Cornell Postgame Thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cornell Postgame Thoughts

One follow up — I was ready to write off Chris Bell after last year. He’ll never be the most well-rounded basketball player, but kudos to him. I mentioned his D last game, but this game he had a few ball fakes, two dribbles, reset and splash. Just small things that helped him get a better look. He didn’t dribble 80 times. Just within what he could do and knocked down some shots.

He ain’t perfect, but no one is. And he’s clearly gotten better.
Yeah…I just wish he would hustle back every time. You can see Red literally begging him to run back on D with a big arm wave

6-3 now, we were 5-4 this time last year with losses at home to Bryant and Colgate and I believe had a couple guys that aren’t here any more.

So guess I’ll take it for now.

Long term thoughts….meh I’ll leave them for now
We've won every game we were supposed and lost every game we were supposed. I guess that's a positive

Really the 4-5 just so so dumb plays led to Cornell baskets that kept them in the game

Then the brain farts happen way to often.. Just simple plays to move your feet and Cornell would have been stymied but we just stand there and again easy layups

Only good thing was we at least tried to rebound on defense.. Offense is a lost cause.. No oven makes an effort to go to the basket.. awful

One follow up — I was ready to write off Chris Bell after last year. He’ll never be the most well-rounded basketball player, but kudos to him. I mentioned his D last game, but this game he had a few ball fakes, two dribbles, reset and splash. Just small things that helped him get a better look. He didn’t dribble 80 times. Just within what he could do and knocked down some shots.

He ain’t perfect, but no one is. And he’s clearly gotten better.

Yes, there are signs of progress like that all over this team.
But, oh so many errors still.

The alopecia guy on Cornell is a baller.
I genuinely thought Cuffe was going to send it into 2nd deck on the dunk & he ended up getting caught on a poster instead... Haha I was shook.

Outside of Brown, Taylor and Copeland the rest of the team either gambles or doesn’t hustle on defense. Some of the effort out there is not up to what it needs to be.

At this point I want to see continued growth and consistent play from Brown, Taylor and Bell.

Need to beat Georgetown. That is a must win game for these guys just for continued growth and confidence.

The alopecia guy on Cornell is a baller.
Will Smith Reaction GIF by diewebag gmbh

the forwards without benny are not enough...even with Benny, theyre struggling...

but without what Benny couldve been, I guess, at this point...not enough for ACC etc

my guess: they wouldnt DNP Benny unless they knew Chance was coming back...so maybe thats a good sign i.e. westry

they kinda needed him for a while bc they are just so thin at the F spot...and all the shenanigans he pulled are catching up to him now...

Chance being legit is the only chance this team can level up from here, imo

OR

maybe benny is just injured/nursing something

Y'know, they could play Hima and Carey for 4 minutes each - one TV timeout. If you get 8 minutes out MacLeod, then you have some time where Brown doesn't have to guard the other team's center. He will be a more effective player for it.

JJ is hard to watch. I crigne when he shoots.
When Chris Bell makes 3s we can win games. If not we will most likely lose
Brown and Taylor very solid. They make good plays, high IQ. Brown is very good in passing lanes.
Judah is a stud. His shot was falling tonight but still don't like his stroke. If he can be more fluid shooting 3s he will be a 1st rounder and maybe a lotto pick. Best Cuse guard in last 10 years

Take the win over a pretty good team.
-however my biggest two takeaways from this game are negative. First, JJ was awful on both ends. I’m really starting to wonder if he just isn’t anywhere near as good as we hoped. I’m also wondering if Cuffe should be taking more of his minutes.
-my second negative take is that when Judah went out it looked like Red had No idea how to run an offense. We literally were squeezing up bad shots with single digits Left on the shot clock. He has to do better.
-this team cannot afford to turn over the ball and Quadir does it simply too much. As I wondered in the game thread, is he uncoachable or are the coaches not doing a good enough job stressing ball security with him? It has to get better or he can’t play. Red got Lucky when Q made those two free throws. With the lead red needed to have Bell on the court instead of Quadir For free throws.
-One huge bright spot was Justin Taylor. His shots looked much better even when he missed. He finally went to the basket and scored in the paint. He was all over the court and it was good to see him bounce back after a tough one in Virginia.
-Brown showed that you can really help your team win without scoring. Can’t remember the last time I saw a zero points 12 rebounds line.
-Judah looked great from three and his stroke is improving but the foul trouble has to stop and it seems like a technical foul is somewhat inevitable at this point given how many times he is talking trash, and the refs have to stop him. I can’t imagine that kind of immaturity impresses NBA scouts.
-stressful night, but at six and three this is where we thought we would be.
When I watched, Cuffe was really bad.

I liked the way Taylor played today (I don't always). Solid on rebounds & defense, was a little more aggressive on putting up shots, put the ball on the floor & attacked the paint/rim today a few times. He did everything right.
Agreed. He had a couple deflections leading to turnovers & a few good ball denials as well. Great all-around.

Take the win over a pretty good team.
-however my biggest two takeaways from this game are negative. First, JJ was awful on both ends. I’m really starting to wonder if he just isn’t anywhere near as good as we hoped. I’m also wondering if Cuffe should be taking more of his minutes.
-my second negative take is that when Judah went out it looked like Red had No idea how to run an offense. We literally were squeezing up bad shots with single digits Left on the shot clock. He has to do better.
-this team cannot afford to turn over the ball and Quadir does it simply too much. As I wondered in the game thread, is he uncoachable or are the coaches not doing a good enough job stressing ball security with him? It has to get better or he can’t play. Red got Lucky when Q made those two free throws. With the lead red needed to have Bell on the court instead of Quadir For free throws.
-One huge bright spot was Justin Taylor. His shots looked much better even when he missed. He finally went to the basket and scored in the paint. He was all over the court and it was good to see him bounce back after a tough one in Virginia.
-Brown showed that you can really help your team win without scoring. Can’t remember the last time I saw a zero points 12 rebounds line.
-Judah looked great from three and his stroke is improving but the foul trouble has to stop and it seems like a technical foul is somewhat inevitable at this point given how many times he is talking trash, and the refs have to stop him. I can’t imagine that kind of immaturity impresses NBA scouts.
-stressful night, but at six and three this is where we thought we would be.
all of the players have weaknesses...red is trying to patch it together...but these guys all have key holes in their games top to bottom...even Judah.

for instance, Q has the turnovers but hes better on defense than bell, for example...there arent really many options to bench these guys...bc each of them can only do certain things...

so when red wants defense - Q is going to play - i agree he has to STOP the carelessness and brain farts. then again, that is part of the reason he is good...unpredictable and flashy...but needs to play smarter 100%

re: cuffe / jj - cuffe didnt do much either...he always tries to dunk his rebounds instead of just getting the ball and then deciding what to do...and ends up missing a lot...his play hasnt really impressed tbh...even though i really like his game and prospects for the future...he currently doesnt hold a candle to the flawed JJ.

gotta wonder where that great defense the last 4 minutes is...most of the time...they are way too casual

if they played D like that every minute of every game...they would not have been blownout 3 times already this season...likely not even once...and this game wouldve been a blowout win.

no excuses.

i hope the stff can recruit some bball IQ next offseason.

Bell got his hands on a few passes tonight. But that pass at the end trying to protect the lead oh my.

the whole team looks asleep 75% of the game..

The D was better which was good because Cornell will back door you 100x .

not sure we have any offense except we at least took it to the basket after the half.

Not having a single player that can do anything down low makes it hard to score against better teams.

He missed some shots, but defensively he was light years better than JJ and had no turnovers compared to JJ having three
I am not sure he hit anything on shots, but I was an intermittent viewer tonight. JJ hit the big foul line shot near the end. Maybe that’s the start?

I liked the way Taylor played today (I don't always). Solid on rebounds & defense, was a little more aggressive on putting up shots, put the ball on the floor & attacked the paint/rim today a few times. He did everything right.
I think he is ahead of Sophomore, Buddy. Not quite the shooter but all other parts of his game are better than Sophomore Buddy.

Rough game for Starling, but he came up big late. Obviously he's not close to 100% physically.

Taylor had a real nice all around game. Great to see. We'll need more of that from him.

Brown was a disruptive force on defense, as usual. He's a keeper.

Mintz looked confident and smooth from deep. If he can knock that shot down consistently when they sag off of him...

Bell can shoot.

This is not a good defensive team. You can't give up so many easy baskets and offensive rebounds and beat good teams consistently. Red has some work to do here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom