Cooney | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney

Wow. Lot's to digest here. Hidden agendas, vendettas, accusations...

If you had eyes, and enjoyed the game today, you noticed that TC wasn't banging 3's or busting his ass to get open after SJU shut him off. Yes, he occupied a defender. But no this wasn't his best effort. I too wondered, "is he sick?" He was listless in his efforts to get open. He's usually back cutting his ass off, etc..

Stop blowing him for his subtle impact on the game. Dude had an off night. And we won. That is a good sign. He'll be back. All is well.

Have we forgotten what good man to man defense looks like? They covered Cooney with one guy in straight up man to man. geeze. You guys need to get out more

The Johnnies played a nice job of overplay D Sunday and it worked on Cooney but this is why it's a team as others took advantage of the open space. Too bad Coleman got in foul trouble and had a problem with the D on the free throw line because he could have done quite well offensively. Love the high low with Xmas and Coleman.

Boeheim benched him because of defense
You're in trouble now, Garbs.

Trevor's Army on here insists Defense is one of his strong points. As well as tiring out players on the other side to the point of exhaustion.

Townie72 said:
You're in trouble now, Garbs. Trevor's Army on here insists Defense is one of his strong points. As well as tiring out players on the other side to the point of exhaustion.

Nope - fans of the team would see things in less than black and white. Can TC be a good to very good defender at the top of the zone and still get exposed by quicker, more athletic player? Can he tire out some players running around and others not so much?

He had a bad game. Those wanting to take anything long term from that are guilty of being prisoners of the moment. Those who can't see that for whatever reason he struggled yesterday are not dealing with reality.

Townie72 said:
You're in trouble now, Garbs. Trevor's Army on here insists Defense is one of his strong points. As well as tiring out players on the other side to the point of exhaustion.

Trevor's army? You and a few others are proving the "Army's" point loud and clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Yea, SJU is the first team we have played with any athletes. And he wasn't horrendous anyways.

He was. Its crazy how anyone who doesnt worship Cooney is seen as a bandwagoner or "not a true fan". Cooney is an ok player. He is our 2 guard by default because we really dont have any other ones besides Patterson. He can shoot, no doubt, but if a team chooses to put a good defender on him... he will be useless.

He put up big numbers in previous games vs zone defenses for the most part.

The St. John's game showed how crucial Cooney is to this team. If he performs a little better the game's not even close. He got two good shots off, both were a titch too strong and hit off the back of the rim. His three point percentage is .463, he'll be great going forward with an off game thrown in every now and then, like every player.

It's a shame that the players get hate for not doing well. They're not professionals, guys. There's no point in ripping a player and saying he's not good, especially when that's not true.

That was not what I saw.

then you didnt watch the game. the last 5 minutes he played, he was a statue.
There is a reason he got benched for the last chunk of the game.

The St. John's game showed how crucial Cooney is to this team. If he performs a little better the game's not even close. He got two good shots off, both were a titch too strong and hit off the back of the rim. His three point percentage is .463, he'll be great going forward with an off game thrown in every now and then, like every player. It's a shame that the players get hate for not doing well. They're not professionals, guys.

i thought it showed hoe crucial Ennis is, not Cooney. If there is one player we can not afford to lose... its Ennis. We are still a top 10 team if we lose anyone else (including CJ). Lose Ennis, and we are nothing.

He was. Its crazy how anyone who doesnt worship Cooney is seen as a bandwagoner or "not a true fan". Cooney is an ok player. He is our 2 guard by default because we really dont have any other ones besides Patterson. He can shoot, no doubt, but if a team chooses to put a good defender on him... he will be useless.

He put up big numbers in previous games vs zone defenses for the most part.

We're the #2 ranked team in the country and according to you, 2 (Cooney & Coleman) of our 5 starters are worthless. The other 3 guys must be the 3 best players in America. You have an agenda and Bees pointed it out. Cooney impacted the game by taking away an SJU defender. Man to man defense includes help defense. It is not straight up 1 on 1 like on the playground. By occupying Harrison 20-25 ft from the hoop, 1 side of the court was left unguarded and opened up a nice driving lane to the hoop, which Ennis & Co. used to their advantage. I'd say 55% shooting as a team is proof of this.

i thought it showed hoe crucial Ennis is, not Cooney. If there is one player we can not afford to lose... its Ennis. We are still a top 10 team if we lose anyone else (including CJ). Lose Ennis, and we are nothing.
I agree about Ennis. He's the only legitimate handler we have. I completely disagree with Cooney and CJ. They've been our two main scorers up to this point. We won the St. John's game because Fair nailed late shots. I would like to point out that I haven't seen anyone rip Fair, he had 4 turnovers. Not that I think he should be ripped for it, but it's funny that Cooney gets singled out.

We're the #2 ranked team in the country and according to you, 2 (Cooney & Coleman) of our 5 starters are worthless. The other 3 guys must be the 3 best players in America. You have an agenda and Bees pointed it out. Cooney impacted the game by taking away an SJU defender. Man to man defense includes help defense. It is not straight up 1 on 1 like on the playground. By occupying Harrison 20-25 ft from the hoop, 1 side of the court was left unguarded and opened up a nice driving lane to the hoop, which Ennis & Co. used to their advantage. I'd say 55% shooting as a team is proof of this.

I have no agenda LOL. And the opinion of you or Bees is worth no more than mine is. You are an arrogant dude, wow.
Yes, i think Coleman is useless. He gets his 5 mins at the start of each game, then rides the pine the rest of the game. That is perfectly fine with me. Cooney is not useless, but he is also not he key to our team. Not by a long shot.

I agree about Ennis. He's the only legitimate handler we have. I completely disagree with Cooney and CJ. They've been our two main scorers up to this point. We won the St. John's game because Fair nailed late shots. I would like to point out that I haven't seen anyone rip Fair, he had 4 turnovers. Not that I think he should be ripped for it, but it's funny that Cooney gets singled out.

we shall see if Trevor remains one of our top options. Early in the year coaches let him shoot (mainly because he had one of the worst shooting years ever last season)... now he has had some good games and teams will have to at least guard him. It will be interesting to see if he adjusts. He seems to have decent handle, he has GOT to drive the ball once in a while.

I have no agenda LOL. And the opinion of you or Bees is worth no more than mine is. You are an arrogant dude, wow.
Yes, i think Coleman is useless. He gets his 5 mins at the start of each game, then rides the pine the rest of the game. That is perfectly fine with me. Cooney is not useless, but he is also not he key to our team. Not by a long shot.
You're right. Trevor is only our 2nd leading scorer & far & away best 3 pt shooter. He's really not that important. :bat:

Raf even said he needed to start moving, find a way to get open. I am done with this thread, clearly too much of an emotional topic for some.

Wow. Maybe I can arrange to watch a game with you and you can teach me how to watch and what to look for. I will be forever indebted. :rolleyes:

Cooney is fine and anyone who doesn't see that is a band wagoner. I will take a quiet game from any one of these guys as long as we win. Trevor should and will keep the shots going. I have faith.
It appears that the scoring this season will come mostly from Fair, Ennis, Cooney and Grant. If this team gets good offensive production from three or four of them in the same game, they will win most nights. Even having only two of them "on" offensively will be enough at times.

The best of shooters can have off games or be taken away. Cooney will okay as long as doesn't try to force his deep game and continues to do everything else he does.

Raf even said he needed to start moving, find a way to get open. I am done with this thread, clearly too much of an emotional topic for some.

bingo. only Cooney too. LOL. If this thread was about any other player having a terrible game, people would understand and agree. But not Trevor. He is bullet-proof on here.

You're right. Trevor is only our 2nd leading scorer & far & away best 3 pt shooter. He's really not that important. :bat:

by the end of the year he will be our 4th leading scorer. Not that this is relevant in any way, but it will be the case. he is not the key to our season. Ennis is.

Do you have some sort of meter that measures "intent" of posters or their state of mind? I think the Cooney defenders are way too sensitive about any criticism directed at him. There was even a post a few days ago stating that Cooney had a better freshman year than GMC which was quickly nuked by the next poster.

The core of this team will be Ennis and Fair and Grant from 18 ft to the basket and the Bigs down low getting RBs and 10 to 12 pts a game between them. That's what we are going to need in tight games in the ACC, the ACC tourney and the NCAA tourney. TC bombing away from outside is nice to have and not something you can depend upon every night or at "crunch time".
I'd add Cooney to your core, since he's the one legitimate deep threat on this team. Without his presence, your vision of this team's offense won't happen very easily, and this team will struggle to score in the half court.

TBCuse11 said:
He was. Its crazy how anyone who doesnt worship Cooney is seen as a bandwagoner or "not a true fan". Cooney is an ok player. He is our 2 guard by default because we really dont have any other ones besides Patterson. He can shoot, no doubt, but if a team chooses to put a good defender on him... he will be useless. He put up big numbers in previous games vs zone defenses for the most part.

Zone teams for the most part? 2g by default? Obvious you don't watch any SU games. Your true colors shine brightly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom