Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse

Looks to be in great shape. Probably still 220-225 for sure. Looks like a senior too. I think Cole should be really good for us.
I could be wrong, (just ask my wife), but I have a strong sense based on watching him at Nova that CS is gonna really end up as a critical component for us this year. In fact while he won't be a complete surprise, still people are going to be surprised just how good he can be in the right offensive scheme. I see a lot to like in this young man.
He is going to rock the Dome !

I could be wrong, (just ask my wife), but I have a strong sense based on watching him at Nova that CS is gonna really end up as a critical component for us this year. In fact while he won't be a complete surprise, still people are going to be surprised just how good he can be in the right offensive scheme. I see a lot to like in this young man.
He is going to rock the Dome !
Around 70% of his shots are from the outside, I’m not doubting he can shoot, but what else does he do?

Around 70% of his shots are from the outside, I’m not doubting he can shoot, but what else does he do?
70% of Quincy’s shots came from inside. What else did he do? It works both ways.

QG is not going to be replaced. There will be a different look. We may be a better team in some ways and worse in others. You can't compare Cole and QG given they are two completely different players. So one vs the other is not an argument that even makes sense. If there is a player ( or has to be for sake of discussion) who is replacing QG it's Benny. Cole replaces Griffin if we have to play that game.

QG is not going to be replaced. There will be a different look. We may be a better team in some ways and worse in others. You can't compare Cole and QG given they are two completely different players. So one vs the other is not an argument that even makes sense. If there is a player ( or has to be for sake of discussion) who is replacing QG it's Benny. Cole replaces Griffin if we have to play that game.
I agree with this. I am hoping Cole will be a more consistent player than Griffin. Griffin's peak was high at times, and he carried the team some games. I am hoping Cole doesn't have the lows Griffin had.

certain aspects of the game: Swider > Q
other certain aspects of the game: Q > Swider

who ends up being more productive/valuable overall we shall see
Sure, I’m just asking what aspect out of 3 point shooting is Cole good at? Looking from the outside in it looks as he shoots threes above average and doesn’t do anything else above average.

If he starts and plays 30+ he NEEDS to be a more complete player.

If there is a player ( or has to be for sake of discussion) who is replacing QG it's Benny. Cole replaces Griffin if we have to play that game.
get what you're saying, but I think you could argue Benny is more of a direct AG replacement than a QG replacement

I agree with this. I am hoping Cole will be a more consistent player than Griffin. Griffin's peak was high at times, and he carried the team some games. I am hoping Cole doesn't have the lows Griffin had.

Essentially Cole needs to be a 14/8 guy for SU to be good. That is still only one piece of the puzzle. He needs to be at least a 2 level scorer and a solid rebounder using his size. To me that will have his PER close to what we need and providing the benefits on both ends at his position.

get what you're saying, but I think you could argue Benny is more of a direct AG replacement than a QG replacement

I mean to that extent it's why I don't even like making that comparison. Cole and Benny are not Quincy and Alan. It's a different approach on offense. It also is a different look defensively in terms of strength and weaknesses.

Sure, I’m just asking what aspect out of 3 point shooting is Cole good at? Looking from the outside in it looks as he shoots threes above average and doesn’t do anything else above average.

If he starts and plays 30+ he NEEDS to be a more complete player.

Cole does have an around the basket game. It was almost never featured at Nova so the question mark becomes is it an effective tool at this level. You can see moments where almost accidentally he gets a catch or board in position and he did pretty well. His inside game is at least conversationally similar to QG- from the footwork perspective. But we need 6 points a game from him around the hoop in my opinion.

Are you serious? Have you watched him play? He rebounds.

You’ve joined the Swider > Q list.

unreal.
This isn't above CS > QG, or about QG is > than CS, at least not to me. To me it is more about the offensive scheme, and the pieces in that scheme. I respect your viewpoint and it has serious merit, but the scheme when employed properly is greater than the individual parts. This isn't to say I not excited about CS, because anyone who shoots 40 % + from 3 and is 6'-9" 225 is someone to get excited about. CS was in the wrong offensive scheme at V , plain and simple, I think CS will excel as an Orangeman. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
I have seen enough college BB that I am excited about the prospect of having BB, CS, & Benny W. all having the capability of dropping the 3 ball and creating a ton of opportunity inside.
The issue is, as you correctly pointed out, can we take advantage of the opportunities that results down low and can we rebound the BB. Time will answer those questions. I know I didn't mention how we will handle pressure defense, but that's another story, and that is a story that could be fatal this year.
In the end the efficiency of the center position, and the development of Bennies play down low will decide the fate of this years team, as the defenses will be drawn out to defend the 3 ball I believe.
But as they say, you can't be everywhere all the time, so if the 3 ball shooting is what I believe it will be Syracuse is going to be a tough out.

I mean to that extent it's why I don't even like making that comparison. Cole and Benny are not Quincy and Alan. It's a different approach on offense. It also is a different look defensively in terms of strength and weaknesses.
yep, agree

Cole does have an around the basket game. It was almost never featured at Nova so the question mark becomes is it an effective tool at this level. You can see moments where almost accidentally he gets a catch or board in position and he did pretty well. His inside game is at least conversationally similar to QG- from the footwork perspective. But we need 6 points a game from him around the hoop in my opinion.
If he does awesome, maybe it was the way he was featured at Nova, but that is my concern with him as he shoots almost everything from the outside. I love the three more than anyone but we do need some scoring from the inside, we cannot be too one dimensional.

Essentially Cole needs to be a 14/8 guy for SU to be good. That is still only one piece of the puzzle. He needs to be at least a 2 level scorer and a solid rebounder using his size. To me that will have his PER close to what we need and providing the benefits on both ends at his position.

Nah, expecting 14 & 8 from Cole is - "get used to disappointment meme here".

He averaged 2.5 boards in 16 mins/game at Nova for his *career.
* closer to 3 boards / game in 18 mins/game his last 2 years.

But something like 14 & 6? Sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom