Complaining about an ugly win over Georgia Tech... | Syracusefan.com

Complaining about an ugly win over Georgia Tech...

runningorange

Walk On
After reading the threads I understand why people are upset. We played poorly, could have lost, and demonstrated a lot of room for improvement in key areas.

Here are a few things that should be considered:

1. People say Georgia Tech is bad, but how many teams in the ACC are better? Excluding Syracuse I will say Duke, UVA, Louisville, Notre Dame (although GT did take them to double OT), UNC (although would it shock anyone if GT beat them?), and potentially NC State and Miami.

I would say that GT is equivalent or better than the following teams: VT, BC, Pitt, FSU, Clemson, WF, and pretty close to NC State and Miami.

Any conference road win is a good win, and GT seems like a middle of the pack ACC team to me.

2. Our defense will be good enough to keep us in almost every game. We will see a lot of 50/50 type games in conference play. Last night was one of them, and it was nice to get the win on the road. Our offense has been poor enough so that we will have very few comfortable wins.

3. We are upset because this team is far inferior to the teams we have grown accustomed to watching the past 6-7 years. However, college basketball as a whole is far inferior to what it was in the past. Aside from UK, Duke and maybe 2-3 other teams who would we be afraid to play on a neutral court? I'm not saying we would beat all the other teams on a neutral court, but we would at least have a puncher's chance. Just win enough to get to the NCAAs and we will have that.

4. All elite teams go through down years (except for possibly Duke). UK and UNC both have recent NIT seasons, MSU is on our level this year, Zona recently went to the NIT, Florida is worse than us this year, etc, etc. I'm not saying we are on the same level as all of those teams, but if this is the floor of what we can expect to field as a team, we should be excited about the future.

5. Duke was losing late to Wake (who is worse than GT), Louisville struggled with Clemson at home (who is worse than GT), UVA was losing to Rutgers at the half earlier this year, ND struggled as much as we did against GT (at home). Let's be happy w/2 road wins to start the year and stop expecting perfection. We are unlikely to see perfection or anything close to it with this team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom