Conley, Brumbaugh Fired | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Conley, Brumbaugh Fired

I'm not doubting Marrone's reasons, I just think we had more immediate issues on this staff that require attention.

Very sorry to see Dan go...if true.

I'm completely fine with Shafer building his own staff. But lets hope their replacements are more Tyrone Wheatleyesque. This program sorely needs ace recruiters.

The only way this makes sense is if they're replaced by proven recruiters. These two guys have at least had a good season out of their respective units at Syracuse. Which is more than you can say about Marrone's offensive line and offense as a whole.

The only way this makes sense is if they're replaced by proven recruiters. These two guys have at least had a good season out of their respective units at Syracuse. Which is more than you can say about Marrone's offensive line and offense as a whole.
Kinda my thinking.

Surprised and disappointed for Dan, if this is true.

If this is accurate, having this out there before an official annoucement is not helpful to anyone.
As of this moment both are in the staff directory.

They were let go 2 days ago.

If this is accurate, having this out there before an official annoucement is not helpful to anyone. As of this moment both are in the staff directory.
If true, makes me wonder about a few things. I had Brumbaugh near the top of my potential changes list in an earlier post, for all the reasons people cite. The fact that two changes on D would come so soon could mean that a targeted replacement for Conley was available, and thus the move could be made now. Or it could mean that Marrone's long-term plan is to win by grinding out close games, and he wants the defense to be paramount, so it gets attention first (and continues to get the best athletes).

I will have to see who the replacements are before i have much of an opinion. Change always interests me tho.

really have a hard time understanding the Conley firing - only thing I can think of is that he wasn't getting along with Shafer for whatever reason

after the past 2 seasons I would think a change at OC would be much more justified :noidea:

No.

Defense was the problem this year.

The offense was certainly not dynamic, but it wasn't the essential problem.

The Conley move has to be for different reasons. I assume Marrone is looking for more value-add, as opposed to removing a negative. Conley was coaching three first year starters (counting Spruill, as he played out of position) who were undersized. Actually, if I recall, he was only coaching the MLB's, so Spruill was his project, in essence. Anselmo took the OLB's. So if it were a performance issue only, he would basically have been fired based on Spruill's season retrospective.

It really has to be first and foremost a case of Shafer wanting his guys. Second, I would guess there is someone in mind for the job who fits another need, like special teams, or a reputation as a top-flight recruiter.

Ugh...stability on our coaching staff is pretty poor. Would be nice to not have the turnover we have had teh past couple of years. That can't help in the big picture.

No.

Defense was better than the offense. I don't know how anyone can say it was a bigger problem than the offense. This is why gosu96 obscures his charts with a bunch of irrelevant zigzags about avg yards per 2nd and 22 plays or whatever else you want to cherry pick.

Yards points in all games and just conference games.
Defense is better in all 4 comparisons

Overall O Overall D Conf O Conf D
Yards 90 65 84 43
Points 84 75 94 66

Ugh...stability on our coaching staff is pretty poor. Would be nice to not have the turnover we have had teh past couple of years. That can't help in the big picture.

How do you figure? Outside of Casullo, we haven't had anyone leave since Marrone got here.

Defense was better than the offense. I don't know how anyone can say it was a bigger problem than the offense. This is why gosu96 obscures his charts with a bunch of irrelevant zigzags about avg yards per 2nd and 22 plays or whatever else you want to cherry pick.

Yards points in all games and just conference games.
Defense is better in all 4 comparisons

Overall O Overall D Conf O Conf D
Yards 90 65 84 43
Points 84 75 94 66

What the hell are you talking about?

Thought Brumbaugh did a good job with the DTs and I am a fan of Dan Conley. Sorry to see both go. I think Scott Shafer wants his people at the coaching positions on the defensive side of the ball and expect to see these guys replaced with players from the Shafer/Mallory coaching tree.

I wonder if Mike Mallory might end up one of the hires? He worked with DM with the Saints, worked with Shafer at Illinois and Northern Illinois and is the son of Bill Mallory, who has had a big influence on Shafer and his career. He has been a defensive coach, mostly working with LBs and now has extensive experience working with special teams.

When they worked together before, Mallory was the DC. He might not want to take a college position that is not at the DC level, but who knows, he might be sick of coaching in the pros.
Especially with Pitt now in transition seems like Dan could steal a couple of Western Pa Kids now SU only has 1 link to Western Pa.

I am not advocating hiring Mallory, just thinking it is someone Shafer might want to hire. I get the impression Marrone is giving Shafer complete responsibilty for the defense, and he wants people who know his system.
I'd be surprised if Marrone/Shafer haven't already targeted their replacements prior to the firings. Coaches are so connected, they know everyone.

No.

based on what exactly OPA? You often have very concrete contrarian positions on such issues, but don't seem to provide any justification.

During the 5 game losing streak to end the season the offense averaged 16.2 pts/game - that's an essential problem when it's being produced by your more experienced and less injured unit.

I'm worried about what, if any commits we might lose. It's not like our class was stellar to begin with and our season's performance isn't a draw either for potential replacements.

brent-axe_icon_normal.jpg

BrentAxeMedia Brent Axe

Brumbaugh and Conley are still listed on coaches page on http://SUAthletics.com http://tinyurl.com/cd5c68o

Axe tweet says that "all coaches are under contract" as per SU spokesman. Color me confused.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom