Cooney | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney

Andy was fantastic defensively. He had quick hands and was long enough to erupt passing lanes. If Cooney is that good defensively in a year or two, we are in for a treat. Andy was also incredible moving around away from the ball trying to get open on the perimeter. Great conditioning is key, which Cooney may be able to bring to the table like Andy did.

I'm exciting about Cooney but anyone who is watching Andy as a 5th year senior and then thinking Cooney is going to be that kind of person in his first year or two is setting themselves up for disappointment.

I agree with cuseinseattle - but that still isn't the point. In another thread, I mentioned the (hopefully remote) possibility of a major injury to BT or MCW, as well as a minor injury (or family issue or whatever). I boneheadedly forgot potential foul trouble for BT or MCW, even though SU guards traditionally don't seem to have that problem much.

But the last few years have indeed shown Coach B taking a guard out for foul trouble quite a few times. So my point here is that we can't assume TC will only log 10,12,15,18 min., whatever. He's our #3 guard at the lowest.

It's showtime for Trevor. Like a vice-president.

Any chance Ryan Nassib can ball? I recall an SU/Georgetown game where Donovan McNabb came in and scored 10 in a victory (I wish this ranked higher in SU sports lore). And that Melvin Tuten dunk...

Fair averaged 10 ppg per 30 minutes last year. Southerland averaged 12 per 30 minutes last year. Can they get that up to 27-29 together?
Dajaun and Rak can they get us 17-20 ppg combined?
Thats a big part of the equation.

Triche averaged 9.5 ppg in 22.5 minutes. Thats about 12 in 30 minutes already.

I think the possibility is there for using Triche for 34 mpg to average around 14-18 ppg. I also feel MCW will be one of the 3 best passers in college basketball by the end ofthis year, incredible accuracy, vision and the power to create.

At the same time I think Triche is so much better when he is aggressive on both ends and playing less minutes is a big part of that. He looks like the best player on the team at times when he does. And I think MCW brings some nice defensive intensity.

At the same time I think the possiblity is there that JB goes to Triche or MCW to do more on the defensive end cutting there minutes while the other gets huge minutes. I also think Triche is a senior and JB will try to help his stats to possibly make a case for the NBA.

Will JB give Cooney 25 plus minutes in some big east games incase he needs him to do that in march? Is he confident to move Southerland to the 2 for 5 mpg in the first half in march instead? We all would rather sacrifice a closs loss on a bad shooting night if it pays off in march.

I like the prospects that MCW and Triche can go either path though. Same with Xmas Fair and Southerland I like the prosepects that they might not need to play 32 plus mpg.

I would guess Superior Depth this year, defensive pressure, and our 5-7 scorers will play a big part in figuring out minutes.

Who knows? I could see, MCW, Triche, Fair, Southerland, Rak, all hitting 30.

Blanket statements like this oversimplify things. JB does things different now than he did 30 years ago.

JB hasn't changed in this regard. He can't do it for every senior if there are multiple senior starters. Last tear it was KJo. Year before Jackson. Most times they were the last starter taken out when the game was deemed "over". There were many blowout games where a KJo or Jackson went back in the game with 8 minutes to play for a couple minutes while other starters remained on the bench.

Jb does it asa a "favor" to certain seniors to boost their stats a bit. He's done it fir 35 years and in fact, I believe he does it more now than he sis years ago.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

JB hasn't changed in this regard. He can't do it for every senior if there are multiple senior starters. Last tear it was KJo. Year before Jackson. Most times they were the last starter taken out when the game was deemed "over". There were many blowout games where a KJo or Jackson went back in the game with 8 minutes to play for a couple minutes while other starters remained on the bench.

Jb does it asa a "favor" to certain seniors to boost their stats a bit. He's done it fir 35 years and in fact, I believe he does it more now than he sis years ago.

I agree that JB still gives more minutes at the end to seniors. However, that does not guarantee that seniors will get North of 30 per. Please, once again, note Scoops 25 mpg last year.

Do you really think that if Dion had returned that BT would average over 30 per?

Cooney will ultimately prove to be the most important recruit (to date) since 2003.

Cooney will ultimately prove to be the most important recruit (to date) since 2003.
that is some statement...Cooney can really shoot the 3...but...this statement comes really off the court.

I agree that JB still gives more minutes at the end to seniors. However, that does not guarantee that seniors will get North of 30 per. Please, once again, note Scoops 25 mpg last year.

Do you really think that if Dion had returned that BT would average over 30 per?

Where did I say seniors are guaranteed to play more than 30mpg?

I agree with Bees here. Seniors get a lot of playing time. If you don't see it coming, you haven't been paying attention the last 35 years or so.

Going into Orange Madness, I think barring injuries that Cooney is going to get in the neighborhood of 18 or 20 minutes per game. I expect to see JB pull him a lot, explain to him what he did wrong on offense and especially on defense, where he is going to have the most problems. If that seems low, consider that it is a lot more than Andy got when he was a frosh, or MCW for that matter.

Cooney spent a ton of time last season working on shooting off the dribble, often with GMac helping him out. That is something Gerry and Andy did not have coming into their frosh seasons...they only started doing it in games late in their careers.

To me, this is great to see. I am not saying Trevor is going to be a better shooter than GMac and Andy were but from a technical perspective, he is ahead of where they were in some ways at this point. A shooter who can make shots off the dribble is, to me, a far more valuable asset to a team. It gives a player a lot more opportunities to get their shots off, and forces defenders to be more cautious trying to defend them.

Another thing about Cooney is he is already much stronger than GMac or Andy ever were. I think he is going to be able to take advantage when man defenders get in his face, by blowing by them and attacking the rim. His physical strength/leaping ability/athletic ability in general is underrated. He has the potential to score a lot of points for Syracuse during his career. Thar being said, he was really bothered in scrimmages last season when players would body up on him or give him little shoves when he had the ball. Big East basketball is very physical and I think even with the extra year to adjust and get stronger, he will have some trouble on this front.
Winter of 2011- Mike Hopkins "I think he will go down as one of the Great Shooters to ever go to Syracuse,He's got great size. He's a great Athlete. And he flies. He's not abel to handle the ball well now,which is a weakness.But the Kid has made shots his whole life.He's a underrated athlete. and he's a tough competitor" On a interview on Local news JB said how improved he was and expects a lot of him. I loved this guy since day one, but I liked HCDM too and that is fading fast.

Looks like I picked an appropriate theme for the tourney run in "coon dog redemption"

I dont think any player has more changed his legacy in such a short time span as Cooney did with this incredible run.

I salute that man and a month ago, I could not imagine saying that.

Last edited:
Is is nice to see the team go on this run and Trevor play well as his career ends at Syracuse. Many here were unfair with their treatment and words towards him at different points of his career. Some of those called for him to transfer because he wasn't D1 material. It truly was ridiculous at times. Anyhow, I appreciate him staying, continuing to work and giving us another tourney run. This tournament was special.

Winter of 2011- Mike Hopkins "I think he will go down as one of the Great Shooters to ever go to Syracuse,He's got great size. He's a great Athlete. And he flies. He's not abel to handle the ball well now,which is a weakness.But the Kid has made shots his whole life.He's a underrated athlete. and he's a tough competitor" On a interview on Local news JB said how improved he was and expects a lot of him. I loved this guy since day one, but I liked HCDM too and that is fading fast.
I appreciate Cooney more after this tourney but that was a pretty big miss on Hopkins part with that quote. I read this thread and it is a bit disappointing to see what we talked him up to compared to what he turned out to be.

I appreciate the coon dog and wish him luck. Hopefully he can catch on somewhere overseas.

He didn't play in 2013. He was on the team but didn't get into the game.
True, but still part of the team that was there twice. He could be the first three time team member in the NCAA from CNY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom