Committee to release their 1-68 ranking for the 1st time | Syracusefan.com

Committee to release their 1-68 ranking for the 1st time

I heard this mentioned on McManus' and Infanti's show the other day. So now we will officially know who was the last team invited after taking away the auto bids.

though people would probably rather see 69-87

it will make it more clear how bracket rules affect seeding from those rankings though

They are going to get a huge new criticism: Team A being ranked higher than Team B, but yet seeded worse than Team B due to all of the factors that go into it, or being seeded better but getting a worse travel set up and complaining about that.

The bracket is such a puzzle to put together (travel both at the regional and opening weekend level, not having conference teams play until final 8, good distribution across the regions), that the 1-68 rankings end up only one part of the equation. If a team gets a bad draw, knowing that at least they were ranked higher than someone else might make more arguments, not less.

They are going to get a huge new criticism: Team A being ranked higher than Team B, but yet seeded worse than Team B due to all of the factors that go into it, or being seeded better but getting a worse travel set up and complaining about that.

The bracket is such a puzzle to put together (travel both at the regional and opening weekend level, not having conference teams play until final 8, good distribution across the regions), that the 1-68 rankings end up only one part of the equation. If a team gets a bad draw, knowing that at least they were ranked higher than someone else might make more arguments, not less.
They will always get criticized, but I think this is a good step, and I am think now as the rules are more known people will understand 'hey we went up or down a seed line because of a conference opponent or someone we already played...'

If we had 68 teams going since 1971...we would only have had one NIT team (1981-82) in those 40 years.

I want video of the war room with audio so we can actually hear the discussions.

Now that would be outstanding.

Sent from my DROIDX

I want video of the war room with audio so we can actually hear the discussions.

I'm pretty sure it would look like this

poker.jpg

Committee is known for great handshakes. I want more of them.

All I can picture is the scene in Spies Like us at the end where thy are supposed to be solving the worlds problems and they are playing trivial pursuit.

would have liked to se this last year to see how the 11 big east teams affected the seedings

So, just so I'm clear, they will show the 1-68 rankings, but they aren't likely to correspond with the seedings, due to the moves they have to make?

I love this.

Wish they did this in 2010. I would have loved for them to justify the ridiculously easy road they gave Duke, the #3 overall seed. Here was their joke of an S curve:
Kentucky Kansas Duke Syracuse
West Virginia Ohio St. Villanova Kansas St.
New Mexico G'town Baylor Pittsburgh
Wisconsin Maryland Purdue Vanderbilt

Anyone remember how Nova finished 2010? No freaking way they were the overall #6 in the country.

So, just so I'm clear, they will show the 1-68 rankings, but they aren't likely to correspond with the seedings, due to the moves they have to make?

I love this.
exactly

This will really show how lazy the committee was in 2011. All they had to do was move Marquette up one spot to #10 and Cincinnati up/down one spot to either #5/#7 and you don't have Big East matchups until the sweet 16. Also they needed to put one of the four teams they put into the East into either the West or Southeast, which only had 2 Big East teams.

this year for the first time certain colleges who try to log onto the selection committees FACEBOOK page at 7:00 sunday will suddenly find their status updated as "unfriended" or SOL.

The biggest x-factor is the rule about the top-3 teams in each league being in separate divisions. With 7-8 conferences likely to avail themselves of that privilege, that creates far more disruption than other conflicts like trying to prevent rematches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom