Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse

A reel with all makes is misleading, but damn—this has me a bit buzzy.

Big kid. Not a stiff. I was disappointed we didn't get him out of high school. He and Buddy are going to put up a lot of threes.
With a full-time Jesse/CDBay, a fluid Benny... we are really a good, quick PG away from being dangerous. I just don't love the feeling like all we have to do is let Symir distribute and we'll be 'okay.' I hope Symir is a threat to get into the lane and dish, not just passively dribble around the perimeter. He seems quick-ish, though. The Joe : Sy minutes distribution is going to be interesting.

Are we looking at any more guards?

let Houston or a team like them double Buddy off the high screen with Cole as the screener.
1617673918147.gif

In Nico’s interview posted above he reported that Swider will attend newhouse and is interested in a career in sports media. I have always wondered why we haven’t used that more in recruiting so athletes can think after they are finished playing they can be incredibly well prepared to make money in media. Good to see the staff putting this to use.

A reel with all makes is misleading, but damn—this has me a bit buzzy.

Big kid. Not a stiff. I was disappointed we didn't get him out of high school. He and Buddy are going to put up a lot of threes.
With a full-time Jesse/CDBay, a fluid Benny... we are really a good, quick PG away from being dangerous. I just don't love the feeling like all we have to do is let Symir distribute and we'll be 'okay.' I hope Symir is a threat to get into the lane and dish, not just passively dribble around the perimeter. He seems quick-ish, though. The Joe : Sy minutes distribution is going to be interesting.

Are we looking at any more guards?
Watching this video, it is clear Cole is a huge upgrade over Bobby Braswell on the offensive side of the ball. He does a lot of things Bobby just hasn’t been able to do. He looks very agile and I am much less concerned over his ability to cover space in the zone.

He isn’t going to be a Jerami Grant out there but he should be fine on defense.

Great stuff. Cole does bring up a great point about the challenge he will present as a pick and pop guy with Buddy. That action will be difficult to defend. Also with a true big man in the middle it helps on the offensive boards as you don't have to drag your 5 man out to the perimeter all the time and force him to beat a defensive box out for a board. I think this will be a key counter to not having a Kadary and run action off of it with Benny. Also you can let Benny isolate off the other side and run a two man screen game with he and Jesse. There is a lot of simple action, NBA style offense you can run. We did it with Lydon quite a bit but Tyler didn't have the quality of shooter (no offense to Trevor) to run that action with.

Cole on defense will be what to watch. I love his confidence and him talking about rebounding. It's clear if you are listening that Cole is looking for a chance to make a big splash and get on scouts radars. That means really showcasing he can be a threat on the glass and scoring more than just on the wing. This pickup was the biggest one after losing Kadary.

Something else I hope to see is if you watch Baylor last night they do not hesitate at all. What you can run with Buddy, Benny and Cole is quick action off the screen with either a drive, quick release open 3 or swing it to give a guy like Benny a good look or chance to take his man off the bounce. At times we tried this with Buddy and Quincy but the best action was off a flare screen. Also it takes too long. QG is not a guy who gets into things quickly unless he is around the rim. He shoots that 3 when he has time but if he is guarded he won't take it or pretty much you can guarantee a miss. This isn't to disparage Q at all for the record I am just looking at how the offense can be more decisive and how two and three man games can be used a lot with Cole.

The tradeoff is Benny needs to be the guy who makes you pay for taking away the screen action by attacking and then Jesse/BS/Sid by being available as a dump down and offensive rebounder. Additionally I really hope Benny offers being another outlet to bring the ball up too.

Finally by having the offense run through those 3 primarily, Joe is going to be off the ball more and get a few looks while also allowing us to play Symir more as a true PG (barring his effectiveness) as the offensive needs from Joe are reduced and thus minutes would hopefully follow suit and game need. All hypothetical but I think this can be a pretty good team all things considered. The wildcards will be Woody and Frank ( now just Frank I guess) pending their decision given they add more athleticism and defensive depth.

N
Something else I hope to see is if you watch Baylor last night they do not hesitate at all. What you can run with Buddy, Benny and Cole is quick action off the screen with either a drive, quick release open 3 or swing it to give a guy like Benny a good look or chance to take his man off the bounce. At times we tried this with Buddy and Quincy but the best action was off a flare screen. Also it takes too long. QG is not a guy who gets into things quickly unless he is around the rim. He shoots that 3 when he has time but if he is guarded he won't take it or pretty much you can guarantee a miss. This isn't to disparage Q at all for the record I am just looking at how the offense can be more decisive and how two and three man games can be used a lot with Cole.

The tradeoff is Benny needs to be the guy who makes you pay for taking away the screen action by attacking and then Jesse/BS/Sid by being available as a dump down and offensive rebounder. Additionally I really hope Benny offers being another outlet to bring the ball up too.

Finally by having the offense run through those 3 primarily, Joe is going to be off the ball more and get a few looks while also allowing us to play Symir more as a true PG (barring his effectiveness) as the offensive needs from Joe are reduced and thus minutes would hopefully follow suit and game need. All hypothetical but I think this can be a pretty good team all things considered. The wildcards will be Woody and Frank ( now just Frank I guess) pending their decision given they add more athleticism and defensive depth.
Need a 3 forward now. With Woody leaving. Can you say Jimmy jr!!!

Maybe the best thing about this kid is his experience. He's played in big games, knows what it takes to win, and most of all, he knows that the grass is not always greener. He has a chance at major redemption coming to the Cuse- a match made in heaven.
If he shows out next year, JG3 comes back ready to rock, Buddy Buckets in full effect, Sidibe/Jesse/FA at the 5, and Q and/or Symir rounding out the top 8...that's a legit Top 15 squad and ACC contender. Bookmarkit!

Maybe the best thing about this kid is his experience. He's played in big games, knows what it takes to win, and most of all, he knows that the grass is not always greener. He has a chance at major redemption coming to the Cuse- a match made in heaven.
If he shows out next year, JG3 comes back ready to rock, Buddy Buckets in full effect, Sidibe/Jesse/FA at the 5, and Q and/or Symir rounding out the top 8...that's a legit Top 15 squad and ACC contender. Bookmarkit!
Did you forget about Benny?

In Nico’s interview posted above he reported that Swider will attend newhouse and is interested in a career in sports media. I have always wondered why we haven’t used that more in recruiting so athletes can think after they are finished playing they can be incredibly well prepared to make money in media. Good to see the staff putting this to use.
Newhouse is tough to get into. Most athletes can't get in out of high school. They enroll in another SU school and then try to transfer in after a few good semesters after they've proved themselves academically.

Did you forget about Benny?
Even better! God I hope JB gives people mins. The whole “6-men-&-a-cloud-of-dust” rotation needs to be done with. Play the kids, or you’ll need to recruit a new team every year.

We don’t take Swider unless he knew his role.
He left Nova to get more PT.

We all should thank Quincy and wish him well,
Benny is starting.
Swider is starting.
I'm not sure Benny is starting. If he doesn't play defense, he'll probably get limited minutes off the bench. Nothing is guaranteed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom