Colgate Gameday...

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Syracuse vs Colgate
Monday, February 5, 2024 | 6:00 p.m.

Streaming: ACCNX | Adam Gotkin and Jesse Cook
Radio: TK99 (99.5 FM) / WAER (88.3 FM)

1707146354834.png

Have still only watched an extended highlight of the game, but a couple things from that and the stats:
-Colgate looks like they go into a semi-zone at times on D. I like our chances if they try that against us, but it seemed like it confused Penn State.
-Penn State had 22(!!) turnovers, but Colgate scored a lot of their goals in settled situations. #5, #17, and Minicuis #12 all look like very strong dodgers. Yes they are the same guys who did not put up serious numbers last season on a 2-9 team, but they can move. Probably most nervous about how we do in 1v1 defense.
-Fracyon had an atrocious game in goal. Far worse than anything we have seen from Mark. Colgate had some goals off the dodge but they were often shots from a low angel with the defense still pressuring the guy, but Fracyon somehow kept missing the stop.
-All in all I think the O will still get the job done with some help from the faceoff x, but I am very curious to see how this tests our defense. Guys in new roles at every D position need to step up to the plate

Have still only watched an extended highlight of the game, but a couple things from that and the stats:
-Colgate looks like they go into a semi-zone at times on D. I like our chances if they try that against us, but it seemed like it confused Penn State.
-Penn State had 22(!!) turnovers, but Colgate scored a lot of their goals in settled situations. #5, #17, and Minicuis #12 all look like very strong dodgers. Yes they are the same guys who did not put up serious numbers last season on a 2-9 team, but they can move. Probably most nervous about how we do in 1v1 defense.
-Fracyon had an atrocious game in goal. Far worse than anything we have seen from Mark. Colgate had some goals off the dodge but they were often shots from a low angel with the defense still pressuring the guy, but Fracyon somehow kept missing the stop.
-All in all I think the O will still get the job done with some help from the faceoff x, but I am very curious to see how this tests our defense. Guys in new roles at every D position need to step up to the plate

It's actually even worse then that as PSU had 25 turnovers and 8 failed clears.

FYI, appears Gate did run a lot of 10 man on Sat vs PSU. I suspect we will see a lot of it tonight. Cuse is hopefully prepared after the issues vs Mich with the 10 man. Vermont jumped into it a few times but you could tell it's not their MO and it didn't work.

FYI, appears Gate did run a lot of 10 man on Sat vs PSU. I suspect we will see a lot of it tonight. Cuse is hopefully prepared after the issues vs Mich with the 10 man. Vermont jumped into it a few times but you could tell it's not their MO and it didn't work.
Poles can’t be afraid to shoot from deep, if all else fails. Attack need to be aware for the backup.

Poles can’t be afraid to shoot from deep, if all else fails. Attack need to be aware for the backup.

100% and SU was one of the few teams who previously rarely used that as a counter. The word is out thought under Odierna because as Shutt noted below Kol fired one the first time Vermont jumped into a 10 man. I suspect that maybe a big part of the game plan moving forward against the 10 man.

Cuse had four failed clears against Vermont. Two stand out to me, one Figuerias seemed to lose the ball in the lights early in the game, the other it seemed as though the ball just came out of Dwan's stick weird and it flopped out of bounds. I can't remember the other two. But for the most part they were okay and Stevens was able to one man clear it a couple times.

Syracuse only cause two failed clears against the Catamounts - hard to nitpick about the performance but it seems like that is something they could have done a better job at. Especially given how shaky UVM looked on the clear.

100% and SU was one of the few teams who previously rarely used that as a counter. The word is out thought under Odierna because as Shutt noted below Kol fired one the first time Vermont jumped into a 10 man. I suspect that maybe a big part of the game plan moving forward against the 10 man.
For all the dumb rules complaints in sports the ability to call a clear, a shot, from 50 yds away is pretty dumb..

Even in basketball a shot from half court is not a shot unless it goes in.

Cuse had four failed clears against Vermont. Two stand out to me, one Figuerias seemed to lose the ball in the lights early in the game, the other it seemed as though the ball just came out of Dwan's stick weird and it flopped out of bounds. I can't remember the other two. But for the most part they were okay and Stevens was able to one man clear it a couple times.

Syracuse only cause two failed clears against the Catamounts - hard to nitpick about the performance but it seems like that is something they could have done a better job at. Especially given how shaky UVM looked on the clear.

I recall one, I think it was Riley he wen to make a pass and the ball just sailed on him. It was a decent size pass but the O guy was wide open and there was no pressure on Riley, just sailed. The Dwan one I recall as he caught the pass and in the course of passing it up field the ball fell out of his stick and he had no idea and it slowly trickled out of bounds while a bunch of us screaming at him that he dropped it.

Syracuse as long as I can remember has never been a riding team. they will have a one off game or two where they will cause a decent amount of turnovers via the ride but that's about it. Right or wrong it's never been a big part of Cuse's MO. Same with the 10 man ride. I can recall maybe once or twice in 30+ years I have seen them implement a 10 man. They did look to get close a few times on failures to advance but as you noted its just not a big part of SU's game.

For all the dumb rules complaints in sports the ability to call a clear, a shot, from 50 yds away is pretty dumb..

Even in basketball a shot from half court is not a shot unless it goes in.

Well you also need the officials to buy in and also have the backup. If you just wing it nowhere near the cage they will call it a pass and reward it to the Defense. Saw that happen in a few non SU games last year. There was some talk about changing the rule but I am skeptical they ever will

Well you also need the officials to buy in and also have the backup. If you just wing it nowhere near the cage they will call it a pass and reward it to the Defense. Saw that happen in a few non SU games last year. There was some talk about changing the rule but I am skeptical they ever will
Yea lots of moving parts.. It just seems like just because a ball thrown from distance is kinda online to call it a shot is a reach. Us the rules to your advantage, I guess.

Everyone hold on to your kiesters for this game

Just give it to Matt Abbott and get out of way :)

Yeah, Carc really made a point of this early on in the game (should apply consistent pressure) as it was apparent with all of Vermont's new/young personnel this could be quite problematic for them. However, with this game never being one that was likely to ever be in doubt, it's likely SU felt that they didn't have to exert any unwarranted energy on that front. SU likely knew and was rather confident in all of the offensive opportunities (dominating at the X) etc. they were going to have throughout the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom