Composers that influence | Syracusefan.com

Composers that influence

CaliCuse

All American
I'm not thinking Mozart or Bach. My two favorites are a bit more recent historically. One is iconic in that his music brings instant images to mind and the other is hypnotically soothing and full of grace of jazz in its infant stages. To me he is the greatest of them all. The iconic man we all recognize as John Williams. the other is George Gershwin. Music to me is as therapeutic as laughter and Gershwin was a master. By any set of standards.Anyone not really familiar with his compositions I urge you to U-Tube his best and prepare yourself for sounds that inspire your ability to relax and think. I say this seriously and not a joke in any way. I'm a bit sad that I didn't discover his "American in Paris" when playing my trumpet would allow me to play the big trumpet solo which I assure you I could do in my time with that brass attached to my lips.btw RHAPSODY IN BLUE IS THE QUINTESSENTIAL GEORGE GERSHWIN contribution to the world if you aren't already aware of this. Sorry for the caps

I wouldn't feel right without mentioning John Coltrane.
He is Bebop.
He is New York City and that drive over the 59th street bridge. Even though he wasn't born here, he lit this place up many nights.

I wouldn't feel right without mentioning John Coltrane.
He is Bebop.
He is New York City and that drive over the 59th street bridge. Even though he wasn't born here, he lit this place up many nights.
Inall honesty I'm not that familiar with his work although i do know many feel as you do. In that case i'm all in on that and need to aquaint myself with his style.Something else learned. I'm loving this.:eek:

Inall honesty I'm not that familiar with his work although i do know many feel as you do. In that case i'm all in on that and need to aquaint myself with his style.Something else learned. I'm loving this.:eek:
Likewise. Now listening to Rhapsody in Blue (Gershwin) and some of Williams' best. Great thread :)

Had to post one of his more popular recordings used in television, commercials, film often.
Not that the exposure takes anything away from the song. It's just beautiful. Name the emotion. It comes out in the melody.
Then again, most jazz does that!

Had to post one of his more popular recordings used in television, commercials, film often.
Not that the exposure takes anything away from the song. It's just beautiful. Name the emotion. It comes out in the melody.
Then again, most jazz does that!
I idn't know this was his work. I like it alot. if you learn something new every day,its a good day. Today is a good day.Thanks.:cool:

I idn't know this was his work. I like it alot. if you learn something new every day,its a good day. Today is a good day.Thanks.:cool:
You got it, man. And thank you. I feel the same way about John Williams and George Gershwin.
Although I knew both, until I listened tonight, I didn't put song title together with artist.
Always very hard with jazz and other genre without vocals.

To this day although I love Monk, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Charlie Parker and other jazz greats, I still have trouble connecting title to melody...but the melodies. I won't forget them. :)

Herman "Sonny" Blount aka Sun Ra. Seriously way way ahead of his time . . . formed the Arkestra in the '50's ("a Big Band Gone Awry") and was an innovator in electric, synthesized and outer space music. The band was cult-like and they recorded everything. I saw them live several times (they were in Syracuse at least twice that I can remember in the late '70's) Their performances were a mix of song, dance, virtuoso musicianship, audience participation and big band melodies spanning every genre of jazz from rag to free form improvisation. "Fate in a pleasant mood can change your destiny . . . "

This composer wrote one of my movie favorites.
Of course, it is probably the only song I know of his.
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom