Coleman in the Big Mac | Syracusefan.com

Coleman in the Big Mac

SWC75

Bored Historian
He looked in good shape, moved well. Show some nice moves around the baskett but a couple of brutal jump shots. I think he's already in a conditioning program that will avoid the problems Fab had last year. DC2 looked like an immediate contributor who will give us the presence in the paint we lacked on offense this year. It's amazing how well we did with no inside scorer/rebounder and no consistent outside threat. it was all drives to the basket and fast breaks. Not next year.

Loved Kyle Anderson, who is going to UCLA. He remidned me a little of MCW with the baby face, the tall, skinny body and the great court vision/high BB IQ. I hope MCW plays like that next year.

We have all the pieces for a prototypical "great" team next year (didn't have it this year):
Playmaking, pass 1st PG (MCW)
Sharpshooter (Cooney)
Leadership (Triche/Fair/Southerland)
A guy who finishes around the basket and has a midrange game (Fair)
A legit low post presence (DC2)
Scorers off the bench (Cooney, Southerland)
Size off the bench (Keita, Rak)
A good mix of veterans and youngsters
A handful of jumpshooters (Southerland, Cooney, Triche, MCW, Fair)
Penetrators (Triche, MCW)
Great defensively

He looked in good shape, moved well. Show some nice moves around the baskett but a couple of brutal jump shots. I think he's already in a conditioning program that will avoid the problems Fab had last year. DC2 looked like an immediate contributor who will give us the presence in the paint we lacked on offense this year. It's amazing how well we did with no inside scorer/rebounder and no consistent outside threat.

I'm a bit surprised to read this and wonder if we were watching the same DaJuan Coleman in the same McD's All-American Game. He has a ton of work to do physically if he's to be ready and able to make a real, immediate contribution. I hope you are right and he's currently in a conditioning program because he needs to drop 20 lbs. and play much lighter on his feet. He looked sluggish and unenergetic for much of his time. There were some moments when he asserted himself and looked over-powering, on a handful of plays, but he either couldn't or chose not to maintain the level of energy and activity that will be necessary to compete at the college level. The ability is there but I think we will see the Fab/Christmas treatment with him next season whereby he starts but averages no more than 10 to 12 game minutes and is worked hard in practice.

Tired of the knocks on DC2. The pregame reports that he was lazy, fat, out of shape etc.

Then a positive post by SWC and then the 2nd comment couldn't wait to contradict him.

This was a high school all star game where they are going up and down the court like in the old ABA.

DC never dogged it and made several very good basketball moves.

These games aren't constructed to show off low post skills.

He was the starting center in the freaking McDonald's All American game.

Let him enjoy his moment,

Get a grip people and quit knocking a kid who hasn't played a second in Orange.

We are very lucky to have him and Mike & Ryan will get him ready for the wars that await him.

Tired of the knocks on DC2. The pregame reports that he was lazy, fat, out of shape etc.

Then a positive post by SWC and then the 2nd comment couldn't wait to contradict him.

This was a high school all star game where they are going up and down the court like in the old ABA.

We are very lucky to have him and Mike & Ryan will get him ready for the wars that await him.
DC2 is the most polished offensive big freshman we've had since... I can't even remember

We have all the pieces for a prototypical "great" team next year (didn't have it this year):
Sharpshooter (Cooney)
Great defensively
I can't agree with you on "Leadership." Where have you seen that any of those guys can be leaders? They all seem to be very quiet. What leadership qualities have any of them shown?

Well said, OE. I saw all I needed with about a few plays.

1)Him walking to the court. He is big, big, big, Dejuan Blair Big. Not fat.
2)He's jump stop, put the ball on the floor, and move for two. Yes, he might play below the rim but with his size, strength and skill around the basketball, the works well in college. Blair destroyed everyone by using his size and strength and with a soft touch, that is all that will mater.
3)His outlet pass. I talked about that when he was a frosh, how he threw an outlet better than any of our bigs at the time. This opens up transition.
4)He boxed out the big guy from Texas and moved him three feet for a board. That is DC, Melo, type dominance of the glass...

He's the best recruit for this program in a long time as he's instant impact but not going pro after 1 year or 2 years.

I can't agree with you on "Leadership." Where have you seen that any of those guys can be leaders? They all seem to be very quiet. What leadership qualities have any of them shown?

Even the recruits seem quiet. I have a feeling MCW, with all of that bottled up frustration from this season is going to be that guy. I can't wait to see him unleashed, he'll be a great post feeder too. Now if he can get his buddy to commit, that will be the biggest assist he'll ever get.​

Then a positive post by SWC and then the 2nd comment couldn't wait to contradict him

With all respect, I wasn't looking for an opportunity to contradict anybody. I'm not knocking anyone and I'm thrilled that Coleman will be wearing Orange. But in considering the debate on whether or not he's ready and able to consistently contribute at the college level, he just isn't. That doesn't mean that he won't be in 6 months or a year from now it just means it's going to take plenty of hard work and dedication for him to reach the level of our expectations. As it did with Fab and is continuing with Christmas. Maybe I'm wrong and I truly hope I am. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Sharpshooter (Cooney)
Great defensively
Good analysis but you might want to add Cooney to your list of penetraters. From what I've heard the kid has really progressed in this area. He's more of a two-three bounce and pull-up type of player but he can definitely put it on the floor.

With all respect, I wasn't looking for an opportunity to contradict anybody. I'm not knocking anyone and I'm thrilled that Coleman will be wearing Orange. But in considering the debate on whether or not he's ready and able to consistently contribute at the college level, he just isn't. That doesn't mean that he won't be in 6 months or a year from now it just means it's going to take plenty of hard work and dedication for him to reach the level of our expectations. As it did with Fab and is continuing with Christmas. Maybe I'm wrong and I truly hope I am. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
From what I could see last night there was only one ready to play college kid in the bunch and that was Shabazz Muhammad.

Playing in All-Star games as a big man generally sucks. This is kind of a lame comparison (and in no way am I saying I am/was as good at basketball as BRNCUSEFRCUSE) but I got to play in a few in HS and I was a PF and it wasn't really all that much fun.

Guards dictate everything. They'll feed you an occasional bone on a post-up or a fast break but for the most part they are looking to shoot and there you are as a big ... just running from post to post while horrible shot after horrible shot is taken. It's tough to get incredibly motivated. Your best hope is just cleaning up on the boards.

Playing in All-Star games as a big man generally sucks. This is kind of a lame comparison (and in no way am I saying I am/was as good at basketball as BRNCUSEFRCUSE) but I got to play in a few in HS and I was a PF and it wasn't really all that much fun.

They'll feed you an occasional bone on a post-up or a fast break but for the most part they are looking to shoot and there you are as a big ... just running from post to post while horrible shot after horrible shot is taken. Your best hope is just cleaning up on the boards.
Exactly.

Did anyone see him dogging it?

Was he tugging on his shorts?

Raising his hand to come out of the game?

The answer's are no, no and no.

Nation of Blue a Kentucky Blog wrote this prior to the game and apparently without having seen a practice:

Prior to Nerlens Noel's reclassification, Coleman was the top center target on Kentucky's board. He chose to stay local and play for the Orange, and the Wildcats received a commitment from Willie Cauley a few days after. While Cauley is an intriguing talent, but is lesser heralded than Coleman and, well, not at the McDonald's All-American level.

While Coleman is plenty talented, the knock on him is conditioning. Kentucky should have no such problems on that front with Cauley, who also played tight end for his high school football team.

Regarding Coleman, I want to see if he looks physically ready to step into Syracuse's rotation and play major minutes. After all, both the Orange and Wildcats are finalists for Noel, and Noel certainly will be a starting center somewhere next year. Interestingly enough for Syracuse, if Coleman looks too good, that could hurt the Orangemen in their pursuit of Noel.
NOB

I'll be interested to see their post game report

I thought he looked pretty good. I think people wanted to see the above the rim kind of player like some of the guys were but that isnt his game. He looked like he slimmed down a bit and I think he will come into school even lighter.

This game is really terrible basketball lets face it. No defense, all show. I counted at least 5 times where he posted his guy up and called for the ball and the PG or whoever had the ball completely ignored him and just chucked up a shot.

He is not going to come in an make an impact like Anthony Davis or Jared Sullinger did. He is just not. What he will be however is ready to contribute and should by the end of his freshman season be a solid contributor for this team. After that the sky is the limit for this kid. I think he will eventually be one of the better big men we have had here.

Needs to work on his FT shooting BIG TIME because he will have countless opportunities down low with his offensive ability. If he can average 70% or higher for his career at the FT line he will be a major weapon for this team.

What were DC's final numbers for the game? Can't find online.

I was happily surprised by what i saw last night. From the 'pre-reports,' i expected to see a fat blob who was entirely indifferent to the game. DC looked nimble and fit. He ran the court during all those back and forth sequences which i expected would have been problematic for an out-of-season big man. He had nice form on his jumper. He made an overambitious dribble drive, but i liked his assurance on the attempt. While he missed wildly on a couple of shots, hey - it's an all star game, and he wasn't getting the ball when he was posting up. Kids get 'desperate' to prove themselves when guards aren't feeding them. Not a problem. He will be fine in a SYSTEM. I hope he gets an opportunity to step out and take elbow jumpers regularly. He will be an asset in pick and roll. And he has good size - even if his height is 'inflated,' per the norm, in a relative sense, he's big. And, yeah - that outlet pass was fantastic.

What i didn't like so much: He's active, but doesn't have that 'wildman'/must-get-rebound attitude. That 'high-rev motor' isn't there. But, you don't often see that in someone with his body type. He's going to have to be much more active and pro-active. Unfortunately, in the zone, i can foresee a lot of us becoming frustrated with his rebounding. He'll be 'close' to a lot of balls, but won't have a play on them.

dc2 got maye 10-11 touches via a pass from teammates all game. when the game got close he had several deflections and only got beat on a pnr. he had 12-13 boards and would have been shooting more fts if this wasnt an all star game. he moves well of offense, has really strong hands, has a good handle for a guy that size and and bice touch on his jumper. right now we have 2 bigs that are all about defense. if we get nn that makes 3. coleman moved well when it mattered and in the zone he will be just fine. on offense he will force teams to double him as he can get around his defender as opposed to just through him. i was really impresses.. he didnt force the issue too often at all.. is a huge body setting screens as well. i saw a lot of things you want with a good teammate. he was one of the mosy impressive players to go along with bazz, purvis, sulomon and tony parker. poythress is a ball hog , ridley is a hardworker but is limited right now, kyle anderson is really good as well but a little too much flair at times. i was impressed.. those who werent are watching this game like it was su-osu again.

I was concerned where he fit in prior to this game with the level of competition he was used to in HS. He alleviated all doubts. Very VERY VERY glad he's staying home. Likeable kid, who isn't afraid to mix it up down low, with nice touch and the ability to score points on his own in the block. I felt he should have had a double double if the refs gave him a little more respect. I saw 2-3 times he should have been to the line for 2. Dejuan Coleman will be an exciting player for Syracuse... starting next year. BIG D... thanks for staying home.

I think he's going to be a beast on the boards, and if he can show enough of a post game to get 4-5 touches down low a game, it will give our shooters a lot of open looks.

I was happily surprised by what i saw last night. From the 'pre-reports,' i expected to see a fat blob who was entirely indifferent to the game. DC looked nimble and fit. He ran the court during all those back and forth sequences which i expected would have been problematic for an out-of-season big man. He had nice form on his jumper. He made an overambitious dribble drive, but i liked his assurance on the attempt. While he missed wildly on a couple of shots, hey - it's an all star game, and he wasn't getting the ball when he was posting up. Kids get 'desperate' to prove themselves when guards aren't feeding them. Not a problem. He will be fine in a SYSTEM. I hope he gets an opportunity to step out and take elbow jumpers regularly. He will be an asset in pick and roll. And he has good size - even if his height is 'inflated,' per the norm, in a relative sense, he's big. And, yeah - that outlet pass was fantastic.

What i didn't like so much: He's active, but doesn't have that 'wildman'/must-get-rebound attitude. That 'high-rev motor' isn't there. But, you don't often see that in someone with his body type. He's going to have to be much more active and pro-active. Unfortunately, in the zone, i can foresee a lot of us becoming frustrated with his rebounding. He'll be 'close' to a lot of balls, but won't have a play on them.

Good post, my only thought was in regards to it being a negative that he didn't go all out for rebounds, I'd counter that a McDonalds AA Game is not the situation to accurately judge that on. If there was someone going all out, acting like a wildman for rebounds, he'd look pretty foolish, like a player in an all star game trying a little too hard, know what I mean? From everything I've heard, Coleman is a fantatic area rebounder & owns the boards.

My largest concern about Big D... they will call fouls on him. He is just stronger than everyone and because of that, refs will call him for bogus junk.

I only saw the first 5 minutes or so but when shots went up he seemed to be seeking out someone to box out. That's always a good sign - with that body he should be hold a lot of people at bay. In all-star game it's tough though since everyone is pretty much waiting for the highlight reel dunk.

I think Coleman's ability to set solid picks and make great passes at the top of the key will be fantastic. Defenders run around Bayesian like they are running around a light pole. Trying to get around Coleman will be like trying to get around a brick sh!thouse. I can see MCW and DC2 thriving in that situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom