Cooney | Syracusefan.com

Cooney

cto said:
His play has been spectacular. He's played with lots of heart... and his D has really improved from what was already good D. Hustles more than anyone else out there. Poised for a terrific season.

Oh that's a relief. I was worried we were gonna get more "cooney is not a D1 player" threads like last year.

His play has been spectacular. He's played with lots of heart... and his D has really improved from what was already good D. Hustles more than anyone else out there. Poised for a terrific season.
and his vertical leap has increased. That kid can fly.

h61C8715D

sorry ---he needs POINT PRODUCTION---that's why we recruited him--and that's what he needs to do----HE NEEDS TO SCORE AND BE A THREE THREAT---next man up----patterson. just my take on cooney.

sorry ---he needs POINT PRODUCTION---that's why we recruited him--and that's what he needs to do----HE NEEDS TO SCORE AND BE A THREE THREAT---next man up----patterson. just my take on cooney.

He is a threat. Thats not the problem. Teams obviously alter their defense to account for him.

He is a threat. Thats not the problem. Teams obviously alter their defense to account for him.
threat,maybe---but does not SCORE!!!. i am sure that they have figured it out, that with any good "d" cooney will not consistantly score - if he does, only minimally , and that would be an anomaly

tipphill said:
threat,maybe---but does not SCORE!!!. i am sure that they have figured it out, that with any good "d" cooney will not consistantly score - if he does, only minimally , and that would be an anomaly

He was 3rd on the team in scoring last year.

So sad when a thread flies over someone's head. Perhaps like a stealthy owl.

Last edited:
I can't remember such visceral hatred for an SU athlete with such over the top criticism than we've had for TC. Only one that comes close is Troy Nunes. Fab Melo was useless, is still hurting us and is a bad person and he hasn't received a fraction of the criticism that Cooney does on a daily basis.

There is valid criticism, but there is also group of usual suspects that have pathetically attacked him from day one. Unfortunately those offering legitimate criticism get drowned out and lumped together with the agenda driven posts.

The collapse at the end of the year was a full team effort, yet this small but loud group of fools puts the blame on TC. It is pathetic.

I can't remember such visceral hatred for an SU athlete with such over the top criticism than we've had for TC. Only one that comes close is Troy Nunes. Fab Melo was useless, is still hurting us and is a bad person and he hasn't received a fraction of the criticism that Cooney does on a daily basis.

There is valid criticism, but there is also group of usual suspects that have pathetically attacked him from day one. Unfortunately those offering legitimate criticism get drowned out and lumped together with the agenda driven posts.

The collapse at the end of the year was a full team effort, yet this small but loud group of fools puts the blame on TC. It is pathetic.

this is a funny post. take off the TC goggles my man, they are more dangerous than beer goggles.
And by the way, the people who have not been a fan from day 1, have been correct. Its not close. Hopefully for the sake of SU basketball, this changes soon.

Craig Forth comes to mind. The abuse he got here 10 years ago was unbearable to read. And the kid was a starter on a National Championship team...and a three-time Academic All-American! In spite of the abuse he took here, he has become a very giving alum who participates in SU events whenever asked (including being the School of Ed's commencement speaker last May).

Last edited:
TBCuse11 said:
this is a funny post. take off the TC goggles my man, they are more dangerous than beer goggles.
And by the way, the people who have not been a fan from day 1, have been correct. Its not close. Hopefully for the sake of SU basketball, this changes soon.

Hope he plays 40 a game just to watch some heads explode.

That is simply not true. Take your own advice and take the anti-Cooney bias googles off, and you'll see a kid who averaged more than 12 points per game and shot 37.5% from three last year.

Nobody is disputing that he was highly inconsistent last year, or that the numbers don't tell the whole story. But some of the criticism is just over the top. Those "who have not been a fan from day 1" have actually been mostly INCORRECT--with the lone exception of the prediction that he might not be a deadeye shooter who's going to hit 45% [or whatever] from three that he was reputed to be coming in.

People who are expecting him to be an NBA caliber 2G were unrealistic and bound to be disappointed. Many of those posters seem congenitally incapable of acknowledging that 12 points per game is really freaking pretty solid by any objective standard in their zeal to label him a D2 player and throw a temper tantrum every time he misses a shot.

Last edited:

Donte Greene, Scoop Jardine and Brandon Triche didn't exactly receive free passes either, and remain targets for many of the board geniuses. It's a tough room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom