College football still feels rigged | Syracusefan.com

College football still feels rigged

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
I’ve been told the regular season is a playoff in itself, but is it really if Alabama makes the playoff without winning its conference?

UCF beating Auburn shows the best of the non P5 schools can compete with the P5. I don’t want to hear they should have a stronger schedule strength because there’s no way the Sabans/Swinney’s of the coaching landscape are going to play the best non P5 teams and take a chance they might lose.

They need to go to an 8 team playoff or people are going to continue to cry politics.

It is rigged.
Utah was invited into the PAC-12 to stop Orrin Hatch and Congress from intervening.
CFB is atleast played a high level unlike CBB.
The problem is the rules aren’t even.

8 team playoff is fine but they should reduce the season to 11 games.
These kids aren’t paid and 15-16 game seasons aren’t acceptable if they went to 8 game.

FCS does 11 game season and 24 team playoff.

It was garbage when Alabama beat LSU for a championship after not making their conference championship, and it's going to be garbage if they win one again this season after not making their conference championship.

That was the problem with the playoff. The calls for it to be ever expanding will never end. There’s subjectivity at 4-5 just as there is at 68-69. You can’t have a system that works with a segregated p5/nonp5 groupings that are not equal. If the p5s want to break away fine. But the nonp5s are not a part of the calculation (except for ND that has its own rules).

That was the problem with the playoff. The calls for it to be ever expanding will never end. There’s subjectivity at 4-5 just as there is at 68-69. You can’t have a system that works with a segregated p5/nonp5 groupings that are not equal. If the p5s want to break away fine. But the nonp5s are not a part of the calculation (except for ND that has its own rules).

There’s a difference. Conference champions get auto bids in basketball. College football is entirely subjective. Apples to oranges.

I’ve been told the regular season is a playoff in itself, but is it really if Alabama makes the playoff without winning its conference?

UCF beating Auburn shows the best of the non P5 schools can compete with the P5. I don’t want to hear they should have a stronger schedule strength because there’s no way the Sabans/Swinney’s of the coaching landscape are going to play the best non P5 teams and take a chance they might lose.

They need to go to an 8 team playoff or people are going to continue to cry politics.

It's not an 8-team solution that will put this to rest. The bottom line is that the statement "if you are a D1 school and win every game, you are the champion" needs to be set up so it can be true.

They should have 10 automatic bids from conference winners (and each conference can determine how they crown its own champion) and 2 at-large. 12 Total. Top 4 teams get a bye.

That way if you commit to the demands of having a D1 program *any team* can win it all if you win every game.

It also makes the regular season important again because you have to position yourself to either be a conference champion or one of the absolute best teams.

it also lets the little guy in, but rewards the actual top four teams with a bye.

There’s a difference. Conference champions get auto bids in basketball. College football is entirely subjective. Apples to oranges.
Yeah maybe but the argument is still on the margins...we are talking about a non conf champ. I hate the cfp as it is

It is rigged.
Utah was invited into the PAC-12 to stop Orrin Hatch and Congress from intervening.
CFB is atleast played a high level unlike CBB.
The problem is the rules aren’t even.

8 team playoff is fine but they should reduce the season to 11 games.
These kids aren’t paid and 15-16 game seasons aren’t acceptable if they went to 8 game.

FCS does 11 game season and 24 team playoff.

Why is 14 acceptable but not 15. Why is 15 the magic cutoff number?

I don't care how many teams they allow into the playoffs, there is always going to be the next handful of teams that feel they should be in, and they all usually have a compelling argument. Hell, the NCAA tourney expanded to 64, and teams 65-70 complain, and make good cases for why they should be in. They expanded to 68, and now teams 69-73 get to complain.

Why is 14 acceptable but not 15. Why is 15 the magic cutoff number?
14 is too many.
If they want to expand the playoff reduce the regular season by 1 game.
Or pay the playoff team players real money.

I don't care how many teams they allow into the playoffs, there is always going to be the next handful of teams that feel they should be in, and they all usually have a compelling argument. Hell, the NCAA tourney expanded to 64, and teams 65-70 complain, and make good cases for why they should be in. They expanded to 68, and now teams 69-73 get to complain.

The issue I have is the selection for the playoff is entirely subjective and arbitrary based on school name. The Ohio States or Alabamas will always get the benefit of doubt because of their name. It’s kind of like Duke always getting a 1 or 2 seed in basketball even if they have 7 or 8 losses. The difference there is the conference champions get in.

I'm on the opposite side from the OP on this one. When I was younger I preferred college basketball to the NBA and the NFL to college football but now I've reversed completely and prefer college football and NBA basketball. I would love an 8 game playoff but it's hard to argue with any team that has won the championship during the playoff era. I do agree that it stinks for non-P5 schools like UCF this year but they're an outlier and Auburn is a much better matchup for them than any of the Final 4 teams would've been (except maybe Clemson).

14 is too many.
If they want to expand the playoff reduce the regular season by 1 game.
Or pay the playoff team players real money.

Not exactly my point. How did you decide that whatever number is the right number IS the right number? D1 used to play 10 games plus a bowl. Maybe that's the right number.

I just hope they gave the student athletes ample time off to focus on finals and their academics. Listening to Herbstreit tell us how much time and dedication each team gave starting last winter, I said to myself "and he hasn't even mentioned classwork".

Not exactly my point. How did you decide that whatever number is the right number IS the right number? D1 used to play 10 games plus a bowl. Maybe that's the right number.
12 regular season is an okay number if the playoff is 4 teams.
If they want to expand the playoffs then reduce the regular season by 1 game is my point.

12 regular season is an okay number if the playoff is 4 teams.
If they want to expand the playoffs then reduce the regular season by 1 game is my point.

OK, I'm going to be that guy. You said 15-16 is too much. Current system allows for 15 games (12 + conference champ game + 2 playoff games). Is that too much or just right?

OK, I'm going to be that guy. You said 15-16 is too much. Current system allows for 15 games (12 + conference champ game + 2 playoff games). Is that too much or just right?
15 for 2 teams is a lot.
However I am okay with just 2 teams playing 15.
I don’t want to see more than just 2 play 15.
If they expand to 8.
You see more teams playing that many.
If they reduced the regular season to 11 games.
12 teams would play the Championship game.
8 team playoff.
That means just 2 teams play 15 games.

Cut out the BS games vs DIVAA (or whatever they are) schools. There is no point for Alabama playing Wofford.

I think 4 teams is fine. It makes the regular seasons games so much more meaningful.

People will complain about the field not being large enough to whatever size they make it to be.

The P5 doesn't want any non-P5 team to participate, period. They will not expand the playoff to 8 teams until the P5 leaves the NCAA, so any discussion of an expansion of the playoff is a total waste of time. Conference champions get an autobid to the basketball playoffs because they are an NCAA championship and fairness is a requirement. D-1A football is not an NCAA championship sport so The Other Golden Rule applies and the P5 has the gold.

Cut out the BS games vs DIVAA (or whatever they are) schools. There is no point for Alabama playing Wofford.

I think 4 teams is fine. It makes the regular seasons games so much more meaningful.

People will complain about the field not being large enough to whatever size they make it to be.

There's a big reason for Troy to play LSU though

It was garbage when Alabama beat LSU for a championship after not making their conference championship, and it's going to be garbage if they win one again this season after not making their conference championship.

To each their own, but I personally don't care if a non-conference champion is in the playoff. I just want the best teams, and if it's multiple teams from the same conference, so be it. If Bama blows out Clemson and then goes and defeats Georgia, they earned their title.

Bama completely dismantled LSU in that 2011 title game. LSU had less than 100 yards and didn't cross midfield.