Colgate Post-Game | Syracusefan.com

Colgate Post-Game

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
I was at the Dome today. Very sparse crowd. Still very noisy (wondering if they are amplifying it, or piping some of it in ...).

Shrader seemed a bit rusty to me, although he got better as the game went on. Had great presence in the pocket, did not expose himself to big hits when running the ball. He wound up with some very decent numbers, but this was a "B" game from him, IMO.

It took a couple drives for the offensive line to get going. Two early penalties on Bleich More, (not) the Richmond transfer (who didn't play). Not a lot of push in the running game early, but by the second quarter they were wearing the Colgate defense down, and then suddenly LaQuint Allen ripped off 3 or 4 chunk runs.

Gadsden was terrific, Isaiah Jones, Alford, Hatcher all had good games. Donovan Brown with a lot of possession catches to move the chains. At RB, Juwann Price just didn't hit the hole hard enough. Ike Daniels did a terrific job in the 2nd half.

Defense is legitimately deep in the line and at LB. Not sure how good our depth is at DB yet. Colgate didn't really challenge them the way they will be challenged later in the season by better athletes.

I seriously love Stone Foot at punter. He's going to win an extra 2 or 3 games for us over last year just from the better field position. Bradaberg kicks them long, but they are line drives. My friend Sean was wondering if he'll be able to get away with the low trajectory against ACC opponents.

Wonderful effort. The team has to be absolutely pumped. So many guys played, and so many guys played well. Yes, it was "only" Colgate (or fill in the blank ...), but how many times have we come out and just smoked an opponent like this? Great start to the season!

Last edited:
Really impressed with the depth and rotation at DL and LB. I agree the secondary was never really challenged today so we'll see going forward but you've got to love Rocky's attack attack attack style. I feel like this D is going to keep us in a bunch of games this year (just like last year).

Was concerned in the first quarter, due to the penalties and ragged play. But we were also up 23-0, so it’d be silly to be upset.

Thought we played better offensively as the game progresses. I’ll continue to say that Shrader’s weapon is his legs. He’s never going to be an accurate passer (or at times even a good passer). But he extends plays and throws a good long ball.

LeQ looked very good. Good vision and found the holes.

Gadsen is the man. Great to see a few other WRs step up. The unit really looks the part, hope they play as good as they look when we get into the P5 schedule.

The defense is monstrous. All three levels looked great today.

Defense is deep.

Gill looks great for a fresh wide receiver. Think we have good depth at wide out finally.

Villari caught a pass and played a lot.

Ike had some nice moves.

Fresh TE got some run and looks like he has the build to be a traditional tight end.

I didn’t see any injuries and that’s a win in my mind. This defense is legit. Shrader passes seem like they still don’t have any zip to them but thought he played well regardless. Lequint is Legit ;) clean up the penalties but man this defense can help them stay in a lot of games

I was at the Dome today. Very sparse crowd. Still very noisy (wondering if they are amplifying it, or piping some of it in ...).

Shrader seemed a bit rusty to me, although he got better as the game went on. Had great presence in the pocket, did not expose himself to big hits when running the ball. He wound up with some very decent numbers, but this was a "B" game from him, IMO.

It took a couple drives for the offensive line to get going. Two early penalties on More, the Richmond transfer. Not a lot of push in the running game early, but by the second quarter they were wearing the Colgate defense down, and then suddenly LaQuint Allen ripped off 3 or 4 chunk runs.

Gadsden was terrific, Isaiah Jones, Alford, Hatcher all had good games. Donovan Brown with a lot of possession catches to move the chains. At RB, Juwann Price just didn't hit the hole hard enough. Ike Daniels did a terrific job in the 2nd half.

Defense is legitimately deep in the line and at LB. Not sure how good our depth is at DB yet. Colgate didn't really challenge them the way they will be challenged later in the season by better athletes.

I seriously love Stone Foot at punter. He's going to win an extra 2 or 3 games for us over last year just from the better field position. Bradaberg kicks them long, but they are line drives. My friend Sean was wondering if he'll be able to get away with the low trajectory against ACC opponents.

Wonderful effort. The team has to be absolutely pumped. So many guys played, and so many guys played well. Yes, it was "only" Colgate (or fill in the blank ...), but how many times have we come out and just smoked an opponent like this? Great start to the season!
More did not play, my friend. Other than that good stuff.

I didn’t see any injuries and that’s a win in my mind. This defense is legit. Shrader passes seem like they still don’t have any zip to them but thought he played well regardless. Lequint is Legit ;) clean up the penalties but man this defense can help them stay in a lot of games
Only one I saw was a limping OG, but he continued to play through it so you’d think he’s all good.

The punter is not going to be responsible for 3 more wins than last year.

Eh, some exaggeration on my part, but the guy last year was freaking awful. He only averaged 38 yards a kick, and with such short distance you hope for very few returns, but nope, we gave up an average 5 yard return per each of those puny kicks, for a net of only 33 yards per kick. I do recall a handful of games last year where 10 or 15 yard shanked punts led to opponent scores on the resulting drive.

So, maybe Stone Foot won't WIN us 3 games directly but he won't be causing us to lose those games like the last guy did.

Eh, some exaggeration on my part, but the guy last year was freaking awful. He only averaged 38 yards a kick, and with such short distance you hope for very few returns, but nope, we gave up an average 5 yard return per each of those puny kicks, for a net of only 33 yards per kick. I do recall a handful of games last year where 10 or 15 yard shanked punts led to opponent scores on the resulting drive.

So, maybe Stone Foot won't WIN us 3 games directly but he won't be causing us to lose those games like the last guy did.
I hear ya and agree!

Regarding DBs didn’t Wilson and DeLaine have INTS and Wilson a pick 6 ?

Yes, they were good. The Pick 6 was a thing of beauty.

But these Colgate guys were no challenge. We don't know how they will cover opponents who are more athletic than the guys they faced today.

We had 76 players participate in today's game great job by our staff to give all those young men an opportunity to reap the benefits of hard work.
That had to be essentially everyone who was eligible and wasn't injured, right?

Was hoping Ingraham would have been more dominate, since he came from Alabama. He played a lot of minutes in the second half. The good news is that the D line looked really good stuffing the run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom