Concerning comment from HCDB | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Concerning comment from HCDB

I think many of us understood that we aren't the 2018 team. We just thought we'd be better than the 2016/2017 teams. And that's what hurts. This looks like the worst team in his tenure and it's year 4. That stings and kills off the casuals.

Not just many of us here, national pundits and polls suggested this team was worthy of a Top 25 ranking prior to the commencement of the season/that Maryland debacle on national TV.

The season isn't over yet. Still 6 games to play.
I said 'looks like', hoping looks are deceiving and we see a different team 2nd half of the year. I think people misunderstand me sometime because I'm a hot head. But all I want is to win. Between the NC State game and that NFL hose job monday night with my Lions, I am in football depression this week. I'm hoping for a 'virtual' xanax in the form of a Panthers pounding Friday.

I think many of us understood that we aren't the 2018 team. We just thought we'd be better than the 2016/2017 teams. And that's what hurts. This looks like the worst team in his tenure and it's year 4. That stings and kills off the casuals.

Season is still going on and we can make a bowl. With all the new (albeit talented) faces, it's understandable we struggled.

Hmmn.

And now the conference is suddenly “up?”

Not sure that’s widely known.

Our special teams are still good, with the same guys essentially.

Defense is good, except for MD.

Stock answer would have been to question OL, which is legit.

Arguably better RBs, similar WR’s.

But biggest difference is QB.

This can’t be that hard to see, right?
Or the OL is sheet. TD is not the problem

Prob a bunch of things. I mean we got a good OT last year as transfer, so that means someone missed a years worth of experience. Some prob are not ready physically yet. I'm not sure the OL coaching is working out well.
Having to go the transfer route repeatedly isn't good. We should have enough guys physically ready in year 4, and the experience thing has been exaggerated. You will find underclassmen starting for teams up and down the top 25, and not just the factories. Missouri starts a sophomore and redshirt sophomore. Minnesota starts a redshirt freshman, sophomore, and redshirt sophomore with no senior on the two deep. Arizona St. starts two freshman. Utah starts two redshirt freshman and a redshirt sophomore.

If game experience is required to be functional (not asking for dominant, functional is not setting the bar high), something is not being done correctly in practice.

Having to go the transfer route repeatedly isn't good. We should have enough guys physically ready in year 4, and the experience thing has been exaggerated. You will find underclassmen starting for teams up and down the top 25, and not just the factories. Missouri starts a sophomore and redshirt sophomore. Minnesota starts a redshirt freshman, sophomore, and redshirt sophomore with no senior on the two deep. Arizona St. starts two freshman. Utah starts two redshirt freshman and a redshirt sophomore.

If game experience is required to be functional (not asking for dominant, functional is not setting the bar high), something is not being done correctly in practice.

We are not recruiting at quite that level, though. And we’re starting a redshirt freshman, too. And I agree with you on maybe it being coaching.

Lots of possible reasons - results are what they are. Dino owns that. We‘ll see if they get better 2nd half of the season...

i take issue with dinos rigidity, and apparent overseeing the coaching staff . he knew before the opening game what he had. this team has been poorly prepared. thats on the staff. his rigidity concerns. i hope for the best

I have a hard time deciphering poorly prepared.

much more of the game is decided on mistakes than how prepared people are.

It wasn't very good last year either but Dungey's running kept the defences from loading up on them.

well let’s be honest here the o line had Conway and Martin.
Also had players in their positions.

I’m taking last years OLine with doubt over this years line. Not even a discussion.

And what happened to Byrne and Adams?

I’m taking last years OLine with doubt over this years line. Not even a discussion.

It could have been better, but it's hard to compare because last year defences didn't load the box and run blitz all game long. If they did that, Dungey would have run wide, and did often, and keep them honest. Tommy can run but he has already taken a lot of hits and he's not as big and able to absorb them like ED.

I have a hard time deciphering poorly prepared.

much more of the game is decided on mistakes than how prepared people are.

1571331782291.png

If one is truly prepared (both physically & mentally) then mistakes don't happen.

It could have been better, but it's hard to compare because last year defences didn't load the box and run blitz all game long. If they did that, Dungey would have run wide, and did often, and keep them honest. Tommy can run but he has already taken a lot of hits and he's not as big and able to absorb them like ED.

I agree that tommy can run but doesn’t and takes hits, and that dungey kept some defenses honest.

But are honestly telling me that between Vet and Alexander they are equal to Conway and Martin? And having the players in correct positions aren’t as big an impact on this years team v last years?

You’re also not taking into consideration that we don’t have strick and custis, who may be underrated, but we’re definitely good leaders on the team.

Between this team and last years team they are different and the defenses are different. I honestly think teams have been better able to scout against this years team after having seen him last year. Teams know what we want to do that is throw, they k ow we haven’t been a good running team so they can stack the box and blitz and almost kill two birds with two stones. If we do run that stop it early and if we pass they get to us quick. They stack the box against a poor line and

I’m not taking away some blame from Devito but I think at this point a lot of what’s happening is mental. That’s gonna have to change with the OLine giving him some time and also him taking some chances downfield.
We arent wining games with running the ball, we’re winning games with passing.

Do we have a 50/50 receiver this year? Is Jackson that? Custis was that last year and year before was Ishmael and Etta Tawo. Can Cam come out as that?

May be a lot of randomness in here as I tend to jump around.

Byrne didn't play in 2018 and didn't return to SU this year, which would have been his 5th year.

I agree that tommy can run but doesn’t and takes hits, and that dungey kept some defenses honest.

But are honestly telling me that between Vet and Alexander they are equal to Conway and Martin? And having the players in correct positions aren’t as big an impact on this years team v last years?

You’re also not taking into consideration that we don’t have strick and custis, who may be underrated, but we’re definitely good leaders on the team.

Between this team and last years team they are different and the defenses are different. I honestly think teams have been better able to scout against this years team after having seen him last year. Teams know what we want to do that is throw, they k ow we haven’t been a good running team so they can stack the box and blitz and almost kill two birds with two stones. If we do run that stop it early and if we pass they get to us quick. They stack the box against a poor line and

I’m not taking away some blame from Devito but I think at this point a lot of what’s happening is mental. That’s gonna have to change with the OLine giving him some time and also him taking some chances downfield.

Do we have a 50/50 receiver this year? Is Jackson that? Custis was that last year and year before was Ishmael and Etta Tawo. Can Cam come out as that?

I think the coaches really impressed upon TD that they have to win the turnover battle in order to be successful this year. That would explain his hesitancy in throw into 50/50 situations. It's a good strategy and they only lost last week by 1 or 2 plays or calls. Maybe they will tell him to take more risk and he also might be adjusting to the speed of play as the season goes on.

Tommy making quick hot reads would fix a lot of the blitzing issues. I'm guessing they didn't simulate that in the 7-on-7 contests.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom