Collective Deep Breath | Syracusefan.com

Collective Deep Breath

OptimusOtto

Scout Team
Can we all take a step back and take a collective deep breath? It's been five games - two of which came against top 10-15 programs operating at the peak of their powers. Yes there are some concerning trends and areas to improve, but there have also been flashes of potential. Our upcoming stretch of 6 games will tell us a lot more about this team than the last two.

A little dose of humble pie and seeing the standard we're trying to return to will go a long way for both the players and the staff.

Can we all take a step back and take a collective deep breath? It's been five games - two of which came against top 10-15 programs operating at the peak of their powers. Yes there are some concerning trends and areas to improve, but there have also been flashes of potential. Our upcoming stretch of 6 games will tell us a lot more about this team than the last two.

A little dose of humble pie and seeing the standard we're trying to return to will go a long way for both the players and the staff.

That's fair.

But the last THREE games [I'm lumping Colgate in] have highlighted some worrisome trends. And I don't believe that this team is as good as many of us hoped they'd gel into -- i.e., a team that could win 20+ and get into the tourney.

It's early, that's true. And we have a lot of new faces -- also true. And the coaches are asking them to do different things [man2man] than how many of these guys have played before. BUT we haven't shot well in 5 games. And we look susceptible defensively, and have gotten down by 20 in the two of the last three games [and 17 to Tennessee].

Lots to be concerned about.

That's fair.

But the last THREE games [I'm lumping Colgate in] have highlighted some worrisome trends. And I don't believe that this team is as good as many of us hoped they'd gel into -- i.e., a team that could win 20+ and get into the tourney.

It's early, that's true. And we have a lot of new faces -- also true. And the coaches are asking them to do different things [man2man] than how many of these guys have played before. BUT we haven't shot well in 5 games. And we look susceptible defensively, and have gotten down by 20 in the two of the last three games [and 17 to Tennessee].

Lots to be concerned about.
I'm not as worried about the defense thing that will take time and have growing pains, but the fundamentals of it don't look great. We can be fine for a few possessions then everything starts to break down with guys not really looking like they know what they're doing. Instincts seem to be lacking or they just aren't drilled enough to know how to react.

The offense though, hoooo boy. What a mess. Sets, inbounds, fundamentals, everything is lacking. Part of it is talent and no shooting, but that's alsowhy we need a better structure and stronger team play in the halfcourt. This looks like JB's recent offenses, with less shooting and no Jesse.

Red did himself a disservice bringing back the forwards as is and unfortunately getting the McLeod major downgrade (not really his fault). We're going to struggle all year with shooting, scoring and rebounding at the 3-5 spots. Missing a guard that can shoot is also going to be a major issue.

First off, I have faith that Red and the staff will get this better as the season progresses. Yes, 2 very good teams in UT and Gonzaga.

But, there are few good shooters on this team. Bell and Taylor if left open. The others will be streaky.

The passing to help said shooters has to improve. Movement has to be better.

Their out of bounds throwing the ball in under the Opposition basket has been an issue.

Rebounding is poor and the Offensive rebounding is worse.

I'm not writing them off or the like. These areas have to improve and what worries me is I don't think shooting and rebounding will get a heck of a lot better so the other areas have to improve.

i think what we have seen so far sucks

its lowered my outlook for the team for this year

but I dont think that means they cannot still have a great season if they can somehow figure it out...there is talent on this squad.

I dont think they have even worked on offense yet, tbh

i think the defense will continue to get better and be really good at some point

the pieces are here even if the shooting is suspect.

im convinced a good coach could win with this roster...but its not as good as I thought it was during portal season...and no coach could win with these guys if they dont buy in 100%

I'm not as worried about the defense thing that will take time and have growing pains, but the fundamentals of it don't look great. We can be fine for a few possessions then everything starts to break down with guys not really looking like they know what they're doing. Instincts seem to be lacking or they just aren't drilled enough to know how to react.

The offense though, hoooo boy. What a mess. Sets, inbounds, fundamentals, everything is lacking. Part of it is talent and no shooting, but that's alsowhy we need a better structure and stronger team play in the halfcourt. This looks like JB's recent offenses, with less shooting and no Jesse.

Red did himself a disservice bringing back the forwards as is and unfortunately getting the McLeod major downgrade (not really his fault). We're going to struggle all year with shooting, scoring and rebounding at the 3-5 spots. Missing a guard that can shoot is also going to be a major issue.
The cohesiveness other teams in Maui play with is night and day compared to what we play will.

I’m skeptical about Westry too. He’s not going to fix our main offensive woe which is shooting.

I had so much hope for Bell and Taylor, but they really seem like they're not going to hit consistently - as long as that goes we're going to have prolonged droughts depending on the night, and that'll just up the pressure on Starling/Mintz to "take over" off the dribble.

I had so much hope for Bell and Taylor, but they really seem like they're not going to hit consistently - as long as that goes we're going to have prolonged droughts depending on the night, and that'll just up the pressure on Starling/Mintz to "take over" off the dribble.
The plus is they can only get better. I don’t think either of them fit an isolation offense. All these other teams are getting guys wide open looks and it’s difficult for us to find space anywhere. The pounding of the ball in the floor does our team no good. Pass the damn ball.

Great post.

Not bringing in a transfer forward is shaping up to be a HUGE mistake.

I'm surprised Taylor has mattered so little on offense. Starling and Mintz and can drive but they need to learn to pass and the other guys need to learn to move and get open.

Gonzaga got a ton of easy looks because they move the basketball.

I'm surprised Taylor has mattered so little on offense. Starling and Mintz and can drive but they need to learn to pass and the other guys need to learn to move and get open.

Taylor needs room to shoot. He is the #1 guy that should be on the receiving end of a drive and kick out for 3. He isn't quick enough to create his own shot without it being challenged by most athletic defenders.

Anyone expecting us not to be playing Chaminade today was kidding themselves. What is frustrating but also hopeful to me is that despite the weaknesses we know and despite even worse than expected shooting performances we were in both these last 2 games for 35 minutes. I saw a lot to be optimistic about. But those last 5 minutes of each game just sucked. Bad.
As someone else said the 5 games after Chaminade will tell us what we have to look forward to. No top 10 teams but 4 solid P6 opponents.

Great post.

Not bringing in a transfer forward is shaping up to be a HUGE mistake.
This is easy to say now, but a healthy Westry and bought in Benny were projected to be starters by most of the board. Counting on Benny may have been a mistake based on past transgressions, but more has been put on Bell and Taylor than anyone expected.

What offense?

We have to play some semblance of a competent college offense for him to have a role in it.

He's just a body in playground ball.

This is easy to say now, but a healthy Westry and bought in Benny were projected to be starters by most of the board. Counting on Benny may have been a mistake based on past transgressions, but more has been put on Bell and Taylor than anyone expected.

I don't disagree about Westry.

But it appears to have been a mistake to rely upon the Benny / Bell / Taylor triumvirate. Time will tell, and I'm not saying that those players can't be contributors. But top flight starters?

Or even reliable, in Benny's case?

Massive question marks.

I know what they need in the portal this off-season. Good shooting and rebounding.
When we have good shooting we say we need athleticism, when we have athleticism we say we need shooting.

Our only saving grace is that our best player hasn’t played yet and Benny is having so many brain cramps he’s totally screwed up Red’s starting lineup and rotations.
Until Westry does something at this level it’s a bit crazy calling him our best player, if he is our best player then we’re in worse trouble than I originally thought.

I don't view it as either-or. We need to recruit players who have both athleticism and skill.
Agreed but unfortunately we're stuck with the current roster. We have guys that if you squint fit that mold but need some assistance to get there. We generate too many low percentage shots and on too many possessions it feels like we're trying to get to the line rather than a clean look.

Early on yesterday JJ had a beautiful drive and cross court kick to Bell. Him and Judah have this skill set and need to utilize it more consistently. There were also a few instances of us needing to make the extra pass to get a wide open look but instead we had guys playing as individuals and rushing a shot.

It's these little things that come with time as we build cohesion and trust. It's not going to turn us into the Warriors but will generate better, more sustainable offense. You couple that with the intensity and heart we've shown at times and you've got a dangerous team no one wants to play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom