College Football Playoff doesn't need expansion – it needs reform | Syracusefan.com

College Football Playoff doesn't need expansion – it needs reform

One division and first place goes to the playoffs with a couple of additions if earned. It's a joke that any P5 conference winner is left out of a playoff. Pitt, Northwestern and all teams of that record shouldn't ever be playing in a game like a Conference Championship...just a dumb money grab.

One division and first place goes to the playoffs with a couple of additions if earned. It's a joke that any P5 conference winner is left out of a playoff. Pitt, Northwestern and all teams of that record shouldn't ever be playing in a game like a Conference Championship...just a dumb money grab.

It's beyond stupid. If the games Wetzel laid out were happening this weekend, how incredible would the tv viewing be. OSU at ND would be electric.

Makes way too much sense. That's why it won't happen until 3/4ths of the people on this board are dead.

$o, another in a $erie$ of article$ $aying the conference$ $hould get rid of their champion$hip game$. $omehow it $eem$ like $omeone el$e i$ thinking like $port$writer$ and a $mall number of fan$ and not like the P5 conference$' comi$$ioner$ and other official$ in $aying get rid of the champion$hip game$ and expand the playoff$. Thi$ concept i$ $illy and a non-$tarter.

The playoff$ will not be expanded because it mean$ having to take a G5 team. That i$ not happening voluntarily. The P5 will do anything and everything it can to keep the G5 exactly where they are now.

Last edited:
Well, it would mean the end of bowl games, which is a huge part of college football. His suggestion to eliminate divisions within the conferences so that there are balanced schedules won't work with the current conference alignment because there are too many teams, unless you want a 14- 16 game regular season, which isn't happening. Otherwise, you have to pare down to a reasonable number of teams across 8 conferences.
I believe the above has all been discussed a hundred times before, so this article is really just a rehash updated with current conference championships to make it seem like a new idea.

No need for major expansion of the playoffs.
A simple 6 team playoff like the NFL system is all that is needed.
6 team playoff.
1 and 2 get byes.
3 vs. 6
4 vs. 5
The week after conference title games on campus of the higher seed

1 vs. 4/5/6
2 vs. 3/4/5
Played in the NY6 bowls like now.

Winners the second Monday In January like now.

All P5 champions get in and then one at-large.
Make conference titles mean something and leave one slot for everyone else.

Well, it would mean the end of bowl games, which is a huge part of college football. His suggestion to eliminate divisions within the conferences so that there are balanced schedules won't work with the current conference alignment because there are too many teams, unless you want a 14- 16 game regular season, which isn't happening. Otherwise, you have to pare down to a reasonable number of teams across 8 conferences.
I believe the above has all been discussed a hundred times before, so this article is really just a rehash updated with current conference championships to make it seem like a new idea.

Ratings would go up if you went to a playoff instead of bowl games.

I like how he says the UCF game is meaningless this weekend.

So if UCF wins and Oklahoma, Georgia, and Ohio State all lost, that means Georgia gets in with 2 losses? Personally I think if you lose twice before the playoff, you're out.

I like how he says the UCF game is meaningless this weekend.

So if UCF wins and Oklahoma, Georgia, and Ohio State all lost, that means Georgia gets in with 2 losses? Personally I think if you lose twice before the playoff, you're out.
UCF game isn’t meaningless because if they lose they could drop below Utah State-Fresno State winner and lose the G5 NY6 bowl bid.
UCF had an outside chance at playoff if everyone lost if they still had their QB now with a backup no way the Committee would feed that layup to Alabama.
Also UCF only played 11 games because the UNC game was postponed.

UCF game isn’t meaningless because if they lose they could drop below Utah State-Fresno State winner and lose the G5 NY6 bowl bid.
UCF had an outside chance at playoff if everyone lost if they still had their QB now with a backup no way the Committee would feed that layup to Alabama.

I think the conference championship games are pointless. That's why I liked the article because it replaces them with round of the playoff. I think the bowl games can still co-exist outside 8 teams in a playoff. The market would demand it still.

I just think we're not getting more playoffs and keeping conf championships. How they get there, i'll leave it to smarter people but ultimately the consumer wants more playoffs (and most likely no championship games)

The QB injury is a silly argument to me. I get it. UCF isn't going to get in and yes 'Bama would steamroll them, but Ohio State got in when Barrett went down in 2014.

I just don't want a 2 loss team in the playoff. Georgia losing to Bama this weekend, but still possibly having a chance to win the championship is stupid

The QB injury is a silly argument to me. I get it. UCF isn't going to get in and yes 'Bama would steamroll them, but Ohio State got in when Barrett went down in 2014.

I just don't want a 2 loss team in the playoff. Georgia losing to Bama this weekend, but still possibly having a chance to win the championship is stupid
Ohio State got in because the committee used the rules to figure out a way to get them and it was TCU-Baylor didn’t play a 13th game and Ohio State steamrolled Wisconsin 59-7.
Then the next year they spun the rules conference titles don’t matter to benefit Ohio State.

If last year’s UCF was playing this year and they played a tougher nonconference schedule they could have been in the argument with Oklahoma and Ohio State.
Them losing their all-conference QB matters a lot. They wouldn’t even be close to the same level team as the rest of their talent wasn’t what Ohio State had with Zeke Elliott, Michael Thomas, Marshon Lattimore, Eli Apple and tons of NFL talent.

UCF could fall below the MW winner because of that injury if they get destroyed.

Bowl Games = NIT

If ESPN and Fox are worried about inventory after an expanded 16 team playoff, create a second tier tournament of 32 teams that allows teams to play each other. Give the 2nd tier tournament sites bowl names and a sponsor. Teams in 2nd tier tourney get extra practice time.

I'd happily lose a regular season game vs a FCS opponent and a conference championship game for that.

I think the conference championship games are pointless. That's why I liked the article because it replaces them with round of the playoff. I think the bowl games can still co-exist outside 8 teams in a playoff. The market would demand it still.

I just think we're not getting more playoffs and keeping conf championships. How they get there, i'll leave it to smarter people but ultimately the consumer wants more playoffs (and most likely no championship games)
Conference title games make the conferences money. Corporate sponsors, TV rights, ticket sales.
They don’t split this money.

An expanded playoff to 8 is the limit and likely won’t happen unless conferences keep getting shut out of the 4 team playoff. If you want expansion root for Georgia to beat Alabama.
As then it would be 2 SEC teams, 1 ACC and Notre Dame.
3 of 5 conferences would be shut out and that would include the Big Ten Champions 3 years in a row.

Bowl Games = NIT

If ESPN and Fox are worried about inventory after an expanded 16 team playoff, create a second tier tournament of 32 teams that allows teams to play each other. Give the 2nd tier tournament sites bowl names and a sponsor. Teams in 2nd tier tourney get extra practice time.

I'd happily lose a regular season game vs a FCS opponent and a conference championship game for that.
Bowl games may be the NIT but they get higher ratings NBA playoff games or any MLB regular season game.
TV wants eyeballs. Football gets eyes that is why they won’t go anywhere.

The Potato Bowl in Boise will get a higher rating than any Christmas NBA game.

Bowl games may be the NIT but they get higher ratings NBA playoff games or any MLB regular season game.
TV wants eyeballs. Football gets eyes that is why they won’t go anywhere.

The Potato Bowl in Boise will get a higher rating than any Christmas NBA game.

Agreed. But what if they were repackaged as a 2nd tier tournament?

No need for major expansion of the playoffs.
A simple 6 team playoff like the NFL system is all that is needed.
6 team playoff.
1 and 2 get byes.
3 vs. 6
4 vs. 5
The week after conference title games on campus of the higher seed

1 vs. 4/5/6
2 vs. 3/4/5
Played in the NY6 bowls like now.

Winners the second Monday In January like now.

All P5 champions get in and then one at-large.
Make conference titles mean something and leave one slot for everyone else.

Agree except the ending. They should only get in if they are Top 10. Pitt, Northwestern, and Utah shouldn’t get in with a win.

That makes way too much sense.
... to fans, broadcasters, and sportswriters, but not to anyone with a fiduciary duty to a conference or an athletic department.

What is the SEC's share from the ACC Championship game?
What is the ACC's share from the B1G Championship Game?
What is the B1G's share from the Pac-12's Championship Game?
What is the Pac-12's share from the Big XII's Championship Game?
What is the Big XII's share from the SEC Championship Game?
What is any G5 conference's share from any of these games?

The answer to all these questions is $0.00

the article, of course, is not an argument against an 8 team playoff. it's an argument against conference championship games. If you are going to have conferences of more than 9 teams, you need divisions and championship games. it would hardly be problematic to expand to 8 given that Division III, where they are actual full-time college students, that have a 32 team playoff.

Since the writer's poll began in 1936, there have been 92 teams a claimed as national champion by the writers, the coaches, the BCS or the playoffs. 88 of them have either won all their games or all their games but one. of the other four, three had a loss and a tie and today the ties would have been resolved in overtime. the 2007 LSU team is the only team to be recognized as national champion with 2 losses. (The 1960 Minnesota team was recognized as national champion by both polls with n 8-1-0 record. In those days, there was no poll after the bowls. The Gophers lost their bowl games and a would not have been voted #1 with an 8-2-0 record. the team that beat them, 10-1-0 Washington or #2 ranked Mississippi who won their bowl game to 10-0-1 or Missouri who won their game to go 10-1-0 and later had their one looss forfeited to them to make them 11-0-0 would have been #1).

Thus, our operative definition of a national champion is a team that won all its games or all but one of it's games. obviously, they need to play a strong enough schedule to be considered a legitimate national title contender, (Central Florida's problem and in the past Boise State's and Tulane's and Marshall's, etc.). That implies it should be a power conference level team, (which would include Notre Dame). Therefore a power-conference level team that has won all it's games or all it's games but one is a national championship contender and should be in the playoff. Four teams is not enough to assure that.

I don't like byes. I think each team should have to the same number of games to win the championship. So I'm a 2-4-8-16 guy. That to me means an 8 team playoff. I don't see a need for 16 teams unless you want to give an automatic bid to every FBS conference champion. Frankly, I think the non-power conference teams should be in a Division II with the FCS teams, (many of them were FCS teams). Then put the current Division II and Division II and the NAIA teams in a new Division III. That's not going to happen so i'm happy with the idea that the best of the non-power conference teams should be in the playoff.

So i go with the idea of an 8 team playoff with automatic bids to the five power conference champions, as determined by the conference championship games, another automatic bid to the highest ranked non-power conference team, (and I would not include Notre Dame - that might get the Irish to finally join for football, too), plus two at large teams.

if the favorites win all the conference championships, that would be:

13-0-0 Alabama, the SEC champ, ranked #1
13-0-0 Clemson, the ACC champ, ranked #2
12-0-0 Notre Dame as an at large, ranked #3
12-1-0 Oklahoma as the Big 12 champion, currently ranked #5
12-1-0 Ohio State as the Big 10 champion currently ranked #6
11-2-0 Georgia as an at-large currently ranked #4 but they will have lost to Alabama
12-0-0 Central Florida as the mid-major, currently ranked #7
10-3-0 Washington as the PAC 12 champion, currently ranked #10/#11

The highest ranked team left out would be 10-2-0 Michigan, currently ranked #8. They were displaced by Washington, not Central Florida. I'd have the first two round in early December at the home field of the higher ranked team and the championship in one of a small group of major bowls on a rotating basis. the teams that didn't make the championship game could still play in one of the other bowl games to give them a chance to end their season on a positive note.

I'll be the contrarian here. I like the 4 team playoff as is. The worst P5 conference (this year the PAC 12) gets left out. What team from that conference deserves to be in? This forces the P5 teams to improve their SOS. If there is any expansion, go to 6 teams. The top 2 get a bye and the 5 and 6 teams are the best available (may or may not include a 5th P5 champion. 5 and 6 may or may not include a G5 team. I don't care... 'em.

Top 8 would be so much fun. And it'd bring half the country back into play. The ratings are going to wither this year if it's Clem, Bama, GA and Okie.

8 is great for college football.

People west of the Mississippi (other than CFB nuts like me) aren't going to watch this year. And they didn't watch last year.

Top 8 would be so much fun. And it'd bring half the country back into play. The ratings are going to wither this year if it's Clem, Bama, GA and Okie.

8 is great for college football.

People west of the Mississippi (other than CFB nuts like me) aren't going to watch this year. And they didn't watch last year.
Clem, Bama, GA, and Okie ?

I'd love to hear your scenario for this weekend that leaves out ND.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom