College hoops: 7th most popular US sport | Syracusefan.com

College hoops: 7th most popular US sport

Im shocked MLB is more popular than college football. Also shocked how high NASCAR is on the list.

I'm surprised that mlb is second. I thought it would of been the NBA. I also through CBB would be higher than hockey. Wonder what the scientifics of the poll are.

These polls seem useless to me since it only lists what people's favorite sport is, not necessarily what sports they are fans of. I mean in March, college basketball gets much more run than even the stanley cup finals...right?

I bet college hoops is in the top 3 of many people, but the only places I think it would be #1 are in Kentucky, potentially certain parts of Kansas and certain parts of North Carolina.

I mean in March, college basketball gets much more run than even the stanley cup finals...right?

Without question - but in terms of sheer numbers of people, you are going to have more people in the NYC, Chicago, Boston, Philly, Detroit areas, etc. that are going to like their respective NHL team more than whatever the local college basketball team is (St Johns, Depaul, BC, Temple, etc.)

This poll seems wacked.

Like eao said not too many will list CBB as their favorite sport but many would have it in their top 3.

Also, NASCAR and MLB are the two sports where the fan base may not be as big into the NFL as say, the NBA which is probably a #2 to a lot of people who list NFL as their favorite.

MLB declines year after year and for good reason its a slow game which drags out a slow season. Hard to watch if you don't have a team to root for.

I'll bet that CFB over takes it in the next year or so, especially with the playoffs coming.

Do they still call baseball "America's Pastime"? It surely isn't.

DomeStranger said:
MLB declines year after year and for good reason its a slow game which drags out a slow season. Hard to watch if you don't have a team to root for. I'll bet that CFB over takes it in the next year or so, especially with the playoffs coming. Do they still call baseball "America's Pastime"? It surely isn't.

Opinions differentiate. Huge baseball fan here.

Yup lots of people underestimate the popularity of MLB. I think NFL popularity will slowly decline over the next decade or so.

Me...MLB..college basketball tied for first..then college football.

I bet college hoops is in the top 3 of many people, but the only places I think it would be #1 are in Kentucky, potentially certain parts of Kansas and certain parts of North Carolina.

In Kentucky, horse racing and college hoops are about tied at the top. Nothing else even comes close.

Opinions differentiate. Huge baseball fan here.

Understood. But you are a sports junkie, lol. Baseball is a great fix for junkies, you get a game damn near every night of the week.

However the majority of the people of there don't want to spend 20 hours a week watching "their team".

DomeStranger said:
Understood. But you are a sports junkie, lol. Baseball is a great fix for junkies, you get a game damn near every night of the week. However the majority of the people of there don't want to spend 20 hours a week watching "their team".

True. Summertime is the best time of year. Ballgames, golf. Live for it

longislandcuse said:
This poll seems wacked. Like eao said not too many will list CBB as their favorite sport but many would have it in their top 3. Also, NASCAR and MLB are the two sports where the fan base may not be as big into the NFL as say, the NBA which is probably a #2 to a lot of people who list NFL as their favorite.

Besides not ranking all sports or at least a top five, it also doesn't include anyone under 18 who are skewing away from baseball. Would be willing to bet that this poll shows MLB in fourth, at best, in a few more years.

Marsh01 said:
True. Summertime is the best time of year. Ballgames, golf. Live for it

Used to never miss a Mets game and now barely catch any games. Used to love it. Miss it sometimes.

I think the reason the NFL is so absurdly popular is because it always leaves you wanting more. Short 4-month season, a week between games, and then you have that long stretch from February to August before the preseason starts. No one ever says, "ugh, the dog days of November, I wish the season would end already."

Whereas MLB, NBA and NHL just inundate you with games.

MikeSU02 said:
Used to never miss a Mets game and now barely catch any games. Used to love it. Miss it sometimes.

Born and bred a yankees fan and i never lost the passion

The interesting thing to me is that a poll like this 50 years ago would have had boxing and horse racing in the top 5...now they are clearly fringe sports.

For me - I can watch the Mets, Devils, Knicks...don't really watch anything in those sports if my team isn't playing. NFL, college football and hoops - if I game is on & I'm looking for something to do I'll watch it. I enjoyed NASCAR before the car of tomorrow and the cheesy championship format was instituted - prolly haven't watched a race in 5 years. Prolly 20 years since I watched a boxing match or a horse race (outside of going to Saratoga, & that's really more for the "scene" than the races).

MikeSU02 said:

I now watch Mets games this way: DVR it, then skip the Mets on the field, and stop the DVR and watch the game as soon as a Met gets on the bases. It cuts a 3+ hour game down considerably. I do miss hearing the announcers, but it's just too long. but when they have Ralph Kiner on I listen to every word that man utters. Hope he's healthy enough this season to come on.

NHL is on the list?

I honestly couldnt tell you when their season starts/ends

Everyone knows "Baseball guy"...guy who watched all 162 games of his team, knows the whole double A minor league roster, etc.
That's the 14%. Doesn't surprise me when the question is stated "what is your favorite sport"

As far is it really #2? It's not. CFB and NBA are bigger.

This poll seems wacked.

Like eao said not too many will list CBB as their favorite sport but many would have it in their top 3.

Also, NASCAR and MLB are the two sports where the fan base may not be as big into the NFL as say, the NBA which is probably a #2 to a lot of people who list NFL as their favorite.

Yeah that makes sense. 5% of USA may call hockey favorite sport - but the other 95% cant name more than 5 players.

NHL is on the list?

I honestly couldnt tell you when their season starts/ends
thats how you can tell this is a total bs poll-hockey rated higher my azz:rolling:

Favorite is a silly way of gauging total interest in a sport. Here's your real list, you just have to trust me on its accuracy...

NFL

College Football
MLB
NBA

College Basketball

Everything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics