Could Christmas have been any worse? | Syracusefan.com

Could Christmas have been any worse?

swish7

All Conference
I wouldn't blame Xmas alone, but he was terrible. Or just his usual self.

I have these foggy memories of him playing well, in some prior season. What happened?

Southys 3 was fools gold. It was a terrible shot selection, but he made it. So, we started jacking up more of Em. Lost the game right there.

In turn, gtowns selection was good all game. Once they finally started making Em, we were toast.

I so wanted JB to sub for all 5, at least a couple times. Send a message, if nothing else.

I have these foggy memories of him playing well, in some prior season. What happened?

Southys 3 was fools gold. It was a terrible shot selection, but he made it. So, we started jacking up more of Em. Lost the game right there.

In turn, gtowns selection was good all game. Once they finally started making Em, we were toast.

I so wanted JB to sub for all 5, at least a couple times. Send a message, if nothing else.

Christmas was our second best player today. EASILY.

christmas wasnt one of the top 4 reasons we lost.

1- leaving there only scorer open in porter
2-triche was absolutely pathetically terrible
3- when keita was in the game we were around - 20 for the game
4-mcw wasn't able to penetrate like normal also got into bad habit of jump passing leading to many turnovers

I'm losing confidence that Christmas will ever turn out a good basketball player.

james did miss him on the high low a few times. as good as cj was he sometimes took to long to see the open man vs putting his head down to score

LOL at the continued Christmas hate.

Gets the ball in the post early, drives in the lane and draws a foul on the floor. We don't look to him again except with ridiculous lobs (granted one he probably grabs 99 times out of 100). The end.

Brilliant.

Sub for all 5 with whom?

?..Cooney..Grant..Keita..Coleman

That definitely would have solved the offensive problems.

Couldn't have been worse.

JB tolerates too much fundamentally poor play, and sleep walking stars.

Pull Em out. Chew Em out. Then give Em one more chance

Say what?? First that is blatantly wrong. Secondly there was no second best player for us. Not easily not nohow!

Dude got 8 rebounds (6 defensive) in 29 minutes.

I thought Syracuse fans like big men who block out and forcefully clean the glass.

Say what?? First that is blatantly wrong. Secondly there was no second best player for us. Not easily not nohow!

Christmas was fine today. Absolutely fine.

Where was he lacking? He didn't connect on a lob - clearly a bad miss. Otherwise, what?

Rank the players today in terms of how effective they were. Not simply points, overall production/helping the team win. Annnd go.

No he wasn't.

He stuck out like a sore thumb, with stupid penalties, and even tipping it in for the hoyas.

I am not getting my knickers in a twist, trying to accurately analyze fault levels.

I was more bummed by Carter's turnovers. However, at crucial moments, I noticed Xmas goofing up quite a bit.

Not sure what you saw.

1. Fair

2. Xmas

3. Southerland
4. MCW

5. Triche

6. Keita
7. Grant
8. Cooney

No he wasn't.

He stuck out like a sore thumb, with stupid penalties, and even tipping it in for the hoyas.

I am not getting my knickers in a twist, trying to accurately analyze fault levels.

I was more bummed by Carter's turnovers. However, at crucial moments, I noticed Xmas goofing up quite a bit.

Not sure what you saw.

You know this to be true? Amongst the 4 players in the scrum? Including the BE POY on the other team?

No he wasn't.

Not sure what you saw.

Fine, he stuck out like a sore thumb, run me through the myriad of errors.

The tip is one, although honestly that's just two players jumping for a board and a bad bounce. Hardly an atrocious error.

He missed on a lob. That's two.

Pivotal moment in the game was with about 6 minutes left, SU down 4, MCW drives baseline, throws a great shovel pass to Christmas who should have had a wide open dunk, but instead catchs the ball with this "What-is-this-orange-spherical-object-that-was-just-thrown-to-me, and-What-am-I-supposed-to-do-with-this-orange-spherical-object-now???" look on his face, takes like 42 seconds to gather himself to go up for a shot, then gets PACKAGED. Should have been a dunk and we're down 2, plus we have uncle MO on our side. Instead, Porter hits a three in Triche's face on the next play, 5 point swing. Game over.

The bigger issue though, really, is how in the world do you recruit back-to-back-to-back McD's All-American centers and only get 0.7 total competent seasons out of these 3 players????????? None of them could play a lick as a FR, and only Flop Melo developed at all as a SO.

Pivotal moment in the game was with about 6 minutes left, SU down 4, MCW drives baseline, throws a great shovel pass to Christmas who should have had a wide open dunk, but instead catchs the ball with this "What-is-this-orange-spherical-object-that-was-just-thrown-to-me, and-What-am-I-supposed-to-do-with-this-orange-spherical-object-now???" look on his face, takes like 42 seconds to gather himself to go up for a shot, then gets PACKAGED. Should have been a dunk and we're down 2.

The bigger issue though, really, is how in the world do you recruit back-to-back-to-back McD's All-American centers and only get 0.7 total competent seasons out of these 3 players????????? None of them could play a lick as a FR, and only Flop Melo developed at all as a SO.

MCW starts that drive with about 4 seconds on the shot clock (fairly sure the announcers even pointed out the need for HIM to get a shot off quickly) - I just don't know what Rak was supposed to do with that shot - and if he really took that long to get it up the shot clock would have expired.

So, unless MCW drove all the way down from the wing to the baseline and passed in like .5 seconds just not sure Rak had time for much else.

FWIW, Rak's the only player on the team who had a net positive for the game.

We outscored G'Town by 1 with him on the court.

Same against UConn.

Pivotal moment in the game was with about 6 minutes left, SU down 4, MCW drives baseline, throws a great shovel pass to Christmas who should have had a wide open dunk, but instead catchs the ball with this "What-is-this-orange-spherical-object-that-was-just-thrown-to-me, and-What-am-I-supposed-to-do-with-this-orange-spherical-object-now???" look on his face, takes like 42 seconds to gather himself to go up for a shot, then gets PACKAGED. Should have been a dunk and we're down 2, plus we have uncle MO on our side. Instead, Porter hits a three in Triche's face on the next play, 5 point swing. Game over.

Spot on Mason. Up until that point i wondered why guys weren't looking to feed Rak in the post or from the high/low.

Watching Christmas go up softer than wet charmin on that play told the Hoyas what they already knew - no need to guard the post because there's no threat.

It's what JB has said all season - we'll go as far as our bigs will take us. Unfortunately it won't be very deep in the tourney.

Parity is the only thing keeping me hopeful that we might reach the second weekend of the tourney. Regardless of their seed I'll be thrilled if we make the sweet 16.

MCW starts that drive with about 4 seconds on the shot clock (fairly sure the announcers even pointed out the need for HIM to get a shot off quickly) - I just don't know what Rak was supposed to do with that shot - and if he really took that long to get it up the shot clock would have expired.

So, unless MCW drove all the way down from the wing to the baseline and passed in like .5 seconds just not sure Rak had time for much else.

There was about 4 seconds when MCW made his drive. Xmas caught it with maybe 2 seconds left and got blocked with 1 second left. It was a good play by MCW, Xmas just wasnt able to get it up quick enough. Wouldn't really blame him. Just a good recovery by Georgetown.

I've argued on this board that Christmas isn't a great post player yet. But Christmas was good tonight. He's becoming an above average rebounder which is hard out of the zone. He's a sophomore so he's still raw but we need to feed him in the post way more.

Btw - whoever started this thread must not watch basketball well.