Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse

The statistics on how the team played with certain guys on the court are what they are.

I hope Coach pushes all the right buttons and hits all the right notes, in a distraction and disruption free season next year.

And that Swider maintains that 40% from 3 on greater volume.
the pick and pop is made for Cole picking for Buddy. Houston doubled Buddy off the pick and left Marek and QG to beat them. They didn't. If someone tries that now, Cole will bury threes. It even works the other way with buddy screening for Cole. Not quite as good but it still works. Now if Benny is as good as advertised and , uh oh, Joe can take a jr leap shooting the ball, we have seen it time and time again here, watch out. And I hear that jess will be in town for the summer session to lift and work on low post moves. This could make dasher a happy man.

The statistics on how the team played with certain guys on the court are what they are.

I hope Coach pushes all the right buttons and hits all the right notes, in a distraction and disruption free season next year.

That is the best argument - but it leads to the inevitable q of why. People saying he’s stubborn and playing favs is where they lose me. I’m starting to lean into “he knew Kadary was leaving and didn’t want to reward a guy with experience he wouldn’t use here next year” with “he was trying to get something out of KR by using PT as a carrot” a close 2nd

I don’t know what next year will look like, to much churn. Liked what I saw from Buddy late, obviously. Worried about athleticism. Excited to see Jesse take another step or two

Lol

So you think the coaching staff doesn’t balance a bunch of factors into playing time including but not limited to, defense
I believe JB is smart guy who says whatever he has to justify whatever he does.

If defense mattered as much as you State it wouldn’t have taken 8 minutes each half for the best defensive guard on the team to get in game after game.

Implying the coaching staff is anything more than JB is laughable as well.
You like to debate points but ignore the fact it’s been said numerous times JB does what he wants regardless of what the assistants think.
Also if defense mattered then spacing wouldn’t matter.
JB with Girard and Buddy has changed from defense mattering the most.
We have become a jump shooting team.
I am sure you come up with something to comeback with but DW nailed it.

Swider is a great fit for the team.
Dasher nailed he is perfect for the pick and pop game.

the pick and pop is made for Cole picking for Buddy. Houston doubled Buddy off the pick and left Marek and QG to beat them. They didn't. If someone tries that now, Cole will bury threes. It even works the other way with buddy screening for Cole. Not quite as good but it still works. Now if Benny is as good as advertised and , uh oh, Joe can take a jr leap shooting the ball, we have seen it time and time again here, watch out. And I hear that jess will be in town for the summer session to lift and work on low post moves. This could make dasher a happy man.
My kingdom for a drop step.

I believe JB is smart guy who says whatever he has to justify whatever he does.

If defense mattered as much as you State it wouldn’t have taken 8 minutes each half for the best defensive guard on the team to get in game after game.

Implying the coaching staff is anything more than JB is laughable as well.
You like to debate points but ignore the fact it’s been said numerous times JB does what he wants regardless of what the assistants think.
Also if defense mattered then spacing wouldn’t matter.
JB with Girard and Buddy has changed from defense mattering the most.
We have become a jump shooting team.
I am sure you come up with something to comeback with but DW nailed it.
I don’t think you read what I wrote. If you think JB or his staff don’t value defense you’re nuts. It’s a calculation that *involves* defense and offense and where they play and where they are in their development

All of that matters. Not a complicated point and I think you’d probably agree, normally

I don’t think you read what I wrote. If you think JB or his staff don’t value defense you’re nuts. It’s a calculation that *involves* defense and offense and where they play and where they are in their development

All of that matters. Not a complicated point and I think you’d probably agree, normally
Of course they value defense.
Every coach in the nation values defense.
Somebody made the point that defense could keep Benny Williams from starting.
I said that if that was the case then defense would prevent Joe Girard from starting.
The top of the zone matters more for the zone to work defensively.

If defense sits Benny down then I said that would be a joke because of how JB has treated the guards.

Of course they value defense.
Every coach in the nation values defense.
Somebody made the point that defense could keep Benny Williams from starting.
I said that if that was the case then defense would prevent Joe Girard from starting.
The top of the zone matters more for the zone to work defensively.

If defense sits Benny down then I said that would be a joke because of how JB has treated the guards.
I think it’s more complicated than that. What are the expectations for a freshman wing vs a sophomore guard? Is Benny showing improvement? Is he coachable? Who is his backup?

I think it’s more complicated than that. What are the expectations for a freshman wing vs a sophomore guard? Is Benny showing improvement? Is he coachable? Who is his backup?
You ignore roster management.
Can we have 4 guards on the roster who can be scholarship recruited players.
Having only 3 guards on a roster with 13 scholarship able to be given doesn’t give an excuse for why defense doesn’t matter for them.

If defense sits Benny and it doesn’t sit Joe then yes it will be a joke.

Swider and Benny should start and play the starters minutes at forward.

That is the best argument - but it leads to the inevitable q of why. People saying he’s stubborn and playing favs is where they lose me. I’m starting to lean into “he knew Kadary was leaving and didn’t want to reward a guy with experience he wouldn’t use here next year” with “he was trying to get something out of KR by using PT as a carrot” a close 2nd

I don’t know what next year will look like, to much churn. Liked what I saw from Buddy late, obviously. Worried about athleticism. Excited to see Jesse take another step or two
Why do you have to go so deep as "he knew Kadary was leaving and didn't want to reward" as apposed to Kadary wasn't worthy of the leader, pg role based on off court demeanor. Lets review some of the things that have come out:
*told ex-player complaints - Ryan Blackwell
*participated in party during covid times
*told AAU coach of problems
*gave quote to Athletic saying "he was looking for freedom"
*entered portal
*chose to transfer to Seton Hall

Which of those actions indicated that KR was a mature, intelligent person? None. So, why now in retrospect is it so hard for some people to see that JB may have thought KR had some work to do to take a position on the team where leadership is important?

It's hard for me to understand someone ranking some conspiracy theory (JB knew Kadary was leaving) over the much more logical motive that JB thought Kadary had work to do to earn the starting point guard role (both on and off the court).

Why do you have to go so deep as "he knew Kadary was leaving and didn't want to reward" as apposed to Kadary wasn't worthy of the leader, pg role based on off court demeanor. Lets review some of the things that have come out:
*told ex-player complaints - Ryan Blackwell
*participated in party during covid times
*told AAU coach of problems
*gave quote to Athletic saying "he was looking for freedom"
*entered portal
*chose to transfer to Seton Hall

Which of those actions indicated that KR was a mature, intelligent person? None. So, why now in retrospect is it so hard for some people to see that JB may have thought KR had some work to do to take a position on the team where leadership is important?

It's hard for me to understand someone ranking some conspiracy theory (JB knew Kadary was leaving) over the much more logical motive that JB thought Kadary had work to do to earn the starting point guard role (both on and off the court).

questioning a players off the court intelligence is bull . Enough.
move on

So if everything breaks right, we’ll be good? Love the optimism.

Few issues with your pick and pop claim:
- You have to be able to set a good pick, take the impact, reset, get hit in the shooting pocket and rise and fire. You have to be tough and athletic to pull that off as a part of a system. Maybe those guys can do it. But I don’t see it.

- The other part of the pick and pop that I worry about is if you’re running it with someone that can’t take the pick, get switched, and then smoke his guy off the dribble, all you’re doing is letting the defense stay glued to the shooters.

I honestly don’t see it. Now, if you’re telling me that we’ll have Buddy and Swider spacing the floor and we’re running pick and roll without them and letting the ball handler hit them behind the three point line, I can see it.

Jesse needs two things:
- catch a lob on a pick and roll
- strong hand baby hook

Anything else is gravy.

Fingers crossed our spacing let’s us get some rim runs, gets Swider and Buddy open threes and Benny space to cook.

If it was another coach, maybe, but JB has always coached every game like it's the National Championship (i.e. very short bench).

So if everything breaks right, we’ll be good? Love the optimism.

Few issues with your pick and pop claim:
- You have to be able to set a good pick, take the impact, reset, get hit in the shooting pocket and rise and fire. You have to be tough and athletic to pull that off as a part of a system. Maybe those guys can do it. But I don’t see it.

- The other part of the pick and pop that I worry about is if you’re running it with someone that can’t take the pick, get switched, and then smoke his guy off the dribble, all you’re doing is letting the defense stay glued to the shooters.

I honestly don’t see it. Now, if you’re telling me that we’ll have Buddy and Swider spacing the floor and we’re running pick and roll without them and letting the ball handler hit them behind the three point line, I can see it.

Jesse needs two things:
- catch a lob on a pick and roll
- strong hand baby hook

Anything else is gravy.

Fingers crossed our spacing let’s us get some rim runs, gets Swider and Buddy open threes and Benny space to cook.

Swider is 6-9 230. That is good size to set the screen. If the defender switches how effective that switch will be depends on the defender. The whole point is that you have to defend both players with a switch or with the defender trying to fight the screen. Both Buddy and Cole have shown they can get their feet set and shot off quickly. You say you don't see that yet both are effective doing so and on tape as much.

Neither Buddy or Cole are statues/stationary guys. Thus the defender has to defend the drive. If they overplay the perimeter then you run pick and roll or have Cole post. It's simple action and with those two players it's more likely to work given the combination of size and shooting.

Also, you forget that the intention is also that this action draws a help defender to let you swing it and get a good 1v1 matchup for Benny.

Finally - using Jesse as the screener all the time takes your best rebounder and biggest guy on the court away from the hoop. If you don't have to pull him away why would you?

The quality of the screen is of course important but remember we ran a ton of action with Buddy and QG this year. QG was not really a threat off the screen action either rolling or popping. He doesn't cut or get into his move fast enough.

Additional edit- Buddy and Cole as guys who do nothing but spot up while you run a two man game with a PG and Jesse is not at all hard to defend. It also potentially leaves you with too many possessions without two of your best scoring options getting a touch. We ran this type of action with Battle and Frank a ton and spent our lives in rock fights. Running more action with two 3 level scorers does a lot more for me than hoping the pass is going to get there.

Last edited:
The weaknesses next year are going to be whether we can beat good pressing defenses and then make teams pay who overplay our best options. That means getting to the rim. The opportunities and matchups will be there- can we get it done is the question. There are good options that will likely work. The best teams on the schedule will take things away - will we have enough to overcome that? We will see

The only thing I can say about Swider is, I really wanted him out of high school and I'm psyched we got a 2nd shot at him. I think he's a fantastic addition to the team.
With the addition of him,and Benny, and the little run we made at the end of the season I'm excited and interested in next season

Swider is 6-9 230. That is good size to set the screen. If the defender switches how effective that switch will be depends on the defender. The whole point is that you have to defend both players with a switch or with the defender trying to fight the screen. Both Buddy and Cole have shown they can get their feet set and shot off quickly. You say you don't see that yet both are effective doing so and on tape as much.

Neither Buddy or Cole are statues/stationary guys. Thus the defender has to defend the drive. If they overplay the perimeter then you run pick and roll or have Cole post. It's simple action and with those two players it's more likely to work given the combination of size and shooting.

Also, you forget that the intention is also that this action draws a help defender to let you swing it and get a good 1v1 matchup for Benny.

Finally - using Jesse as the screener all the time takes your best rebounder and biggest guy on the court away from the hoop. If you don't have to pull him away why would you?

The quality of the screen is of course important but remember we ran a ton of action with Buddy and QG this year. QG was not really a threat off the screen action either rolling or popping. He doesn't cut or get into his move fast enough.

Additional edit- Buddy and Cole as guys who do nothing but spot up while you run a two man game with a PG and Jesse is not at all hard to defend. It also potentially leaves you with too many possessions without two of your best scoring options getting a touch. We ran this type of action with Battle and Frank a ton and spent our lives in rock fights. Running more action with two 3 level scorers does a lot more for me than hoping the pass is going to get there.

I don't really agree with almost anything you are writing, tbh. Which is fine.

I was calling out Q's poor screening all year. It was chronic and a disservice to even put him into action.

Buddy is fantastic at getting square. It's why I jokingly call him Klay Thompson. The kid could be square on a shot if he got hit by a mack truck.

But he and Cole are going to be guarded by guys that can switch and stay in their shorts on defense. I don't think either have the ability to drive by guys that are decent defenders in that situation. Clearly a difference of opinion there. I don't think it's wise to make Buddy have to make that pass or have to have him be the de facto PG if you want any dribble penetration. He's a great shooter. Let him shoot. Klay scored 60 points on 11 dribbles. Having someone do more does not equal someone being better.

I also don't agree that Jesse should stay near the rim while we're running action 22 feet away while Joe and Benny stand around. I want him setting hard picks and rolling with Joe running point. People told me to get over Kadary, I am. Let's give Joe tape of Kyle Lowry and get him in the greatest shape of his life to mimic his game after him. So he can be the guy driving the car to get Buddy and Cole open looks and Jesse dunks on rim runs. This should also give enough space for letting Benny do this thing.

If we are going Joe, Buddy and Cole as our starting 1-3, our defense won't be elite, so it means we need to score. It cannot be Buddy shooting a million shots again. The kid can be a walking bucket, but we'll never win consistently if he has to play hero ball (note, I am not saying he is a ball hog). We need more balanced scoring and we need to get to the rim so we get points from being in the penalty with our free throw shooters.

Just my 0.02.

I shouldn’t have said anything because I’m really not all that interested anymore and I don’t want to jam up the thread with BS.

But you seem to defend every single decision JB makes as if it’s infallible. I probably did the same thing to an extent...when we were 34-3 and people were bitching about MCW’s playing time. Not so much when we’re 19-14 every year and the be...nope. No more Kadary talk.
someone had to pick up the slack for Townie.

Hey guys we are recording with Cole Swider on the podcast tonight. Got any questions you think would be good to ask? We will get to as many of them as we can. Thanks!
1- how much do the coaches reveal about future recruiting and strategy during his recent recruitment? how much of a factor was that in his decision?

2. did he know if QG coming back or no? etc...did that factor into hs decision?

3 - what would he like SU to do, if anything, in the transfer portal/recruiting market this offseason?

Paging CuseRunner
No No No GIF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom