Congrats to Sarah Fuller | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Congrats to Sarah Fuller

Are you including field goals in that also or just kickoffs?
All of it. You didn't score but you did well so bring out someone else to play a different sport for partial credit. Maybe they will let people bowl on fourth down instead of kick, I could be a great football player

Wow. What did you expect her to put it through the uprights? I think it’s awesome, and I am not at all a feminist. I made sure my daughter knew about this today.
The guy w the handle DoubleDee isn’t a feminist!?!

:cool:

Not for nothing, Kathy Ireland shattered this barrier back in ‘91 with the Texas State Armadillos, so not sure what the big deal is.

Well it’s not like there hasn’t been about 14,000 publicity stunts involving male college football players over the years.

Also, it wasn’t a publicity stunt.

The mouthbreathers on here SO mad about a woman kicking in a football game were the first ones off their butt at the Carrier Dome when Charlie Lockwood came in as a stunt off the bench in a blowout, or the stunt of any of the "pay to play" walk-ons played, or Melvin Tuten coming on in the last moment.

I love publicity stunts, whether it's Flutie kicking a drop kick in a game or Sorenstam playing on the PGA Tour. It's fun, everyone get a grip.

This was actually necessary so it was helpful to Vandy to do this and a cool story.

The guy w the handle DoubleDee isn’t a feminist!?!

:cool:

Not for nothing, Kathy Ireland shattered this barrier back in ‘91 with the Texas State Armadillos, so not sure what the big deal is.
For the record, as much as i may appreciate a good set of d's, my initials are DD and its a long time nickname.

I don't think you really understand what it looks like to shatter a barrier, based on your example at the end.

And if me making this post was virtue signaling, well...

tenor.gif
Being the first African American to win a Heisman is shattering a barrier. Being the first female to sit on the Supreme Court is shattering a barrier. Being the first non-Christian to hold one of the country’s highest offices is shattering a barrier.

A girl kicking in a game because COVID decimated the normal headcount isn’t a reason to get worked up one way or another, whether or not you want to feel self righteous about it. Sorry.

And I know some try hard is going to twist what I said, so to be clear, I have nothing against women playing sports, and the first girl to kick in BCS football without any asterisks (which occurred before last weekend and is the subject of a completely different conversation) shattered a barrier.

The mouthbreathers on here SO mad about a woman kicking in a football game were the first ones off their butt at the Carrier Dome when Charlie Lockwood came in as a stunt off the bench in a blowout, or the stunt of any of the "pay to play" walk-ons played, or Melvin Tuten coming on in the last moment.

I love publicity stunts, whether it's Flutie kicking a drop kick in a game or Sorenstam playing on the PGA Tour. It's fun, everyone get a grip.

This was actually necessary so it was helpful to Vandy to do this and a cool story.

A few weeks later, Jamesville-DeWitt grad Suzy (McGuire) Whaley also competed in a PGA tour event. She's a walking publicity stunt though as she's also the first (and only) woman to be President of the PGA. ;)

Shizt take. She had less then a week of practice and kicked it 40 yards. The coach probably had her kick it short to allow the 10 players to get down quicker. She is the last reason they suck considering she was out there for one play

Youre not that smart are ya... when did i ever say that she was reason they suck... its obvious i was saying making coaching decisions like that was reason they suck. Why kick the ball to 35 yard line... makes no sense... if thats the results you wanted then just kick it out of bounds. Anybody could kick ball out of bounds. The fact that they had a female do that just shows a publicity stunt with a losing season. It would be one thing if she would have had a decent kickoff but literally you could have sent any player on the team out there and gotten same results

I’m all for equality but feminism has mutated into a man hating mental disorder and I condemn it period!

She won SEC special teams player of
The week.

I was happy for this young lady accomplishing something never done before. However a 30 yard kickoff that wasn’t recovered by Vandy doesn’t scream special teams player of the week.

Odd question but given she's a scholarship athlete and sport scholarship heirachy shouldn't she have to count against Vandys 85 for football?

I’m all for equal opportunity for everyone. And frankly I’m not surprised that a woman got a chance to kick in a college game. It’s inevitable. But it’s also true that on average, men are bigger, stronger and faster. They have built-in advantages - on average. Just the same I have no problem celebrating a woman who has earned an opportunity to compete.

My issue is more about the skewed perception of sexism in sports. Sexism is NOT that women don’t have opportunity. Title 9 went a long way to correcting that, and women have LOTS of opportunity. In some ways, more than men. No my issue is the perceived notion that we need to make things easier for women or else they can’t compete. Example: In boys high school soccer, if a game goes to overtime, a sudden death period follows. Males apparently are capable of competing in a high pressure situation. In girls soccer, however, there are two equal overtime periods to try to determine a winner. I was puzzled by this for a long time. When I asked about it, I was told that the rule goes back decades, and was established to compensate for circumstances such as wind or field conditions. The theory was/is that girls are not strong enough to kick the ball hard enough to compensate for circumstances that would give a clear advantage to the other team.

You want sexism? That’s sexism. Don’t spend your time arguing over why there aren’t more female college football players or kickers. Ask why the rules of the game are different to “compensate” for women. Fight to get THAT changed. Ask why a women’s basketball needs to be smaller. You want to eradicate sexism? Start there.

Last edited:
I’m all for equal opportunity for everyone. And frankly I’m not surprised that a woman got a chance to kick in a college game. It’s inevitable. But it’s also true that on average, men are bigger, stronger and faster. The have built-in advantages - on average. Just the same I have no problem celebrating a woman who has earned an opportunity to compete.

My issue is more about the skewed perception of s e xism in sports. s e xism is NOT that women don’t have opportunity. Title 9 went a long way to correcting that, and women have LOTS of opportunity. In some ways, more than men. No my issue is the perceived notion that we need to make things easier for women or else they can’t compete. Example: In boys high school soccer, if a game goes to overtime, a sudden death period follows. Males apparently are capable of competing in a high pressure situation. In girls soccer, however, there are two equal periods to try to determine a winner. I was puzzled by this for a long time. When I asked about it, I was told that the rule goes back decades, and was established to compensate for circumstances such as wind or field conditions. The theory was/is that girls are not strong enough to kick the ball hard enough to compensate for circumstances that would give a clear advantage to the other team.

You want s e xism? That’s s e xism. Don’t spend your time arguing over why there aren’t more female college football players or kickers. Ask why the rules of the game are different to “compensate” for women. Fight to get THAT changed. Ask why a women’s basketball needs to be smaller. You want to eradicate s e xism? Start there.

Men made these rules

Sudden death is dumb and the woman’s rules for IT are better

I’m all for equal opportunity for everyone. And frankly I’m not surprised that a woman got a chance to kick in a college game. It’s inevitable. But it’s also true that on average, men are bigger, stronger and faster. They have built-in advantages - on average. Just the same I have no problem celebrating a woman who has earned an opportunity to compete.

My issue is more about the skewed perception of s e xism in sports. s e xism is NOT that women don’t have opportunity. Title 9 went a long way to correcting that, and women have LOTS of opportunity. In some ways, more than men. No my issue is the perceived notion that we need to make things easier for women or else they can’t compete. Example: In boys high school soccer, if a game goes to overtime, a sudden death period follows. Males apparently are capable of competing in a high pressure situation. In girls soccer, however, there are two equal overtime periods to try to determine a winner. I was puzzled by this for a long time. When I asked about it, I was told that the rule goes back decades, and was established to compensate for circumstances such as wind or field conditions. The theory was/is that girls are not strong enough to kick the ball hard enough to compensate for circumstances that would give a clear advantage to the other team.

You want s e xism? That’s s e xism. Don’t spend your time arguing over why there aren’t more female college football players or kickers. Ask why the rules of the game are different to “compensate” for women. Fight to get THAT changed. Ask why a women’s basketball needs to be smaller. You want to eradicate s e xism? Start there.

Because, as you said in your first paragraph, men are bigger.

;)

Example: In boys high school soccer, if a game goes to overtime, a sudden death period follows. Males apparently are capable of competing in a high pressure situation. In girls soccer, however, there are two equal overtime periods to try to determine a winner. I was puzzled by this for a long time. When I asked about it, I was told that the rule goes back decades, and was established to compensate for circumstances such as wind or field conditions. The theory was/is that girls are not strong enough to kick the ball hard enough to compensate for circumstances that would give a clear advantage to the other team.
I coach both boys and girls varsity soccer squads and the OT rules are identical.

I'm happy for her but it does feel like a publicity stunt by vandy which if any SEC team would do it, it'd be them. Maybe you could say they gave her the PAT to thank her for her one squib kick that a lot of guys on the football team could've done but when they have a normal quicker go drill a 39 yarder it definitely makes you question the reasoning. I will say this those who think our athletics are a mess wouldn't want to look under the hood at vandy, they truly are a chit show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom