Cooney | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Cooney

If I were an ACC coach during Trevor's slump I would take the opposite approach to focusing on him. I would instruct my shooting guard to let Trevor fire away, especially if he is not set.

Just a thought, and not discounting yours, but if you have a home run hitter that hasn't hit a home run in a month, and you know that, do you just throw fastballs over the middle of the plate, or do you actually pitch to him like hes a threat?

sounds like a coach that would be unemployed to me.
Shooting 20% benefits the defending team. During his ACC slump let him shoot all day long as long as his feet are not set.

Just a thought, and not discounting yours, but if you have a home run hitter that hasn't hit a home run in a month, and you know that, do you just throw fastballs over the middle of the plate, or do you actually pitch to him like hes a threat?
Interesting question. Different coaches have different philosophies. Play the odds and go for the easy strike out, or assume that the longer the trend continues the more likely it will not continue. What is the mean in a dynamic model?

Shooting 20% benefits the defending team. During his ACC slump let him shoot all day long as long as his feet are not set.
different shooting 20% with someone all over you than with no one guarding you. Plus if he was left alone he wouldn't have to run around like a mad man and ones legs are key in being a good jump shooter

Last edited:
Interesting question. Different coaches have different philosophies. Play the odds and go for the easy strike out, or assume that the longer the trend continues the more likely it will not continue. What is the mean in a dynamic model?

I think most opposing coaches/managers fear the threat comes out of the slump, hopes it doesn't happen against them, and tries to prevent it by considering them a threat... In this instance i think coaches would fear leaving Trevor open to get a rhythm going, and an opportunity to get his feat set.

and how do you propose to keep his feet from getting set if you are leaving him unguarded?

If I were an ACC coach during Trevor's slump I would take the opposite approach to focusing on him. I would instruct my shooting guard to let Trevor fire away, especially if he is not set.
that would be that Alaskan Couch Conference, I presume

Don't throw Buss under the bus. Best case scenario, they both deserve minutes. Buss is not the shooter that Cooney can be but he is a spark plug.
not throwing him under the bus, but recognizing the type of player he is and the level of contribution the team needs from him

Ok so let's actually analyze Cooney here. In a photo from Adrian I saw the other night, cooneys left hand seems to be more in front of the ball than I can ever remember. Has he always done this?

i want patterson to get more minutes and cooney to get less. that isn't rooting against anyone. someone's going to get less minutes.

Please clarify, because I see this as you saying you want Patterson to get more minutes than he has and Cooney to get less minutes than he averaged last year. Or are you saying you want Patterson to average more than Cooney?

oh, the ntended irony ...
i think the real irony is that SOME people believe that it is a sin to question what the player needs to do and what he was recruited for. it is worse to interpret this as hatred???? very presumptuous. those that see it that way, need to be more introspective, and less critical,defensive, and in this case ,cliquish and above all ---OBJECTIVE.

i think the real irony is that SOME people believe that it is a sin to question what the player needs to do and what he was recruited for. it is worse to interpret this as hatred???? very presumptuous. those that see it that way, need to be more introspective, and less critical,defensive, and in this case ,cliquish and above all ---OBJECTIVE.

write on, dude.

CuseFaninVT said:
Please clarify, because I see this as you saying you want Patterson to get more minutes than he has and Cooney to get less minutes than he averaged last year. Or are you saying you want Patterson to average more than Cooney?
I don't like watching Cooney play. I don't think he's earned untouchable. I want lots of guys to get minutes and if they show anything I want Cooney on the bench. I know that's a horrible thing to say here and it's just fine to say that Patterson shouldn't play but whatever. The guy can't shoot most days and gives you nothing else on offense all days.

tipphill said:

Haven't read the board much the past 3 years?

It is just bizarre to me that people who claim to have a solid understanding of the game cannot get this part :bang:
and what exactly does boeheim remember about coaching man to man defense?

tbonezone said:

Plenty since we practice against it all the time.

tbonezone said:

I guess all these years with the Olympic team and Coach K and coaching against man D for 40 years and playing man D for years including use as a primary defense in 08-09 means he has no clue about man defense.

inconsistency is part of the package for three point threats . . . all of them. Nobody goes out there and goes a machine-like 3 for 8 or 4 for 9 every single game, it's going to be more like a 5 for 9 followed by a 2 for 7 followed by a 1 for 4. Inconsistent, yes, but that is what 40% shooting is made of, and the threat of that 5 for 9 lurking on any given night is what forces opposing coaches to assign one of the their two best defenders on him every time out, even if he's missed his last 10 in a row.
Excellent post.

Many here would be well served to visit basketball-reference.com and look at the game logs of outstanding volume 3-point shooters, past and present.

I get what you are trying to say, but I take issue with your example.

You don't throw fastballs over the plate to any major leaguer, except maybe some of the pitchers batting in the National League.

You don't throw fastballs over the plate to any major leaguer, except maybe some of the pitchers batting in the National League.

I liked your previous post but take issue with this one. What if your name is Nolan Ryan? Or what if it's someone that isn't quite Nolan but has a full count with the bases loaded? Things are situational.

I liked your previous post but take issue with this one. What if your name is Nolan Ryan? Or what if it's someone that isn't quite Nolan but has a full count with the bases loaded? Things are situational.

Sure, things are situational. But the general rule still applies especially with 3-2 counts. Nobody is taking that pitch and few pitchers have the cajones to throw a curve or a slider. It's a fastball count.

I watch a lot of Orioles baseball with Jim Palmer as the commentator. Palmer's comments and analysis along with all the slo-motion instant replays show what happens when a fastball ends in the middle of the plate even to bottom of the line-up .200 hitters. Some are fouled off, some are missed, but many end up against the wall or in the seats. Nobody makes it to the majors that can't hit a fastball over the plate on a fastball count.

Good points. I was trying to dumb it down.

I don't want to hi-jack the thread, but the way hitting has deterioted in the majors the last few years, i think there is more than just NL pitchers you can throw fastballs over the middle the plate to.

Just like nobody is leaving a shooter open that has made 9 3's in a game even if they are 0 for there last 20. It seems you are trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Some of you all are just arguing to argue at this point. Can't we just see what the season brings before we actually call for his head?

Just like nobody is leaving a shooter open that has made 9 3's in a game even if they are 0 for there last 20. It seems you are trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Mistaken identity on your part.

You are fighting with the wrong guy here. I never suggested that any player should or could go unguarded.

Maybe if the SU offense is better this year --- especially inside --- we won't have to depend on (erratic) three point shooting.

Mistaken identity on your part.

You are fighting with the wrong guy here. I never suggested that any player should or could go unguarded.

Maybe if the SU offense is better this year --- especially inside --- we won't have to depend on (erratic) three point shooting.

I apologize for the mistake, my fault there as I read back.

I hope we don't have to rely on erratic shooting as well. Hopefully we have a more diversified attack from more players. I am also expecting Cooney to be more consistent but that is a guess so we shall have to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom