Cooney | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney

I hope Buss gets some minutes this year and proves he can contribute meaningfully. But Cooney will get lots and lots of minutes, whether he's shooting well or not. He's in JB's inner circle. When Cooney is having an off night, he will still do his part out there to deserve those minutes, hustling on O and D.

I hope Buss gets some minutes this year and proves he can contribute meaningfully. But Cooney will get lots and lots of minutes, whether he's shooting well or not. He's in JB's inner circle. When Cooney is having an off night, he will still do his part out there to deserve those minutes, hustling on O and D.

Agreed. But it will be nice to have other options this year if Cooney is having a really off shooting night [that wasn't the case last year]. And I don't think that the team will rely upon him exclusively to provide the team's three point threat--that is good for both the team AND Cooney.

Also...TBCuse11 said he played D1 ball and his opinion was shouted down and was called a liar. I have no idea if he's lying, but it's not really the point...

To me, seems like if you shared a Pabst or whatever in some Manley parking lot you immediately become Dr. Jack Ramsey.

JMO, of course.
He also said that he's a HC coach. No coach, at any level, would take shots at an amateur player like that tool attacks Cooney.

Just from his discussions here, I can almost guarantee he never played competitive hoops anywhere other than youth CYO...maybe.

r
Haven't read the board much the past 3 years?
rrlbees ---i have read enough of your posts to know your perspective --in most things. i say no more- i speak for myself ---and do not generalize as some do. if anyone responds it should be to me re my opinion, not to a general consensus and your interpretation thereof.

He also said that he's a HC coach. No coach, at any level, would take shots at an amateur player like that tool attacks Cooney.

Just from his discussions here, I can almost guarantee he never played competitive hoops anywhere other than youth CYO...maybe.

Right...so you are calling him a liar, correct? That's my point.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with your premise.

tipphill said:
r rrlbees ---i have read enough of your posts to know your perspective --in most things. i say no more- i speak for myself ---and do not generalize as some do. if anyone responds it should be to me re my opinion, not to a general consensus and your interpretation thereof.

I did respond to something specifically you said. Not a general consensus.

I don't like watching Cooney play. I don't think he's earned untouchable. I want lots of guys to get minutes and if they showanything I want Cooney on the bench. I know that's a horrible thing to say here and it's just fine to say that Patterson shouldn't play but whatever. The guy can't shoot most days and gives you nothing else on offense all days.

Notice no one is saying boo in response to this.
If someone with a lower post count said this, they'd be absolutely skewered.

djcon57 said:
Notice no one is saying boo in response to this. If someone with a lower post count said this, they'd be absolutely skewered.
waaaah

No kidding.

Tiresome.

There's an ignore feature on the board if you don't like my posts. I use it on others...it's cool, I won't be offended.

There's an ignore feature on the board if you don't like my posts. I use it on others...it's cool, I won't be offended.

Surprising, given how easily offended one would have to be to complain about board unfairness.

Difficult to prove, but I remember it being worse for Scoop than anyone. Probably in part because he was a good player who I liked and a number of people spent years making up stupid nicknames and inventing ridiculous complaints that bore little relation to what we were watching on the court.

But there do seem to be a handful who find a kid they don't like and ride that theme consistently. It's important to distinguish between our biases (which shouldn't be shared) and basketball-related observations/criticism, which ought to remain as objective as possible.

Yeah, oh, the good ole' days of Scooptard as thread titles, etc...ppl went pretty personal on that kid during his Junior season. It's easier to forget because it seemed like 90% of the board was on board for that nonsense.

Didnt read all the responses but one thing i havent seen mentioned is just how many different backcourt partners cooney has been through in his time here. Chemistry is such a big deal for a shooter as is flow. The kid has not had a chance to play 2 yrs with the same pg. That is tough. Might i add that even in his high school films he appears to do much better shooting when he can make a basketball move with the ball or off a strong curl or trailing the break. All those require good flow and chemistry. When this team starts to develop that chemistry he will start seeing them drop. Additionally, this is the same reason buss has looked so good. He has a knack for doing well in a scrappy game and is very cozy in that setting. I think those differences will make those 2 a nice ying yang combo playing at different times.

Didnt read all the responses but one thing i havent seen mentioned is just how many different backcourt partners cooney has been through in his time here. Chemistry is such a big deal for a shooter as is flow. The kid has not had a chance to play 2 yrs with the same pg. That is tough. Might i add that even in his high school films he appears to do much better shooting when he can make a basketball move with the ball or off a strong curl or trailing the break. All those require good flow and chemistry. When this team starts to develop that chemistry he will start seeing them drop. Additionally, this is the same reason buss has looked so good. He has a knack for doing well in a scrappy game and is very cozy in that setting. I think those differences will make those 2 a nice ying yang combo playing at different times.
Ya, must be tough to play with first round draft picks.

It's Millhouse. He has his own rules on this site.

It is just bizarre to me that people who claim to have a solid understanding of the game cannot get this part :bang:
I was being facetious to make the point that he shot 23% on three pointers for the last ten games. i would guard him but he would be the least of my concerns as far as overall defense. he was scoring .69 pts per shot. in other wods, letting him shoot was beneficial to the defending team.

Just based on perception, not all shooters are as streaky as Cooney. I remember players like Kid Kohls, Greg Monroe, Matt Roe as being fairly consistent. maybe my perceptionis being colored but it seems to me that as soon as Trevor shoots I can see that the trajectory is wrong. there are close misses and there are bad misses. what scares me about Trevor are the bad misses.

its because his post count is so high that we've learned to ignore most anything he posts on the hoop side

its because his post count is so high that we've learned to ignore most anything he posts on the hoop side

I can't get over your avatar. Is that someone in ISIS?

AlaskaSU said:
I was being facetious to make the point that he shot 23% on three pointers for the last ten games. i would guard him but he would be the least of my concerns as far as overall defense. he was scoring .69 pts per shot. in other wods, letting him shoot was beneficial to the defending team. Just based on perception, not all shooters are as streaky as Cooney. I remember players like Kid Kohls, Greg Monroe, Matt Roe as being fairly consistent. maybe my perceptionis being colored but it seems to me that as soon as Trevor shoots I can see that the trajectory is wrong. there are close misses and there are bad misses. what scares me about Trevor are the bad misses.

Did you ever think part of the reason for the low shooting percentage was because of the defensive attention?

Last edited:
and how do you propose to keep his feet from getting set if you are leaving him unguarded?

that would be that Alaskan Couch Conference, I presume

not throwing him under the bus, but recognizing the type of player he is and the level of contribution the team needs from him
ACC alaska couch conf. LOL here is a bit of odd ball history. About 25 years ago the state was debating whether to spend billions to move the capital to an uninhabited area north of anchorage, an alaska Brazilia. Opponents argued that we should buy the NFL instead. Pretty soon people started wearing shirts and hats with team names attached to different alaska cities... Skagway 49ers for eg.

I can't get over your avatar. Is that someone in ISIS?
it's Zoogz Rift, most famous as a musician; acolyte of/collaborator with Frank Zappa. He was also involved in several independent pro wrestling companies in the 80s and 90s. I got to know him on the wrestling boards in the years before his death.

Last edited:
Cooneys "struggles" remind me of DNic. From day 1 I watched that kid and thought he should be a great shhoter because his form is so good. It took him a while, and it might take TC a while to be as consistent as he can be, but the raw materials are there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom