Colgate plays a beautiful brand of basketball | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Colgate plays a beautiful brand of basketball

they missed 26 three pointers. thats more than SYRACUSE took...a team which has an offense based on 3 point shooting!

thats not shooting the lights out in my opinion.

17/43 is a good game ...but I have news for you...most teams in NCAA are gonna do something like that on 43 wide open threes.

these are uncontested shots.

the game has changed.

all teams have a few players now who can knock down open 3s.

this zone is about deciding who to leave wide open and that is not gonna work in this era.

unless the zone improves drastically...gonna have to just pray other teams miss. or the entire team gets hot.

but it seems they cracked and reverted to one on one when the pressure got turned up...bad sign as well.
Thanks for the news.

they missed 26 three pointers. thats more than SYRACUSE took...a team which has an offense based on 3 point shooting!

thats not shooting the lights out in my opinion.

17/43 is a good game ...but I have news for you...most teams in NCAA are gonna do something like that on 43 wide open threes.

these are uncontested shots.

the game has changed.

all teams have a few players now who can knock down open 3s.

this zone is about deciding who to leave wide open and that is not gonna work in this era.

unless the zone improves drastically...gonna have to just pray other teams miss. or the entire team gets hot.

but it seems they cracked and reverted to one on one when the pressure got turned up...bad sign as well.
The game has changed, old stubborn JB has not. Recipe for disaster.

Oh, are we doing the “actually Colgate is good”?

We need to acknowledge this is a bad loss.
I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive. I don't think Colgate is "good." They're still a Patriot League team. But I think they play the sport the way it's supposed to be played. It felt like one of Tony Bennett's teams with crisp, purposeful passing and zero hero ball.

I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive. I don't think Colgate is "good." They're still a Patriot League team. But I think they play the sport the way it's supposed to be played. It felt like one of Tony Bennett's teams with crisp, purposeful passing and zero hero ball.

I’m not disagreeing with you at all. I was just responding to some of the themes in the thread. I agree they played good ball and carved us up.

So we’re the 4th best team in New York this year? Maybe 5th since Cornell beat Colgate.

I’m confident this is me over reacting but the fact everything you said is true shows the poor state of the program and how far it’s fallen.
6th. Dont forget SUNY POLY. But hey...we in the top 10

They had a 14 pt lead on Ark in the tournament last year. And they have everyone back. This was always going to be a tougher game than people here thought. If they called themselves a different name, people would have more respect for them.
Did lose their PG who was their best player IMO, but your point is solid.

See ya. 3 games in? I have skipped playing poker on Saturdays for 20 years. Something I love and am good at for our football team.
yeah when that third game is a 15 point loss to colgate at home

Welp, that’s a bad loss no way around it, but it may have been one of those crazy games where their guys continued to gain confidence as the game went on and we lost it. We couldn’t seem to do anything right at the end. Look, UVA lost to Navy last week but most people figure Bennett is gonna figure his team out as the season goes on and they will be an ACC contender. So will JB—hopefully. These kinds of losses to very good mid majors can happen early in the season as teams are trying to gel, especially when you’re trying to integrate a lot of new players. Our forwards have a ton of improvement to make on defense if we want to be a good team. I don’t know if they’ll get there but I’m hopeful.

It's a very long season and we can obviously still make the tourney and get a good seed. There's tons of time to right the ship. But allowing 100 points and being dominated on the boards by a low-major team that we haven't lost to since JFK was President doesn't reflect well on the relative strength of our program.

We will find out very soon at Atlantis and vs. Indiana/Nova whether this game was an aberration or simply who we are this year. Fingers crossed it's the former.

ferguson just had his career high.

how many times in the past few seasons have players hit their career high vs this zone?

its not really that colgate is good as much as it is orange defense is bad.

the zone only works with incredible athletes and even then it still gives up a lot of open shots.

this years team is a sieve.

colgate wasnt really doing anything special. they just passed it inside and that man quxikly moved the ball ...then the defense was on rollerskates...and the next players passed to a wide open man for 3.

any team in the country that watches this tape can do the exact same thing...COLGATE DIDNT DO ANYTHING SPECIAL ...any team with a few 3 point shooters and a big man (which is most teams) will carve this d up unless it gets a lot better.
Their center didn’t move the ball quickly, he held it until the zone was scrambling every which way and lost their shooters.

Their center didn’t move the ball quickly, he held it until the zone was scrambling every which way and lost their shooters.
which didnt make sense...he just stood there basically and that caused the team to be totally flummoxed.

there was a lot of quick 1-2 passsing overall though...

I’ll give you 20:1… but I sincerely hope I lose this bet
Season 1 Netflix GIF

See ya. 3 games in? I have skipped playing poker on Saturdays for 20 years. Something I love and am good at for our football team.

I understand the "3 game in" overall point you're implying. However, there was a time not that long ago when we would typically coast through the November and December Dome/home OOC games against what was generally considered inferior competition.

The 'ol Syracuse never leaves the Dome until January spiel from the talking heads, etc. The thought then of losing '3 games in' at home in the Dome to such a perceived inferior opponent would have been inconceivable, let alone acceptable. IMO, it just goes to show how far from excellence we have fallen and to what we had been accustomed to. And, that our 'new normal' of regular season mediocrity these past several years (bascially since being in the ACC) is simply viewed as okay now.

Last edited:
Colgate played a great game. Good for them. It isn't the end of the world.
I didn't say or imply it was the end of the world. I said it was good basketball. Because it was.

Not sure why you think I'm implying it was the end of the world.

44cuse

I didn't say or imply it was the end of the world. I said it was good basketball. Because it was.

Not sure why you think I'm implying it was the end of the world.

44cuse
I didn't mean to imply that you said that. I was just pointing out to the board that it isn't the end of the world.

it seemed to me that they shot the lights out. That seems special to me. yes. they moved the ball and are guys were slow covering. But they still made those shots.
Dasher. Face the facts, we sucked tonight. They got creamed by Cornell. They are an average team. We played like crap and JB coached a horrible game.
This team will bounce back but we were exposed tonight.

I agree to it right now. If they win Atlantis I will Venmo you immediately.
Im good for 2 to 1. Su wins the tournament ill venmo you 40. If not you venmo me 20. Pm me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom