Confirming the Meeting but not the Discussion... | Syracusefan.com

Confirming the Meeting but not the Discussion...

arbitragegls

All Conference
okay then...a meeting did take place. My source was good enough to give me that. Now the story lacking any real substance about what the meeting was about is now all over...even ESPN is reporting( I have changed and paraphrased to get this okay as it is insider)

Notre Dame and the ACC meet

3:11PM ET
Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Notre Dame may be quietly weighing its conference options.
ACC presidents met with the school Sunday.
"The general consensus is Notre Dame would be a great fit," Clemson Board of Trustees chairman David Wilkins told the website. "I'm certainly not implying there's been an offer or anything like that, and certainly I'm not speaking for the ACC or for John Swofford.

The meeting may be more innocent than possible realignment (about Orange Bowl, about a season kick-off game, about # of games a year Notre Dame plays against ACC competition--what my source indicated without giving me the answer)
The ACC recently struck a deal for its league champion to play in the Orange Bowl each year. Notre Dame is believed to be a target to become the game's yearly dance partner -- if it qualifies to play in the game. Obviously, Notre Dame qualifies if it wins X # of games and is ranked in top??? but as a lawman, what is the quid pro quo--that is what I think the meeting was about...ACC gives Notre Dame X...Notre Dame gives ACC Y...deal struck; or least parameters for moving forward are in negotiation.

Now that it is confirmed by Notre Dame later in the day than this original post was correct, please note that more than the Orange Bowl was and is being discussed. What happens from here is:
1. Orange Bowl link with Notre Dame (most likely definitive and announced within two weeks or less)
and perhaps an
2. Association with the ACC that passes further than the Orange Bowl and will have set dates to completion of what this association is and
3. Association that can lead to the ACC being the conference in a given period of time that Notre Dame embraces...based on 2 above.
I was told that Presidents were part of the discussion and the the Orange Bowl was not the only topic on the agenda between Notre Dame and the ACC. Presidents of ACC teams were not needed for #1 above.

Now that it is confirmed by Notre Dame later in the day than this original post was correct, please note that more than the Orange Bowl was and is being discussed. What happens from here is:
1. Orange Bowl link with Notre Dame (most likely definitive and announced within two weeks or less)
and perhaps an
2. Association with the ACC that passes further than the Orange Bowl and will have set dates to completion of what this association is and
3. Association that can lead to the ACC being the conference in a given period of time that Notre Dame embraces...based on 2 above.
I was told that Presidents were part of the discussion and the the Orange Bowl was not the only topic on the agenda between Notre Dame and the ACC. Presidents of ACC teams were not needed for #1 above.

I really appreciate your reports.

and perhaps an

If the ACC were willing to take on ND as an all sports member except football, I assume that ND would go ahead and accept it yesterday. Upgrade from the arrangement they have now, so why not? I can't imagine they'd be so tied into staying with the Georgetowns and Villanovas they like associating with (at the cost of the Louisvilles and other rif raf). Especially given the similarities with so many ACC schools.

But will the ACC allow them to come without their football team? They have said no up until now. But is this meeting a sign that at least a framework of this is on the table? I'm guessing Swarbrick walked into the room and said, "if you mention the words 'all sports member', then me and this peacock I brought with me are leaving".

Courting Notre Dame is in response to FSU and Clemson...Both schools need huge draws to their schedule and to build up their SoS. Also, it wouldn't surprise me to see either BC or Cuse get moved to the Coastal for GTech. People laughed at me bringing up Louisville to the ACC but I wouldn't discount it...academics might have to take a back seat.

Courting Notre Dame is in response to FSU and Clemson...Both schools need huge draws to their schedule and to build up their SoS. Also, it wouldn't surprise me to see either BC or Cuse get moved to the Coastal for GTech. People laughed at me bringing up Louisville to the ACC but I wouldn't discount it...academics might have to take a back seat.

Where does Louisville fit into the equation?

Where does Louisville fit into the equation?

Notre Dame partial for now, UL full time

Go to 16 in BB and 15 in FB...UL delivers another FB school who happens to also kick ass in BB. Depending on how ND deal is negotiated I could see UL coming in.

Go to 16 in BB and 15 in FB...UL delivers another FB school who happens to also kick ass in BB. Depending on how ND deal is negotiated I could see UL coming in.

I guess never say never if the ND partial member becomes a possibility, just wondering if the ACC really wants to go down that road. Big East did it out of necessity, ACC really isn't in that position. At least in this case, ND is in a position of need. Staying in the Big East USA cannot be something they are looking forward to for their other sports.

I guess never say never if the ND partial member becomes a possibility, just wondering if the ACC really wants to go down that road. Big East did it out of necessity, ACC really isn't in that position. At least in this case, ND is in a position of need. Staying in the Big East USA cannot be something they are looking forward to for their other sports.

Could the rumors of May and June be enough for the ACC to look the other way regarding Louisville's academics and also to loosen the restrictions for ND to join for all sports? In order to ensure the ACC's inclusion in the "big leagues", I personally would be willing to add ND as a partial member with a guarantee of 4 games a year. And I would have no problem with Louisville being 15 over Uconn or Rutgers. None at all.

Huge difference being held hostage by the Providence Mafia versus using Notre Dame as a Force Multiplier to save/strengthen the conference and shake more TV money out the tree (anyone think ESPN + NBC)...I wonder if Cuse's MetLife Contract will be used as a sweetner for Notre Dame? Let's be honest only two teams can help Cuse draw 80k there...Notre Dame and PSU (in their prime free of scandal). A few others might come close: Bama, tOSU, Michigan, and yes Rutgers in a bandwagon phase...but I think those two (ND/PSU) only can fill MetLife w/Cuse. Cuse could offer up Notre Dame up many slots at MetLife. Interesting times.

I'd agree to ND as a partial only if there were a solid time frame for them to join fully. Give their fan base 5-10 years to get used to the idea. Otherwise without eventually bringing their FB ND is just a parasite.

Amazing that so many people who ripped the BE and ND new ones, now support ND to the ACC as a partial.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Adding Louisville would be another kick in the teeth for the B12. Especially since LVille was their primary choice before the WVU backstabbing went down.

Get ND and LVille? I'd be cool with that.

Amazing that so many people who ripped the BE and ND new ones, now support ND to the ACC as a partial.

I think the real question is what was the reason for a meeting between ND and certain ACC school presidents.

but as a lawman, what is the quid pro quo--that is what I think the meeting was about...ACC gives Notre Dame X...Notre Dame gives ACC Y...deal struck; or least parameters for moving forward are in negotiation.
This is where the rubber meets the road. What would ND's "Y" be?

If I were advising the ACC, I would warn them to check their wallet on the way out of the room.

Many? Please name them.

BTW, I understood the value of ND as a partial member in the BE

Adding Louisville would be another kick in the teeth for the B12. Especially since LVille was their primary choice before the WVU backstabbing went down.

Get ND and LVille? I'd be cool with that.

LOL true...WV fans would go full out Psycho Ditched Ex-Girlfriend on the ACC...what could the B12 do to counter? Adding Rutgirls or UConn? Yawn...Cincy and Memphis would be a bridge for WV but what do they add? Again Yawn no homeruns there...some decent programs for depth but no home runs or even triples (brand name wise). Would they look West (BYU and Boise) and totally piss off WV?

Step back and take a deep breath.

I highly doubt ND is joining full-time and I just don't see the ACC going after Louisville for 15 in football. They recently signed a contract extension that carried with it an assumption of 9 conference games. Is 9 even possible with 15?

It's obvious that ND is playing the Big 12 off against the ACC in hopes for the best deal possible for them. They probably don't care which gives them the better deal either. It's all about the Irish. If that sounds bitter, it's not meant to be. It's recognizing reality. I wish our Orange were in that situation.

Cheers,
Neil

Those people never had a clue about the value ND brought to the BE. Maybe they finally got wise?

Mark, I doubt that L'ville will be a serious contender for ACC: just not a good fit, especially academically and geographically (ND is the lone exception in this regard).

Rutgers is a much better option, followed by UCONN. Adds to the East Coast foot print and NYC market.

Mark, I doubt that L'ville will be a serious contender for ACC: just not a good fit, especially academically and geographically (ND is the lone exception in this regard).

Rutgers is a much better option, followed by UCONN. Adds to the East Coast foot print and NYC market.

Take a look at a map...Louisville is not that far from NC/VA/Upstate SC/ATL most of the trips are 7-8 hrs by car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom