Completely Unimpressed | Syracusefan.com

Completely Unimpressed

SkanSU

Starter
This isn't about SU, first. I have been watching the marathon and the games on TV with special emphasis on the Big East Teams. Notre Dame looked horrible ... St. Johns has been less than impressive ... Watching WVU ...just terrible!! and on and on. Which brings me to this thought:

The Big East is overrated and we should be more than glad to be moving to the ACC... altho they have been less than impressive in the early part of this season. But the Big East seems to be turning into a conference of "haves" and "have nots" and it seems that the conference is certainly tieredin that regard;

Syracuse, UConn, L'ville, and Pitt - clearly always at the top
Cincy and Marquette - good but definitely 2nd tier
All the rest including Villanova, ND, and WVU and G'Town - all are falling farther and farther from the top echelon of the Big East.

And the pundits are saying we will get 8-11 in the NCAA's? That's why the Big East is embarrassed every year ... all of the "all the rest" teams have had their time in the spotlight but none are as consistent as the top echelon. Especially from what I have been watching this year so far.

I think WVU is in for a long up and down season.

Notre Dame is without Abro so its hard to judge but they have a lot of guys playing who didn't play last season.

St. Johns is going to get hammered in BE play. Just way too young.

I think that we will see a big separation this season in the BE with SU, Uconn, Pitt and Lville being much better than the rest.

No one has looked that impressive yet to me and I've watched Uconn, Duke, UNC and a handful or others.
Vandy looked vastly over rated. They were missing their best big but they are suppossed to have one of the best back courts around this season and I was not impressed with them.

Looking forward to seeing UK, KU, Lville, Memphis and Florida today.

This isn't about SU, first. I have been watching the marathon and the games on TV with special emphasis on the Big East Teams. Notre Dame looked horrible ... St. Johns has been less than impressive ... Watching WVU ...just terrible!! and on and on. Which brings me to this thought:

The Big East is overrated and we should be more than glad to be moving to the ACC... altho they have been less than impressive in the early part of this season. But the Big East seems to be turning into a conference of "haves" and "have nots" and it seems that the conference is certainly tieredin that regard;

All the rest including Villanova, ND, and WVU and G'Town - all are falling farther and farther from the top echelon of the Big East.

And the pundits are saying we will get 8-11 in the NCAA's? That's why the Big East is embarrassed every year ... all of the "all the rest" teams have had their time in the spotlight but none are as consistent as the top echelon. Especially from what I have been watching this year so far.

Keep in mind a few things:

ND is playing without Abromaitus right now who is serving a 4 game suspension. With him they are much better.

St.Johns lost 10 guys last season and are VERY young. Cant expect them
to be very competitive especially since they have a couple of recruits who didnt qualify.

Keep the faith...the conference will put 8 teams in.

I'm not going to say the ACC sucks, but they do below UNC and Duke. It is going to be a crazy 4-team race in the ACC every year.

It's mid-November, hasty and short-sighted to be drawing any conclusions right now.

Your analysis doesn't make much sense. Nova, Gtown and WV have all been to Final 4's in the last 5 years, which is more recent than Cuse or Louisville has been there and one more appearance than Pitt has ever had (at least in modern times).

The Big East did have an embarrassing showing in last year's tournament though UCon did win it all, which was an exception all around as the league has consistently done well in the tournament in years past but failed to produce a national champ. Can you explain how the Big East is "embarrassed every year"?

I will say this, watching Memphis Belmont its and seeing the problems Belmont is having with an athletic front line it seems that Duke's front line is not all that impossing and athletic.

Its going to be very interesting to see how Duke fares against MSU's front line.

The great thing about college basketball is that teams are given the opportunity to stumble early and grow into the year. It's so fun to watch teams develop and get better, and sometimes worse, over the course of a season. You don't get that with football because once you lose you're pretty much out of it, so a team getting better over the course of a season is meaningless in the long run.
And in saying this, you can't take much away from mid November games.

I will say this, watching Memphis Belmont its and seeing the problems Belmont is having with an athletic front line it seems that Duke's front line is not all that impossing and athletic.

Its going to be very interesting to see how Duke fares against MSU's front line.
Yes, NC wasn't all that impressive against MSU and I think they (NC) are supposed to be a step above Duke ... does Duke have the shooters they typically have?

I'm not going to say the ACC sucks, but they do below UNC and Duke. It is going to be a crazy 4-team race in the ACC every year.

Got that right, though these things are often cyclical and at some point the rest of the ACC will get better (it has to, right? can't get much worse). I saw the term "haves and have nots" used to describe the Big East in the OP but it really describes the 12 team era of the ACC rather well. I mean, in 6 years that league has had all of two appearances in the Sweet 16 by teams not named UNC or Duke, that's mid-major territory.

Yes, NC wasn't all that impressive against MSU and I think they (NC) are supposed to be a step above Duke ... does Duke have the shooters they typically have?

They have Dawkins and Curry who are shooters and Rivers is suppossed to be a good shooter.

...ACC will be like the BE...4-5 teams really good and the others not so much but every once in a while those other teams win a big game that carries their season

Charles Barkley, is that you? haha just kidding. I get what you're saying, but not everyone in the conference can be elite. Teams like Nova, ND, etc. will have to battle all season for a decent seed in the tournament and I'm sure there will be surprising developments as the season goes on. The thing about the BE, is that we have a lot of those teams that are below elite but will scare the crap out of teams all year. Other conferences like the ACC, SEC, etc. don't have that depth throughout their conference.

lol, I saw this subject line and was like, oh dear, someone found something big to complain about from last night...

Marquette smacked us in the tourny last year. I think we may want to take them a bit more seriously..

I know I shouldn't feel this way because we are still in the Big East and the success of the other schools against OOC opponents has a direct effect on us, but I really just can't root for any of the other teams in the conference. Watching ND last night was like watching a team from the Mountain West or something. I found myself rooting for the underdog, just like I do when I watch any game where a team I follow is not involved.

What don't you like about Nova, their MickyD All-Americans or their 1st round picks? Nova is excellent this year.

St. Johns is a quality team too, pretty amazing what they have done with a blank slate.

It doesn't seem like you are all that familiar with who is on these teams.

WVU fell to Kent State today. Not as bad as it sounds when you look up Kent State's recent success and consider the ridiculous 10 a.m. start. But they still lack players with a lot of basketball skill. Kevin Jones is a garbage player that can rebound and cause headaches and the big Turk has some touch around the hoop, but they are not a real talented bunch. They'll defend of course but I don't think they're a tourney team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom