about the other parts of his game. I'd be thrilled if he could be as physical and rebounds as well as Q.
He has the body type to certainly be effective on the boards. My hope would be that element would be emphasized as important to Cole by the staff. Given he will frequently be in better position with the zone depending on shooter side, I would expect his RPGs to go higher just from that.

I think the Cole is going to be an effective offensive player for us. The more capable he is from a shot creation, driving standpoint, the more versatile we will be offensively. But, obviously, basketball is played on both ends of the court, and we have not faired particularly well with grad-transfers coming in and grasping and executing the nuances of the zone in year one. (Andrew White and Alan Griffin come to mind from the forward spot). Down the stretch Quincy and Bras were pretty great. So losing Quincy hurts on the boards and defense. Cole has perfect size for a Syracuse forward, in watching his highlights, he doesn’t appear to elevate very well, and is not fleet footed, these are issues when it comes to playing the type of defense we need to succeed. That will probably be an issue at least in contesting shots and rebounding.

Kadary is rated #7, Tre Mitchell #10. Cole Swider appears on a list of players the author formerly ranked but they have now announced where they are doing so he dropped them from the list. Cole had been #40. Wahab had been #10 but is going to Maryland.

Man, I think Swider's a good add too, but that's massively selling Quincy short.

Man, I think Swider's a good add too, but that's massively selling Quincy short.
Agreed. The other thing is the matter of balance. Swider may be the guy who can put up bigger offensive numbers, but sometimes a team needs players to fill certain roles so that the overall team has balance. If you need a Power Forward, to do the things that Power Forwards are supposed to do, it plugging in a perimeter shooter may not give you the overall result you need. We kinda saw that with Marek/Jesse. Marek was more likely to score points and make plays for others, but opposing teams got carte blanche at the rim, rebounds, and second-chance points.

Swider might be 'fine' in the zone. But, i worry about having 3 slow guys + Jesse on the floor, both on O and D. And being a great shooter is one thing, but having plays and a setup man to get those shooters open is another. We struggled before with tight, aggressive defenses, so i hope the 'enhanced spacing' with Swider next year is going to somewhat mitigate the lack of penetration/quickness/elite passing.

Like every year.
Swider is a better passer than Marek?

Outside of shooting what does Cole do better than Q? His defense is going to be a disaster compared to Q’s last year.

Shooting is only 49% of the game, Passing and ball movement make it a package deal. imo, a guy like Cole should never be passing up a open look. Not even second guess one.

Swider is a better passer than Marek?

Depending on how much you value assists per 40 and assist to turnovers, yes.

Cole Swider is better in both those categories than Dolezaj, counting only conference games. Then you get into quality of league and teammate, how valuable of a stat is it, etc...

I have no idea if he's better at passing than Dolezaj. But he's better in those two stats, which could be a valuable data point :)

Outside of shooting what does Cole do better than Q? His defense is going to be a disaster compared to Q’s last year.
His entire offensive skill set is better than Quincy's. I think he'll surprise us with his rebounding, probably not QG level but better than projected by the gurus here.

Yeah, I love having shooters but when you become so reliant on that aspect, you are going to have tough games. And the problem, still for me, is the ceiling is capped. Eventually you'll run into teams with athletic guards that can simply shut down certain players by exploiting their limitations. Houston was the perfect example.
let Houston or a team like them double Buddy off the high screen with Cole as the screener.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom