Column: Leaving Big East a Disaster for Syracuse (and others) | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Column: Leaving Big East a Disaster for Syracuse (and others)

I get why UConn fans are looking forward to it. But they’re delusional if they think it’ll be like it was in the 2000s
From 2005-2013 starting from the 1-8 QF it was amazing electric.
St. John’s playing Creighton in the 1-8 game the place was dead.

We now have no rivals in basketball... We are just another team. We no longer even have strength in our own backyard. Truth is that our best days are behind us.
2013 Big East coaches:

Rick Pitino
JT3
Buzz Williams
Jamie Dixon
Jim Boeheim
Mike Brey
Jay Wright
Mick Cronin
Steve Lavin

Big East coaches now:
Jay Wright
The list is of similar quality from 1981-2013...maybe even better early on when you include the likes of Louie and PJ and Calhoun and Rollie and Gary Williams and Dr. Tom Davis and some other guy whose name shall not be mentioned.

Including 2016, there have been about 38 top 50 kids from the NY/NJ/New England/PA region and Syracuse has signed 1, Tyus Battle in 2016. After 2016, recruiting dropped off with Benny Williams the first top 50 recruit signed by Syracuse since Battle. Even the class of 2017, which Hop was involved with, did not go well. There were 5 NY kids who were top 50 recruits, 4 were offered by Syracuse and none of them signed. And, there were 4 other top 50 kids in the region, 2 were offered and none signed. Clearly, something has changed.

I'm sure having a 76 year old coach, losing Hop, and having a recent mediocre record have negatively impacted recruiting, but I do think you need to add moving from the BE has also had a negative impact. One of the main reasons that the BE was formed was to keep the local talent home to play in a top league and it worked. Syracuse had to move to the ACC, but maybe there is a negative impact on basketball.

the original big east churned a little . georgetown, prov , SU , st. john's, uconn,seton hall,nova,bc.pitt ,etc. all took a turn at the top . ACC is top heavy and we're mired in the middle. no championships in sight.

Last edited:
You eat pieces of shiz for breakfast?
109BA92A-9C19-45A2-9573-FFF80A6192C9.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors