Cooney | Syracusefan.com

Cooney

MadNY3

All American
If only his big quotes could be backed up somewhat by his play.

He's the only player I am really disappointed by tonight.

MadNY3 said:
If only his big quotes could be backed up somewhat by his play. He's the only player I am really disappointed by tonight.

What could he have done differently?

What could he have done differently?

Make just one of his 4 open looks from deep. not allow as many 3s in his top area of the zone in the second half. We are very lucky they only made 3 looks from his top part of the zone, they had a lot of open looks there...

Cooney had a few steals, but overall Mike G was the better player tonight. We are nowhere near as good a team without Cooney hitting some jumpers .

headdesk.gif

He's just not getting open for shots. Why don't we set more screens for him. Seems like teams have just erased him. He can't let that happen. If he misses shots he misses. But not getting hardly any shots is unacceptable. Something needs to change. Same story game after game.

What is disarming about Cooney is that he is not White Hot or Shakey, it is that he gets no looks! I think it is a team thing not a Cooney thing. Can't remember a good shooter like him getting shut out game after game.

If only his big quotes could be backed up somewhat by his play.

He's the only player I am really disappointed by tonight.

He's just not getting open for shots. Why don't we set more screens for him. Seems like teams have just erased him. He can't let that happen. If he misses shots he misses. But not getting hardly any shots is unacceptable. Something needs to change. Same story game after game.
we screen for him incessantly. they switch. i've never seen a player of his caliber guarded like that. Ennis has to take advantage.

Libero2 said:
Make just one of his 4 open looks from deep. not allow as many 3s in his top area of the zone in the second half. We are very lucky they only made 3 looks from his top part of the zone, they had a lot of open looks there... Cooney had a few steals, but overall Mike G was the better player tonight. We are nowhere near as good a team without Cooney hitting some jumpers .

He took 3 threes. How about we run some actual plays for him to get a clean look instead of depending on him running around like a maniac hoping to shed his defender. Or maybe our F's and C's cold kick the ball out once in awhile. As to giving up 3's? Not true at all.

Here's the difference. Rautins and GMac would have points in the game where they just took the da.mn ball and launched a stupid deep three that is a low percentage shot nobody should take. Cooney needs to do this. He needs to a) shoot off the bounce b) shoot deeper threes. I'm more comfortable with him shooting off the bounce while going towards the rim and/or shooting a couple feet deeper, instead of doing what he's doing now.

Granted, those are the shots that teams want you to shoot, but shooters are supposed to hit those.

Cooney gets absolutely HOUNDED every second he's on that court. Cooney could literally miss every shot he takes the next 3 games and he still means so much more to this team than people know.

Cooney had a monster game against duke the first time around by playing more point. Maybe We should have let him run some point in the first half in particular. More of a never really got into the game then a bad game for him.

He was opening the driving lanes.

Seriously, he needs to stick one of those threes early and not shortarm that layup.

rrlbees said:
He took 3 threes. How about we run some actual plays for him to get a clean look instead of depending on him running around like a maniac hoping to shed his defender. Or maybe our F's and C's cold kick the ball out once in awhile. As to giving up 3's? Not true at all.

We need him to run around like a maniac. Ray Allen has made quite a career out of it.

He needs to nail a few threes each game, we aren't a dynamic enough scoring team to not have him hitting at least one or two a game.

Listen, a lot of guys had rough games tonight, but TC has to drop in some of those threes or start coming off his screens and attacking the basket and getting to the line.

Maybe it's a few less minutes so he can get his lift on his jumper or take the riding he endures while he's moving without the ball. But he does have to play better.

Our Fs and Cs barely ever are back to the basket, so expecting them to kick it to him while they are driving towards the rim is unlikely. If we went in to Rak more, maybe that would happen.

One of the things that needs to change is Ennis taking more threes. That way they can't be all over Cooney every time.

I'd have to see the replay, but with 2 or 3 seconds left in the shot clock late in the game it looked like we had the perfect chance to double, instead Cooney never quite commits to anything and Saulaimon makes a quick underhand pass to Hood for a layup. That hurt - a lot.

Kid has to hit some shots though, he's not creating anything for anyone else otherwise - I thought his defense tonight was better than our first game against Duke where it was downright awful.

Rak is decent on kick-outs, but we rarely play through the post. The other two start away from the rim and either pull up or drive. Cooney needs to exploit the backdoor more if capable, or show some ability to get around his man off the bounce. Till that happens, any teams with quick defenders will continue to overplay him.

Cooney had no room to breathe tonight. Did he miss a few big shots? Yes. But Ennis was far more disappointing, especially for someone considered the top PG in the draft.

If anything, when assessing the play of the two starting guards tonight, it is Ennis that needs to step it up. He was not sharp tonight.

Cooney gets absolutely HOUNDED every second he's on that court. Cooney could literally miss every shot he takes the next 3 games and he still means so much more to this team than people know.
Then why do we seem better with G in lately?

Millhouse said:
Bees loves a cause

I love team basketball. This team gets into too much 1-1 sometimes. Too many iso's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom