Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider Transferring from Nova to Syracuse

I did not say anything about being happy losing Q and gaining Cole. Im not one of the everything is perfect guys on here and will wait to see how things shake out. I've stated numerous times I would like to be more athletic and we are turning into Iowa...but ill let the "dominos fall" before I get worked up. I hope Q returns because we will need his rebounding and blocking ability that Cole won't provide. I like the addition of Cole but not at the expense of losing Q.
Q put the ball down quite a bit this year to get to the rim. Even with the left. Wouldn’t say he was overly great at it, but capable enough pending matchups.

we do just need more players that can put the ball on the floor and get to their spots.

Because he is an unreal 7 foot plus athlete with a wing span like a condor who can jump over the back board and plays with an edge. Other than that he doesn't bring much to the table.
What?? Condor

the closest Allen griffin is going to get to the nba is if he buys a ticket
His dad can get some freebies.
Actually if he can develop his handle and get the mental side down he can make a solid career overseas as again im sure between his Dad and JB he would land a solid gig.

Jimmie B is the ultimate wildcard (he could be a scholie or a walk on). HCJB will make the right call. I'm not worried. One thing for certain...he'll know how to play zone so he can be a solid contributor in the Bahamas while the other new guys are figuring out things.
I'm already excited for some big early games next fall. And the stories too.

Was about 7 beers deep at family Easter (who schedules Easter on final four Saturday?) when my cousin told me Swider committed. Smoked a dart and had a couple more cold ones to think it over.

I’ve decided that I’m not sure how we aren’t a top 25 team next season. Probably the best shooting team in the country. Two real centers in Jesse and Frank. Buddy averages 19 and Joe talks more chit than anybody we’ve seen in orange in years.

And, of course, Woody Newton comes back to the Cuse and is PURE ELECTRICITY OFF OF THE BENCH

What a sport what a life

Was about 7 beers deep at family Easter (who schedules Easter on final four Saturday?) when my cousin told me Swider committed. Smoked a dart and had a couple more cold ones to think it over.

I’ve decided that I’m not sure how we aren’t a top 25 team next season. Probably the best shooting team in the country. Two real centers in Jesse and Frank. Buddy averages 19 and Joe talks more chit than anybody we’ve seen in orange in years.

And, of course, Woody Newton comes back to the Cuse and is PURE ELECTRICITY OFF OF THE BENCH

What a sport what a life
Too many pairs of cement shoes out there, but we should be able to score points and maybe knock some good teams off in some shootouts when we’re hot.

We must have watched a different Swider cuz that handle was suspecttttt. If he wasnt catching and shooting, he was pretty useless on the floor but hey, maybe new system will help
Did you see Houston double Buddy off the high screen and leave Marek and q all by themselves? Not worried about the shot from either. Let's see someone try that now. Cole will be fine here. the perfect is not the enemy of the good.

Last edited:
Great addition. Maybe the people who were calling to end the program on monday will relax a little.
maybe the people that were talking about walking away from the recruit will do the same.

So...per 2-4-7, we've lost Kadari Richmond (#88 coming out of high school), John Bol Ajak (#480) and Robert Braswell (Unrated) and gotten Symir Torrence, (#75), Cole Swider (#44) to go with Benny Williams, (#25)?

Sounds like a an upgrade to me.
We already had Benny. You'd really take Symir over Kadary? C'mon...

Like, Kadary is better, but even if Symir was 10-20% better, I probably wouldn't make the swap because it's going to take him most of the year to learn the zone well enough to get enough playing time to make the swap worthwhile, and at that point it'll be Girard's job and starting or playing more than 20 minutes will be out of the question.

So the real question is would you rather have Kadary at PG or Swider at the 3/4? I'd much rather have Kadary, simply because we don't have a starter who can break a defender down off the dribble on this team now.

I'm really curious to see how Swider does in the zone. Perhaps what he lacks in quickness he makes up for in size. I'm also curious to see how quickly he picks it up. I'm pretty sure Nova plays some 2-3 zone (I know they did a few years ago), but I don't know how similar Wright's 2-3 is to ours. I think they trap a lot less, and I'm not sure if the rules for slides are the same.

Looping back to the offensive end, in theory this lineup could be successful against top competition even without a true PG like Kadary, but they'd have to move the ball around really well and spend a fair amount of practice time on offense, which I doubt will happen. I'm concerned they won't be able to handle aggressive, in your face man-to-man without a true PG.

I’ve already accepted that we will be mediocre at best defensively, in the absolute best case scenario.

Shaping up to be a 2019-20 or 2016-17 type squad IMO.
I don't agree with that. With Edwards on the floor, the most important guy in the zone, we were much better. We will be big on the wings instead of small. That is always key for us. We will be at least 6'8 on the wings instead of 6'5 at one wing.

We already had Benny. You'd really take Symir over Kadary? C'mon...

Like, Kadary is better, but even if Symir was 10-20% better, I probably wouldn't make the swap because it's going to take him most of the year to learn the zone well enough to get enough playing time to make the swap worthwhile, and at that point it'll be Girard's job and starting or playing more than 20 minutes will be out of the question.

So the real question is would you rather have Kadary at PG or Swider at the 3/4? I'd much rather have Kadary, simply because we don't have a starter who can break a defender down off the dribble on this team now.

I'm really curious to see how Swider does in the zone. Perhaps what he lacks in quickness he makes up for in size. I'm also curious to see how quickly he picks it up. I'm pretty sure Nova plays some 2-3 zone (I know they did a few years ago), but I don't know how similar Wright's 2-3 is to ours. I think they trap a lot less, and I'm not sure if the rules for slides are the same.

Looping back to the offensive end, in theory this lineup could be successful against top competition even without a true PG like Kadary, but they'd have to move the ball around really well and spend a fair amount of practice time on offense, which I doubt will happen. I'm concerned they won't be able to handle aggressive, in your face man-to-man without a true PG.
Well, they didn't handle it all that great this year. I am most worried about full court pressure. might see a lot of that to close games and the two guys that handled it best are now gone. But we might not be done with bringing kids in either. Now that we have Cole and Symir and soon I suspect Jimmy, there might be more.

Well, they didn't handle it all that great this year. I am most worried about full court pressure. might see a lot of that to close games and the two guys that handled it best are now gone. But we might not be done with bringing kids in either. Now that we have Cole and Symir and soon I suspect Jimmy, there might be more.
I really hope you are right and we add some more pieces or keep Woody (I know it won’t happen) cause right now with this team and JBJ, I just don’t see us being more then a bubble team again.

So...per 2-4-7, we've lost Kadari Richmond (#88 coming out of high school), John Bol Ajak (#480) and Robert Braswell (Unrated) and gotten Symir Torrence, (#75), Cole Swider (#44) to go with Benny Williams, (#25)?

Sounds like a an upgrade to me.
I wish it worked like that, but...
Kadary is better than Symir.
Benny would have been a part of either ’team.’
Braswell knows the defense.
To play Swider, it means either losing Quincy and/or Griffin completely or for many of Swider’s minutes, so it’s not just an addition of Swider, but a deletion of one or two established players.
And overall defense and rebounding are diminished.

I don’t see upgrade. I see a transformation, into the kind of team JB hasn’t coached before, so I’m wondering if JB is going to adapt or if we are just going to get a lot of excuses for why this personnel set can’t do what he needs them to do.

I‘m now most excited to see how a full-time Jesse changes our defense. Which does not make for an exciting offseason.

I wish it worked like that, but...
Kadary is better than Symir.
Benny would have been a part of either ’team.’
Braswell knows the defense.
To play Swider, it means either losing Quincy and/or Griffin completely or for many of Swider’s minutes, so it’s not just an addition of Swider, but a deletion of one or two established players.
And overall defense and rebounding are diminished.

I don’t see upgrade. I see a transformation, into the kind of team JB hasn’t coached before, so I’m wondering if JB is going to adapt or if we are just going to get a lot of excuses for why this personnel set can’t do what he needs them to do.

I‘m now most excited to see how a full-time Jesse changes our defense. Which does not make for an exciting offseason.
Swider is considerably better than braswell. Not even close

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom