Conley, Brumbaugh Fired | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Conley, Brumbaugh Fired

really have a hard time understanding the Conley firing - only thing I can think of is that he wasn't getting along with Shafer for whatever reason

after the past 2 seasons I would think a change at OC would be much more justified :noidea:
That would make too much sense

That would make too much sense
It is possible that we don't have enough $ to pay for a top-dollar "real" OC. Pure WAG, but it would explain why Hackett hasn't been shown the door yet, for all the beating he takes here. If that is the case, this problem isn't going away until we are in the ACC.

well thats it for me with marrone. i dont care if its business, im taking it personally.

no conley?? then no marrone. lets get an offensive guru in here who can put some serious points up on the board.

hes brought in zero skill position recruits in 3 years. enough of this shlitz already.

Oh Lord
conley will probably be the first guy hired by marrone's successor, whenever that is

As much as I'm not a fan of Moore, how much is he getting paid? Maybe he's sticking around because he's not sucking up the budget at all with his little salary.

If Conley wasn't an SU guy would anyone care?

That's the danger of hiring alums, people get attached to the history.

Honestly I have no idea if the guy is a good coach or not.

well thats it for me with marrone. i dont care if its business, im taking it personally.

no conley?? then no marrone. lets get an offensive guru in here who can put some serious points up on the board.

hes brought in zero skill position recruits in 3 years. enough of this shlitz already.

Oh Lord

Hey, I hear that Colgate has a heck of a nice football program over there in Hamilton, NY.!

Enjoy it!

Don't worry about us, we'll be fine. Just go and be well.

I don't care who gets let go. This is Marrone's program and he should do whatever the hell he thinks is best.

If those decisions don't lead to an improvement in record, then it's on him.

Have to agree with this But liked Conley.

Dcuse said:
Good season? You're delusional. We didn't stop one wildcat bullcrap run in the last 5 games. Defense and st were the #1 culprit of the collapse at the end of the year.​

How 'bout in the history of SU football?

washinston_su.jpg

seems to me Conley and coach B showed too much emotion on the sidelines
Doug wants guys to chew gum and stand there like a statue
they shouldn't of tried to coach them up and now they are paying for it

you need to be more specific. you can't just chew gum, your mouth has to be wide open when you do it. huge pet peeve of mine. apparently I went straight from 36 to 85 years old

Tremendous 5th post.

Outstanding work.

You'll fit right in with some of the other geniuses here.

Hey, I hear that Colgate has a heck of a nice football program over there in Hamilton, NY.!

Enjoy it!

Don't worry about us, we'll be fine. Just go and be well.
do they have an offense that can move the ball at will??

if so, maybe ill catch a game like i used too.

otherwise, put conley back on the staff and fire marrone. seems to me that his only accomplishment was holding sean paytons clipboard and going 'nice call sean'.

do they have an offense that can move the ball at will??

if so, maybe ill catch a game like i used too.

otherwise, put conley back on the staff and fire marrone. seems to me that his only accomplishment was holding sean paytons clipboard and going 'nice call sean'.

I really don't know how well Colgate moves the ball.

I do know that Dan Conley probably can't help the Red Raiders in that regard.

Again, I enjoy watching people argue about which unit is responsible for our record. I'm sure Bill Parcells would agree with me that if we had a losing record we probably had a losing offense, and losing defense and a losing special teams.

Discounting the USC game, because I don't think there's much point in analyzing it... Some thoughts on the losses:

Rutgers - Which unit stuck out as being the worst? If your vote is the defense, I'll stop reading your posts from here on out.

Louisville - Defense wasn't very good. Offense had 3 points until garbage time. We're not going to have the Steel Curtain here ever, so I'm going with the offense. Can't win with 3 points.

UConn - Offense had 1 bad half, 1 good half. Defense had 1 good half, 1 bad half. Kinda cancels out. Special Teams was terrible. Offense made the back breaking mistake, Defense couldn't help them by stopping one play run over and over. Flip a 3 sided coin.

USF - Defense was very bad, Special Teams wasn't good, Offense had started moving the ball at least but just made terrible mistakes at crucial times. I'll go with the defense to make everyone think I'm not picking sides.

Cincy - I didn't even watch much of the game thankfully. But the defense was certainly atrocious. The offense was bad. Special Teams I just assume was bad. Ok, I'll go with the defense again.

Pitt - Defense couldn't stop them. But bad Offense and bad Special Teams put us in a 10-0 hole right off the bat.

Other than my trending in the last few games, does it scream defense to you? If it does, then you've dug in your feet on this one.

Again, I enjoy watching people argue about which unit is responsible for our record. I'm sure Bill Parcells would agree with me that if we had a losing record we probably had a losing offense, and losing defense and a losing special teams.

Other than my trending in the last 2 games, does it scream defense to you? If it does, then you've dug in your feet on this one.
The problem with your line of thinking is that if you concede that the offense is a problem, you also must accept that Marrone is a problem.

The problem with your line of thinking is that if you concede that the offense is a problem, you also must accept that Marrone is a problem.

Why is that a problem? It's the truth Marrone is a problem... I have not seen a single damn thing in three years that makes me think that Marrone can coach even a mediocre offense or a mediocre offensive loan. Pretty bad when your HC coach is an offensive line guru and his main claim to fame was being the OC for the Saints.

Actually, no...you've already accepted Marrone as the problem. Maybe the problems on offense don't just lie with Marrone. And if you are going to fall back on the "Well he's the head coach so ultimately its his responsibility line"..Then answer me this..

If he gets all the blame for the offense, shouldn't he get all the credit for last years defense being #7 in the country??? Because ultimately its his responsibility...

And I think offense, defense and special teams allllll need work right now...just playing devils advocate...heheheheh sorry

Actually, no...you've already accepted Marrone as the problem. Maybe the problems on offense don't just lie with Marrone. And if you are going to fall back on the "Well he's the head coach so ultimately its his responsibility line"..Then answer me this..

If he gets all the blame for the offense, shouldn't he get all the credit for last years defense being #7 in the country??? Because ultimately its his responsibility...

And I think offense, defense and special teams allllll need work right now...just playing devils advocate...heheheheh sorry
Let me provide a further explanation.

Marrone was hired under the common belief that he was bringing the explosivity of the New Orleans Saints offense (a team that also plays in a Dome) and that under his experience and tutelage the offensive line would make great strides.

Well... neither of those things has happened. That's kind of a problem.

I'm not sure why everyone is pinning blame on Marrone for the firing of Conley. Conley is on the defense, so obviously Shafer had a big role in this move or ultimately it was his move.

The only reason I can think that all of this is falling on Marrone is that Shafer is not allowed to be cricized.

I'm not sure why everyone is pinning blame on Marrone for the firing of Conley. Conley is on the defense, so obviously Shafer had a big role in this move or ultimately it was his move.

The only reason I can think that all of this is falling on Marrone is that Shafer is not allowed to be cricized.

For me the question is... with all the problems we have why Conley? And Brumbaugh for that matter. The DTs were the only pleasant surprise this year. Every other unit was disappointing. Why no moves on O?

For me the question is... with all the problems we have why Conley? And Brumbaugh for that matter. The DTs were the only pleasant surprise this year. Every other unit was disappointing. Why no moves on O?

+1
I'm not doubting HCDM's reasoning for this move. But with all the deficiencies on this team, it seems odd that Con&Brum were the first to go. I would've thought we had more immediate needs which needed to be addressed first.

The only reason I can think of for doing this now was to allow them the ability to shop themselves to other schools early.

Well, none of the managers who work for me would ever be allowed to fire someone unless I agreed with the action completely. I would suspect Marrone has the same approach.

Well, none of the managers who work for me would ever be allowed to fire someone unless I agreed with the action completely. I would suspect Marrone has the same approach.

Your implying (I think) something that I'm not saying. I'm not saying that Marrone doesn't have his hand in this at all but I'm assuming Shafer is the driving force behind these 2 moves and not the other way around. So in that sense people should be wondering why Shafer wanted them gone more so then why Marrone agreed with or allowed Shafer to have his way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom