Could Lawrence Moten’s Big East scoring record be in jeopardy next season? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Could Lawrence Moten’s Big East scoring record be in jeopardy next season?

In this day and age, I feel like becoming the all time leading scorer in a major conference is a very weird/unusual accomplishment.

Like, if you’re scoring 18-20 points per game as a freshman and then again as a sophomore, why isn’t the NBA trying to draft you on potential?

There were only 7 schools in the original conference. Five of them were Catholic, with SU and UConn the exceptions. Four of the five remain, and 5 more Catholic schools have been added, Villanova quickly, and the mish-mash of Midwesterns much later (Marquette and DePaul) and much, much later (Creighton and Xavier). Butler is now the real exception.

Fair to point out that Syracuse and UConn were by far the best programs in the league from 1990-onward?

Those other 5 programs mostly aren’t what they were. The landscape has changed. St. John’s and Georgetown don’t have nearly the same cache anymore.

The record book is the record book
When the Apocalypse of 2013 (conference realignment) occurred, the Catholic schools negotiated for, and received, 3 things:

1) the Name--Big East
2) the record book
3) MSG for their league tournament

For this, they paid many millions of dollars, forfeiting NCAA basketball tournament credits that they had earned, plus their portion of the exit fees and tournament credits that SU and Pitt left behind (not sure what happened with ND's credits/exit fee [if there was one]).

The first two are mostly of symbolic value. The tournament may turn out to be worth the price.

It's like this kid scoring points is a personal attack to some of you.

Do you discount Bill Russell's championships? The Yankees, or anyone's, titles until 1958?

The league is the league. The records are the records. What's the big deal?

Yes I absolutely do. Bill Russell is the most overrated player in all of sports.

Moten faced shorter schedules

That's the only reasonable criticism when comparing Moten/Howard that I think is worth mentioning. Moten played in 121 career games and Howard if he plays a full season will play around 130-135.

That's the only reasonable criticism when comparing Moten/Howard that I think is worth mentioning. Moten played in 121 career games and Howard if he plays a full season will play around 130-135.

It's just in Big East play. They both played 18 regular season BE games per year

No final fours true. Connecticut choked in the tournament in both 94 and 95. And yes I just went out of my way to point that out because...screw them.

It really is a completely different league though. I agree with you that it’s a pretty strong basketball league. It’s just a much different league. It should have its own name and own records. It’s not the Big East anymore and pretending it is, is lame. Kill the name and move on, IMO.

Moten faced shorter schedules, fewer games, the brutally physical 6 fouls era. That BE was still strong, even without final four teams. We thumped Arizona and Kentucky non-league.

I hate to defend Storz here but 1995 was not a choke. They were the 2 seed and lost to a 1 seed and eventual champ UCLA in the elite 8. That game was played at a very high level. If storz was in a different bracket that year who knows. Very similar to the 1989 E8 game between Cuse and Illinois.

I hate to defend Storz here but 1995 was not a choke. They were the 2 seed and lost to a 1 seed and eventual champ UCLA in the elite 8. That game was played at a very high level. If storz was in a different bracket that year who knows. Very similar to the 1989 E8 game between Cuse and Illinois.

Yeah, you’re right. I like to return fire though, since they’d be the first to claim our late 80s teams choked. Also - if Joe Smith didn’t get undercut and land viciously, they probably lose to Maryland.

I was rooting hard for UCLA and greatly enjoyed their victory. Also, Rasheed Wallace dunking GTown out of the 95 tournament was awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom