Conley, Brumbaugh Fired | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Conley, Brumbaugh Fired

Stop with the nonsense.

And where did I ever say anything about Conley?

My point was you can make a case for letting everyone outside of Shafer and Wheatley go. So why Conley and not the others?

Which was my point. Those two are the only ones that are earning their pay right now. Conley was at least getting some kids from PA. Was he really any worse that the other guys?

Who knows if there were personality differences with Shafer etc? Look at the moves that we made offseason coming into this season. We basically took away responsibility from both Conley and Brumbaugh. Maybe we were trying to get them to leave of their own accord and neither were getting the hint. It certainly looks like they just didn't fit into Shafer's plans. Again, I'm completely fine with that.

if you go back and watch the biggest issues the D had it was the LBs being out of position.. you can argue whether being young was the bigger part of that or the coaching but when 3rd down D fails its usually blown coverage that does it and the LBs were horrible. the DBs let us down to with some bad plays, but many times they were in position and failed which is at least part of the battle.

we lost 7 games, there was blame on each side, the uconn game the offense played one good half and the D had one good half, the fact we couldn't stop one dimensional teams with simple schemes tells you the D had issues beyond game plan.

No.

Defense was the problem this year.

The offense was certainly not dynamic, but it wasn't the essential problem.

Did you watch ANY of our games? Our offense was awful for the first part of the season, played well for about 3 weeks, and then played awful for the rest of the season. Our offensive line, with 4 returning starters, was abysmal and went backward compared to last year.

At least on defense, there were personnel issues and we were breaking in a lot of new guys. Special teams and the offensive line were the 2 biggest problems with this team, for anybody who was watching.

Outside of Shafer and Wheatley every assistant should be let go. Why do Hackett, Anselmo, Adkins, and Moore get free passes?

Anselmo brings in a lot of players from NY. Every one was psyched to get Brandon Reddish over a Penn State offer last year. As long as recruiting NY is a part of the plan, Anselmo is going to be here, IMO.

Not sure why Adkins comes under fire. Getting a lot of talent out of Georgia. Also, OL has shown some signs. While Chibane regressed, Macky improved enough to be a usable D-1 center as a sophomore. Tiller and Hay had their weaknesses that are more god-given then teachable ability (mainly agility). I think this is the year to see just what type of a coach Marrone and Adkins are on the OL.

if you go back and watch the biggest issues the D had it was the LBs being out of position.. you can argue whether being young was the bigger part of that or the coaching but when 3rd down D fails its usually blown coverage that does it and the LBs were horrible. the DBs let us down to with some bad plays, but many times they were in position and failed which is at least part of the battle.

we lost 7 games, there was blame on each side, the uconn game the offense played one good half and the D had one good half, the fact we couldn't stop one dimensional teams with simple schemes tells you the D had issues beyond game plan.

We couldn't get off the field last year vs Colgate either using a similar scheme with worse talent than UConn. Same with RU last year running the Wild Knight over and over and over again. Honestly I think it is more Shafer's D than the players or Conley.

The only way this makes sense is if they're replaced by proven recruiters. These two guys have at least had a good season out of their respective units at Syracuse. Which is more than you can say about Marrone's offensive line and offense as a whole.

Good season? You're delusional. We didn't stop one wildcat bullcrap run in the last 5 games. Defense and st were the #1 culprit of the collapse at the end of the year.

I'm a little stunned by this. All things considered, I thought both did pretty well with such I experienced players and injuries this year. Basically all new linebackers and they were far from our most glaring weakness, and several of our DL performed, I think, above expectations.

Did you watch ANY of our games? Our offense was awful for the first part of the season, played well for about 3 weeks, and then played awful for the rest of the season. Our offensive line, with 4 returning starters, was abysmal and went backward compared to last year.

At least on defense, there were personnel issues and we were breaking in a lot of new guys. Special teams and the offensive line were the 2 biggest problems with this team, for anybody who was watching.

Yes, I was at every home game except USF - my first missed home game in probably ten years - and was at the games against USC, UConn and Pitt.

The essential problem this year was the defense. Special teams were a problem as well.

The offense has been this board's whipping boy the entire year - I understand that.

But the offense was really not the major problem.

At UConn we literally did not stop the Huskies the entire second half - UConn was getting seven to eight to nine yards a clip on first down. Pitt was getting seven yards a crack on first down. We couldn't stop Louisville or Cincy or USF.

So, I am not surprised that two defensive coaches were let go.

Over the 3 years, the O has been a much bigger problem than the D. The D lost a ton before this past season and was fairly good in other seasons. The Offense and "special" teams have been bad all 3 years.

I agree that in 2009 and 2010 the defense played pretty well - much better than this year.

But right now we're talking about this year - the decision to let go two defensive coaches this year.

I understand what you are saying, but it is ironic that we had a WR break the sesason reception record this year.

You don't have to be good to break a receptions record.

If True Coach Daoust better come up Big in recruiting
I don't much like Daoust. I don't know much about him but I think I would rather have Brumbaugh that Daoust. I would think the players would be able to relate to Brumbaugh more with his playing experience. I also know that not all good players make good coaches.

You don't have to be good to break a receptions record.
Didn't Lemon just make 2nd team all conference? Do you have to be 1st team all conference to be considered good, or player of the year? Did you watch any games this year at all?

I agree that in 2009 and 2010 the defense played pretty well - much better than this year.

But right now we're talking about this year - the decision to let go two defensive coaches this year.
The 2009 defense gave up 34+ points in 5 games. 2009 defense was worse than this year

Clearly the message here is that the inability to stop the run, especially mobile QB's running from the shotgun or the wildcat, is considered the orimary weakness of the D with the primary culprits being the DT's and LB's. So those coaches get canned. I guess I get that but I still wonder how you leave the safeties out of that equation. I still thought our secondary was the real weak link on D this year with our safeties not helping on run defense and the corners giving up way too many big plays. The prospect of starting 4 potentially new guys back there next year (if Anderson doesn't get one side and Lyn leaves on the other), doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. While we're at it, for those who keep harping on the talent poor excuse for our performance, he darn well better replace the two coaches with serious upgrades on the recruiting side.

I'm also wondering what if any impact this may have on our LB and DT commits in this class. Not so worried about Davis as he's a Jan enrollee anyway.

Now let's see what he does on the O side in terms of coaching changes next.

well thats it for me with marrone. i dont care if its business, im taking it personally.

no conley?? then no marrone. lets get an offensive guru in here who can put some serious points up on the board.

hes brought in zero skill position recruits in 3 years. enough of this shlitz already.

Oh Lord

well thats it for me with marrone. i dont care if its business, im taking it personally.

no conley?? then no marrone. lets get an offensive guru in here who can put some serious points up on the board.

hes brought in zero skill position recruits in 3 years. enough of this shlitz already.

Oh Lord

When you've lost the Kaiser, you've lost Orange Nation.

walter-cronkite33%5B1%5D.jpg

Didn't Lemon just make 2nd team all conference? Do you have to be 1st team all conference to be considered good, or player of the year? Did you watch any games this year at all?

I meant that you can't look at that record as saying the receivers are that much better because you can easily set receptions records by not being that good. And honestly, Chandler got all conference despite being injured half the time so I really don't think they're a great indicator. I don't think Lemon is much better than he was last year, I don't see how Moore has coached them to be much better, they look the same.

Good season? You're delusional. We didn't stop one wildcat bullcrap run in the last 5 games. Defense and st were the #1 culprit of the collapse at the end of the year.

How 'bout in the history of SU football?

100% agree with Tomcat, did this guy even watch Su football? Some games Alec was literally our only WR option, I shutter to think where this offense woudl have been without him this year or next.

That one good season was 2010. Jesus, give me a little bit of credit, will ya? sorry if i was misleading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom