Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse

I was being tongue in cheek... I have come to terms that you aren't seeing the same things I am when watching the same video.

I guess that's why they play the games
That’s why they have statistics. End of the day, 1 shot inside the arc per game.

So if he played the 5, 6 rebounds and .2 blocks per 40 is acceptable? You should get that by accident. It’s the Big East for Christ sake.

You are talking about a Nova team that averaged 2.6 and 1.6 blocks per game the past two years- they don't emphasize protecting the rim with their small ball approach.

As for rebounds it's a system thing. We don't know how he will do rebounding the zone. I think we all agree it's about optimism in those of us speculating him rebounding well given his size as much as anything. Not gonna shy away from that stat being worrisome. Cole himself mentioned rebounding in the post commit interviews.

Using the Griffin example- we always look at transfers to add something and improve as well.

Griffin averaged .4 blocks per 40 at Illinois and then 2.1 per 40 here for example. Some of that I think was him being challenged a lot like I said but still that was a big jump. Also he went from 1.3 assists per 40 to 2.4. Both you could say were legit concerns but he was a lot better in one case and somewhat in the other.

So the hope here is Cole's jump is on the rebounding side especially while being a year better offensively.

They played different positions. You know this
Which is even more insane, one was a small forward and one was a center. This would work if there positions were swapped.

Which is even more insane, one was a small forward and one was a center. This would work if there positions were swapped.

Of the top 50 rebounders in the country last year 8 are listed as Centers, 5 as guards and 37 forwards. In total 20/50 of the top rebounders are listed as 6-7 or shorter.

Of the top 50 rebounders in the country last year 8 are listed as Centers, 5 as guards and 37 forwards. In total 20/50 of the top rebounders are listed as 6-7 or shorter.
Where was swider listed? Nevermind, the things he isn’t good at don’t matter anymore.

Where was swider listed? Nevermind, the things he isn’t good at don’t matter anymore.

Wasn't the point just saying how positions don't really make the case on rebounding numbers. If Cole puts up 6 boards a game in 27-30 mpg that would be the improvement we would be looking for based upon his Nova numbers and effectively do what we are looking for from his position. It wouldn't be any kind of crazy improvement but a fairly reasonable jump from his per 40 numbers.

Anything above that is gravy from him.

Wasn't the point just saying how positions don't really make the case on rebounding numbers. If Cole puts up 6 boards a game in 27-30 mpg that would be the improvement we would be looking for based upon his Nova numbers and effectively do what we are looking for from his position. It wouldn't be any kind of crazy improvement but a fairly reasonable jump from his per 40 numbers
Agreed, for me to get off his back, he needs to average what you’re saying, about 8 per 40.

I stick to my point that I’m glad he’s here and he is an asset, I just don’t think he is close to what people think he is, especially on the defensive side.

trying to imagine what it must be like to spend significant time/effort shouting down ppl that have the audacity to posit that there's a decent chance a transfer player will end up being a net-positive for the team you're supposedly a fan of

Agreed, for me to get off his back, he needs to average what you’re saying, about 8 per 40.

I stick to my point that I’m glad he’s here and he is an asset, I just don’t think he is close to what people think he is, especially on the defensive side.

I don't think it's a stretch given it was an off season focal point he made in both his rebounding and lateral mobility. At least coming in he wasn't shy about what he needed to work on.

Defensively it's going to come down to our Centers. We were not good on D the past two years and the zone wasn't just struggling up top it was easy pickings often down low. Jesse can hopefully make Cole look like a better defender paired with at least some improvements mentioned above. Benny should be a plus defender given his size and athleticism question marks being his positioning.

I suspect if we are gonna get roasted it will be in covering the perimeter. The easy looks inside should come down. My bigger worry is defending the 3 ball.

I don't think it's a stretch given it was an off season focal point he made in both his rebounding and lateral mobility. At least coming in he wasn't shy about what he needed to work on.

Defensively it's going to come down to our Centers. We were not good on D the past two years and the zone wasn't just struggling up top it was easy pickings often down low. Jesse can hopefully make Cole look like a better defender paired with at least some improvements mentioned above. Benny should be a plus defender given his size and athleticism question marks being his positioning.

I suspect if we are gonna get roasted it will be in covering the perimeter. The easy looks inside should come down. My bigger worry is defending the 3 ball.
Last year all of our forwards could get to the front of the zone quickly to help Buddy and Joe, I don’t think Jimmy and Cole will be able to do that. And if one side isn’t doing it I doubt Benny will be asked to.

The good thing is the zone is naturally good against the three.

Same in-conference DRB% as Griffin last year. Stats tell a story, often only the one the narrator chooses.

Last year all of our forwards could get to the front of the zone quickly to help Buddy and Joe, I don’t think Jimmy and Cole will be able to do that. And if one side isn’t doing it I doubt Benny will be asked to.

The good thing is the zone is naturally good against the three.
They had the ability to get out, but they fell asleep a good percentage of the time. A little extra effort, with additional size might make a difference.

Spot on. I’m hoping Benny can be that guy (a slasher similar to Kris Jo and CJ) or that Joe can at least be serviceable getting into the lane. Kadary was such a huge loss on the dribble penetration front.
Gigantic loss. He would have been perfect with this group. Top 20 with him at the point.

To parahprase ODDBALL from "Kelly's Heros"

1632227599196.png

Wow, may want to check YouTube out. I get it, Griffin folded at the end of the year and he’s public enemy number one around here. But he is far more talented than Swider will ever be. Better shooter? No. Everything else? Absolutely.
Your opinion is he is more talented, but is he a better fit for the team?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom